Bilstein 5160 on HZJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fishbulb

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all,

I want to replace the front shocks on my 1994 HZJ73 and I am leaning towards these Bilstein 5160’s. All the specs line up to work well except for the bottom eyelet size.

I am out of town right now and away from my Cruiser so I can’t measure the bottom eyelet size, but internet searches are pointing towards 5/8 inch and the eyelets on these shocks are listed as 12.1mm.

Would the bottom eyelet measurement be of the actual metal hoop or just the bushing size? Would I be able to swap out the bottom bushing to make these fit?

Digging through the threads for hours tonight it looks like FJben did something similar but with 5100’s and a different eyelet size.

IMG_8324.jpeg

IMG_8325.jpeg

IMG_8324.jpeg

IMG_8325.jpeg

Hello all,

I want to replace the front shocks on my 1994 HZJ73 and I am leaning towards these Bilstein 5160’s. All the specs line up to work well except for the bottom eyelet size.

I am out of town right now and away from my Cruiser so I can’t measure the bottom eyelet size, but internet searches are pointing towards 5/8 inch and the eyelets on these shocks are listed as 12.1mm.

Would the bottom eyelet measurement be of the actual metal hoop or just the bushing size? Would I be able to swap out the bottom bushing to make these fit?

Digging through the threads for hours tonight it looks like FJben did something similar but with 5100’s and a different eyelet size.

View attachment 3575975
View attachment 3575977

View attachment 3575973

View attachment 3575974

Yeah impressed out the bilstein bushings and put in ones that fit. If I remember I ordered the first size wrong but got it right the second time.

Bushings need to be changed to 19mm / 3/4"

Just sold a full set of 5125's to a guy in Texas for his HZJ77 and we change the bushings out before they leave here so they are ready for install right out of the box.

Last edited:
Bushings need to be changed to 19mm / 3/4"

Just sold a full set of 5125's to a guy in Texas for his HZJ77 and we chance the bushings out before they leave here so they are ready for install right out of the box.
Would you mind sharing what lengths and valving the shocks are?

3/4 bottom eyelet width. Got it.

As I’m out of town at the moment any chance anyone can give me the length of the bottom eyelet bolt or mounting area?

I’m currently debating the 5160’s (low cost and extra travel), Dobinsons IMS or MRR/MRA (only about 8 inches of travel) and custom Radflo shocks. The Radflos are about $1200 and valved specifically for my setup with 10 inches of travel, but no adjustment knobs.

The only thing pushing me away from the Dobinsons is the shorter amount of travel. I’ve heard so many good things about their ride quality though.

Would you mind sharing what lengths and valving the shocks are?

3/4 bottom eyelet width. Got it.

As I’m out of town at the moment any chance anyone can give me the length of the bottom eyelet bolt or mounting area?

Hello,

I am late to the party.

I use Bilsteins in my 73 Series' front axle. I am not sure about the model; the label is hard to read. It is a direct fit and the ride is good.

Eyelet width is in fact 3/4 in.

The bottom eyelet bolt length is 1 1/2 in. or 38 mm.

Mount outside diameter is 1 5/8 in. or 42 mm. Mount width is 1 1/8 in. or 29 mm.

It is better to use OEM bolts. Part number is 90119-12088.

One detail about bushings. Dobinsons and OME bushings have a design feature that allows them to rotate while the suspension is working. This evens out wear on the bushings.

OEM and other bushings do not rotate and wear unevenly. It is possible to correct this by greasing the bushing.

Regarding travel, remember that our trucks have leaf spring suspensions, which limit the travel. Fancy shock absorbers can be overkill when leaf springs limit the distance they can travel. Even more so with a 25+ year old 70 Series.

I would put in Dobinsons or OME, in that order, and I would not look back.

Juan

Hello,

I am late to the party.

I use Bilsteins in my 73 Series' front axle. I am not sure about the model; the label is hard to read. It is a direct fit and the ride is good.

Eyelet width is in fact 3/4 in.

The bottom eyelet bolt length is 1 1/2 in. or 38 mm.

Mount outside diameter is 1 5/8 in. or 42 mm. Mount width is 1 1/8 in. or 29 mm.

It is better to use OEM bolts. Part number is 90119-12088.

One detail about bushings. Dobinsons and OME bushings have a design feature that allows them to rotate while the suspension is working. This evens out wear on the bushings.

OEM and other bushings do not rotate and wear unevenly. It is possible to correct this by greasing the bushing.

Regarding travel, remember that our trucks have leaf spring suspensions, which limit the travel. Fancy shock absorbers can be overkill when leaf springs limit the distance they can travel. Even more so with a 25+ year old 70 Series.

I would put in Dobinsons or OME, in that order, and I would not look back.

Juan

I appreciate this very detailed response. Thank you.

Dobs might just be the way to go if the travel is limited. I do want the best “ride” I can get.

I just really enjoyed long travel in my Rover, but I’m learning it may not be feasible with my Cruiser.

View attachment 3576624

The rover is coil sprung so it can flex more and make better use of all that shock.

I run bilsteins 5125 and the ride is pretty nice for a leaf spring. I keep thinking about upgrading to IMS dobinsons, but I’m really unsure if it’s worth the cost. That’s $1,000 in shocks vs under $400. Is the ride really that much better? However they are rebuildable so there’s that.

If you really want more flex, Spring over would be the cheapest but it’s at its shortest over 4” lift.
Coils or 3link would ride the best and flex the best, but there’s a lot of work and money involved to get it right.

I really think dobinsons or higher end shocks will help jarring bumps more, washboards etc, but it’s still just a leaf spring rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom