Builds PZJ70 build-refurbish!? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RMP&O,

I have the standard instrument cluster with speedometer, gas gauge, and coolant temperature. I was wondering about sourcing an upgraded instrument cluster for my PZJ75 which comes with a tachometer, smaller coolant temperature, oil pressure and voltage gauges.
Do you know what would be involved in swapping the instrument clusters such as different sensors or wiring changes. The PZJ-75 did have an option available for full gauges.

Thanks,

Charles

RMP&O,

I have the standard instrument cluster with speedometer, gas gauge, and coolant temperature. I was wondering about sourcing an upgraded instrument cluster for my PZJ75 which comes with a tachometer, smaller coolant temperature, oil pressure and voltage gauges.
Do you know what would be involved in swapping the instrument clusters such as different sensors or wiring changes. The PZJ-75 did have an option available for full gauges.

Thanks,

Charles

The main issue would be the tach since the pickup for it (I believe) is on the injection pump. The wiring in your truck may or may not be set up for the higher grade gauge cluster. If it is, it is plug and play although obviously you need all the sensors too. If the wiring isn't the same, you will have to run wires. Other than this it should not be a big deal at all to fit the higher grade gauge cluster.

Cheers

RMP&O,

Thanks,

Charles

I like that no frill cluster, if going to a higher end gauge cluster is a pita (seemingly nothing stops you from a nice restoration), a tiny tach could be a second option.

I think I may end up keeping this truck for awhile longer.

I have had it for sale since I imported it but haven't really pushed it much. On top of this I need a DD and I like this truck a lot. Plus highest offer I have had on it is $20k and I have a lot more than that in it. If somebody comes along and wants to offer closer to what I have in it I will let it go but I think for now I am not going to push it for sale and will keep it. I was offered an FJ55 with 60,000 original miles in trade as well as a 79 FJ40 and a 2015 Tacoma needing body work. I have passed on them all.

This thread has nearly 10k views now so I am sure people are reading it.

Much of what I have done to this truck wasn't broken items needing to be replaced or repaired. It has been preventative and my process of fixing up the truck. That is just how I roll with my personal trucks and always have.

I have not spent much time on my truck in awhile. I been hammering away on a build for a client instead. I am coming to the end of that though in the next few weeks and I have a pretty big round planned for my truck after the clients build.

I am going to completely strip the interior. I have two very small rust spots to fix in the floor, found during my ownership in the last year. I have a bunch of small parts I been acquiring to put into the interior at the same time. I am going to strip all the factory sound deadening off the floor. I am going to clean every hollow panel inside the truck. I am then going to POR15 it all. After that I may put down a new sound deadening material. I have a replacement rear carpet for the truck to go in at the same time and like I say a bunch of little interior bits. My tail lights are not OEM and one has a very small crack in the lens so I am replacing them with very good 2nd hand OEM tail lights.

I have the gauge pictured above to install as well which will go in at the same time the interior strip happens. I also never installed the new speakers in the dash so they will go in then too.

I still would like to POR15 the rear axle as well.

I also bought a 2nd hand sway bar assembly for the front axle, this truck has not had one since I bought it. I don't think it really needs it but for the sake of having a complete truck I picked it up.

I am thinking about replacing the clutch. I have an inquiry out to a buddy in Aus to locate me a good 2nd hand 1HZ flywheel. I think I am going to swap it out and put in a new clutch. I haven't decided which clutch yet but I am leaning towards an Exedy Safari Tuff, had one in a TD Patrol and loved it. Exedy makes a one piece flywheel but man it is expensive! My clutch is working alright but I do get a little shudder from time to time and once in a great while I get some t/o bearing noise. So I am thinking of tearing into it and pulling the trans. Part of the reason is I am very curious what it looks like in there!

I think I am also going to rebuild the tie rods & drag link soon. I have priced it out and it is fairly reasonable from Toyota. The drag link as an assembly is also only like $50 more than just buying the ends so I will probably just buy the assembly. It is not really needing it but for the "refurbish" process I may just go and rebuild it all.

I have been starting to acquire heater parts as well in prep for a heater install. Grabbed a second hand heater core recently and I got the water valve control wire out of Japan a while back with another order. Most of the rest of it is fairly cheap to buy from Toyota so I may start to acquire more to do the heater install.

Mechanically, the truck really doesn't need anything. It is pretty well sorted at this point. I may pull the glow plugs soon and just give them a peek. If I do I will probably compression test it just for the heck of it.

That is about it. There are a few other things on my mind with the truck but it is nothing it really needs just things I may want to do depending on how much longer I have the Cruiser. One of which is sliders.

Cheers
Wise decision Ian, awesome ride you got there.

talking to Land cruiser owners about keeping more land cruisers is really an exercise in decision validation, it's like a group of enablers pushing each other to keep more Land Cruisers... :D

I am very close to deciding on coil sprung on the front end of my truck.

I have everything located to do it for $650.

My only concern is will it fit. I know if the coils wouldn't fit I could run coil overs in place of the coil springs.

Guess I should start taking measurements off one of the two 80-series sitting here at my place.

;)

Cheers

Hello,

I understand 80 Series axles are wider than 70 Series axles.

It would be worth checking the setup of a post-1999 HZJ71/FZJ71 for reference.

Be careful with the steering linkage. Heavy Duty coil sprung 70 Series have part of the rods behind the front axle, at least 1999-on models. Leaf spring trucks have all the linkage ahead of the front axle.

Juan

Hello,

I understand 80 Series axles are wider than 70 Series axles.

It would be worth checking the setup of a post-1999 HZJ71/FZJ71 for reference.

Be careful with the steering linkage. Heavy Duty coil sprung 70 Series have part of the rods behind the front axle, at least 1999-on models. Leaf spring trucks have all the linkage ahead of the front axle.

Juan

Hey Juan, you are right and thanks for the info.

I have converted an 80-series to standard crossover steering before so no worries in that department.

Clearance is definitely an issue with steering and panhard. That for me can all be worked out with lot's of measurements and planning. It is more of a concern with the coil buckets on the axle and also the coil mounts on the frame, due to width of the 70 axle. However and correct me if I am wrong, didn't the frame stay the same in 99 when Toyota went coil sprung front end? Wasn't it 2007 when they widened the front frame and that only for the v8 diesel? Did the 99+ 70 front axle change in width when Toyota went coils? I thought that also took place in 2007 with the wider front clip, not in 99. A lot if not all of the 70-series parts to do the coil conversion are still available from Toyota. It is just much cheaper for me to use 80-series stuff. If the actual coil springs became the main issue like I say I could easily fit coilovers, say a 10-12" King or Fox. I already have RuffStuff 9.5" & 12" coilover shock towers ready to go.

Any ways, just playing with ideas and I have not taken the time yet to start measuring the 80's here and comparing to my 70-series.

Cheers

Hey Juan, you are right and thanks for the info.

I have converted an 80-series to standard crossover steering before so no worries in that department.

Clearance is definitely an issue with steering and panhard. That for me can all be worked out with lot's of measurements and planning. It is more of a concern with the coil buckets on the axle and also the coil mounts on the frame, due to width of the 70 axle. However and correct me if I am wrong, didn't the frame stay the same in 99 when Toyota went coil sprung front end? Wasn't it 2007 when they widened the front frame and that only for the v8 diesel? Did the 99+ 70 front axle change in width when Toyota went coils? I thought that also took place in 2007 with the wider front clip, not in 99. A lot if not all of the 70-series parts to do the coil conversion are still available from Toyota. It is just much cheaper for me to use 80-series stuff. If the actual coil springs became the main issue like I say I could easily fit coilovers, say a 10-12" King or Fox. I already have RuffStuff 9.5" & 12" coilover shock towers ready to go.

Any ways, just playing with ideas and I have not taken the time yet to start measuring the 80's here and comparing to my 70-series.

Cheers

Hello,

Yes, in 2007 both the front frame and the front axle were widened to house the newer V6/V8 engines. And yes, frame and axle width did not change between 1999 and 2007.

The differential carrier assembly is common to both the 70 and 80 Series. So are the suspension arms. Axle is 70 Series-specific.

Shock absorbers, Coils and panhard rods are the same as in pre-1999 models. Coils and springs changed in 2007.

This is the steering linkage. Notice how some parts are reversed when compared to pre-1999 models.

45-05 Steering JPEG diag_2pEcsw.jpg

A while ago, when I replaced the steering damper, a first for me, I spent some time figuring the details out. The manual I had back then did not cover my truck, which confused me. I assumed Light Duty models steering applied, I was wrong. Eventually I got it and changed the stabilizer; it was difficult for me. Later I did the replacement on a pre-1999 model, and I found it easier, because all the mechanism was ahead of the front axle, not just part of it.

Hence the caution comments. Just sharing my experiences.

I have seen coil sprung conversions, but all of them seemed a bit crude to me. After seeing your work, I look forward to see yours.

Juan

A little steering damper customization on a FJ60 I had.

build 5.jpg

Getting ready to do the same thing on a clients FJ40 right now.

74 fj40 92.JPG

Thanks for your input @JuanJ, always appreciate your knowledge.

Cheers

So I sold this truck to a client of mine.

Before he takes possession of it I am doing the following;
-1HZ flywheel conversion and Exedy Safari Tuff clutch.
-POR15 the floor and hollow body panels on the truck, install some interior bits I haven't installed yet.
-Heater install.
-A receiver for towing and wired for a trailer.
-A few other small things and that is about it.

Cheers

Isn't that the way it always is? Just when you make up your mind to keep it and have all kinds of cool stuff lined up for it someone decides to buy it! Looks like we're going to miss out on watching a coil conversion... Congratulations on the sale, though! :)

Looks like the buyer wants me to do more....

-Sound deadening
-Custom front bumper, LEDs and winch.
-Roof Rack, probably Front Runner.
-Storage system for the cargo area. TrekBoxx if they will build us one to suit the SWB 70.

Few other things as well. Man this is already a really nice truck, going to be even better when he takes delivery of it!

Cheers

Would like to know if TrekBoxx does build you one.

Isn't that the way it always is? Just when you make up your mind to keep it and have all kinds of cool stuff lined up for it someone decides to buy it! Looks like we're going to miss out on watching a coil conversion... Congratulations on the sale, though! :)

Well, looks like I am still converting the front end to coils sprung. I new owner wants me to do it.

I will keep this thread going until I turn the truck over to him.

Cheers

A few upgrades and things I am ordering up for the new owner of this truck;

Fridge Console - Cruiser Consoles

Roof Consoles - Cruiser Consoles

Front Runner USA can't special order us the drawers we want so I am having my 3rd party in Australia grab this for us.

Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Drawer Kit - by Front Runner

Sourcing everything to do the coil conversion in front from a local guy I know who parts Cruisers. Ya, using 80-series for all of it. If there is no room to make the coil springs fit, I will use a coilover. I already have RuffStuff 9.5" & 12" c/o towers. I also have a lot of heavy duty steering parts here to change the steering around as needed for the panhard bar fitment.

On Friday I am dropping the truck off at GreenSpeed (I am leaving town Saturday for two weeks) which is a local fab shop that is currently producing some very nice 80-series parts. I am going to have them CAD me up a design or two for a new front bumper on the PZJ70, client requested.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom