Builds PZJ70 build-refurbish!? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thats a great amount of work the last couple weeks, looks awesome.
Noticed you got the rear interior vent grills, nice to see stuff like that still available.
Thanks for keeping us updated

Thats a great amount of work the last couple weeks, looks awesome.
Noticed you got the rear interior vent grills, nice to see stuff like that still available.
Thanks for keeping us updated

Thanks!

I have also been working on this a lot,

Updating a 1990's build

Steering wheel is done.

steering wheel1.JPG

Cheers

Wheel looks great, nice job with the gorilla glue and drill, never would have thought of that to bond a cracked wheel.

Thanks again!

It feels awesome in my hands and I don't think it looks to out of place.

Cheers

Hello,

Very good work with the restoration of that wheel.

I guess Boise's climate is a lot drier than Central America. Quite likely the plastic in that wheel lost what humidity it had and became brittle.

Juan

Put in Rotella 15w-40, new filter, and changed out both oil pressure relief valves. I installed a new intake manifold gasket and valve cover gasket as well. I had Castrol CRB 15w-40 in it before. Took it for a 25 mile drive this evening, it seems to like the Rotella. The Rotella is what I have ran in previous diesels but in Latin America the Castrol was the best I could get.

The Cruiser is happy! :grinpimp:

1pz 7.JPG

1pz 8.JPG

1pz 9.JPG

1pz 10.JPG

Cheers

How do you know your engine likes a different oil ? I would have thought Castrol would make oil as good as any other .

How do you know your engine likes a different oil ? I would have thought Castrol would make oil as good as any other .

Technically I don't.

It does sound great though with the Rotella in it. It revs super smooth & idles nice and quiet so it seems to like the Rotella.

Cheers

I figured what good is a factory jack if you don't have the hand crank so I got one.

jack1.JPG

I have had some rattles in my truck. The console was one but it has been fixed. The cowl was another. So I installed all new clips and a new seal and this rattle is gone.

cowl1.JPG

cowl.JPG

Another place I had rattles were the door windows when the windows were down. So I replaced the runs as well as the inner & outer window wiper weather strips. No more rattle now and it is super nice, like new.

windows1.JPG

windows.JPG

That was the last of them, no more noisy rattles on this truck! All I can hear now is the stereo or the rumble of the diesel.

Cheers

Last edited:

Hello,

Engine operating temperature, idle speed and noise indicate whether an engine likes oil or not.

Engine temperature can drop some 4 F / 2.22 C with a good oil.

Noise may go down 2 to 5 dB, but this is tricky to measure on a diesel engine.

Idle speed increase varies from engine to engine.

All of the above results from less friction between engine components.

Juan

Hello,

Engine operating temperature, idle speed and noise indicate whether an engine likes oil or not.

Engine temperature can drop some 4 F / 2.22 C with a good oil.

Noise may go down 2 to 5 dB, but this is tricky to measure on a diesel engine.

Idle speed increase varies from engine to engine.

All of the above results from less friction between engine components.

Juan

Said far better than I did!

Cheers

A/C compressor cracked open today, turns out the pistons are pretty worn. Not surprised for a 28yr old A/C compressor. I have confirmed an FJ62 compressor is the same and I found a new one for $285 that is suited for R12. It is on the way to me. I will fit my new OEM switch and pulley to it and then recharge and all should be well.

New Master cylinder going in the truck very soon, possibly this weekend.

Dealt with this the other day....

bolt.JPG

Trans drain plug, since I got it out a new plug and crush washer went in and new gear oil as well.

The truck is running and driving exceptionally well.

Cheers

Posting this picture for anyone who might need these part numbers.

IMG_6405.JPG

Interior trim clips.
Plugs for the holes in the floor, (body mount & others).
Plastic cover for the doors, under the trim.

Cheers

Last edited:
I was 99% sure the FJ62 compressor was a go but you never know for sure when using parts like this.

IMG_6423.JPG
IMG_6424.JPG

IMG_6426.JPG

It is a go! Coolstream is who hooked me up with this, $285+shipping. I was going to toss my new OEM pulley and switch on it but there is no need so saving that for another truck.

Cheers

Just a small rant!

Auto repair shops are such a scam. I was quoted by one of only two shops here in Boise with r12 to reseal my compressor and recharge with r12. They quoted $500, which is a lot to me but I know r12 is expensive. They turn that into $975 for a new compressor which I obviously said no thanks and got my own. I call them back for the recharge and they want $450 to recharge it!! I am like wtf!? I am also like where is my old r12, all I got to that question was an uhhhhhhh!

I call the other shop, more than $200 cheaper.

A good reminder why I started doing all my own work years ago. And I totally got the vibe from the expensive shop that they take advantage of people not in the know. The way they talked to me and key words they used made it obvious.

So glad I am not at the mercy of these crooks for repairs on my trucks!

Rant over.

Cheers

@RMP&O Bummer I have my old 1HZ R12 compressor I was selling, you still want it?

@RMP&O Bummer I have my old 1HZ R12 compressor I was selling, you still want it?

No, all is well other than one of two shops here with r12 trying to take me for a ride.

Thanks anyways though.

Cheers

Changing out my master cylinder, I was wrong the cups are not shot. It actually has had a rebuild not long ago. There is however some corrosion in the bore.

IMG_6442.JPG

IMG_6444.JPG

Probably can't see it in the pic, I can hardly see it with the naked eye but I can feel it with my finger.

Next issue, I believe now this is a front drum brake MC suited for an HJ47. It had me confused because the lines really didn't look bent or modified. This one (HJ47) is top for the ports, new OEM one is side. At first I thought I got the wrong one, then I searched google and found a pic of an HJ47 MC and it looks exactly like mine. The new one also has a brake fluid level sensor which threw me off until I found the plug in my harness. So I am bending the lines back to side port and mounting up the new MC.

For the record the brakes in this truck have been good since I bought it it just had this weird soft pedal every once in awhile. Pretty sure I found the cause of that.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom