Builds Putting the rust demon at bay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Could you please give the measurement from the side and the top to center of the housing for reference. I need to do this to mine.

Other progress was in the form of cutting, welding and grinding and welding and grinding and yet there is still more to go.
55568EA3-E97D-4648-826F-C3A869E3BBB7.jpeg
The fenders are getting close to ready for a bondo skim coat. The turn signal holes are filled and the old steering box opening has been deleted.
78D8FD26-F465-47DD-BB1F-BD3FF9AFE5CE.jpeg

This brace surprised me: the outer edge was rotten, but just a few inches up the brace it still had good factory paint on the brace.
05306930-E77F-4BFC-856A-3C46D657C108.jpeg

Like I said, I’ve deleted the turn signal on the fender. So I have a freebie for anyone patching their fenders. I know mine rotted out in my original fenders. This one is in good shape, the other one was toast. Pay the shipping and I’ll send it to you.
51CC6043-78E3-4D4D-9140-4544E3345485.jpeg
4B5B04E6-9000-4B1F-8386-27BACE1FEDBE.jpeg

Last edited:
So here’s the rust repair on the drivers side. It’s not the prettiest and the purists will notice the bump out for the pto(?) is missing. Sorry that’ll no longer be necessary.View attachment 2566201 Notice the gap on the top side of the patch piece(s) is a bit big to stitch weld. Also a bit nightmarish to make a proper patch. Plan here is to get the current bottom piece in place and then cut out a nice straight hole to patch rather than the jagged mess that is currently needed.
I had tried setting this patch up out of the vehicle and got a little happy with the cutoff wheel. Good news is the higher I go, the thicker the metal gets.

As I was making dinner tonight, I glanced at the frig and saw this picture. Five years ago I still had the (rusty) steel body. This guy is nine now.
View attachment 2566202
He made me a cruiser today with a 3D printing pen...
View attachment 2566203
Sadly, I’m starting think the welding gene isn’t real strong in our family. I’ve got lots of welding to do this weekend to work on it though.
Awesome Progress! Still shopping a welder so I can really create some problems for myself!

Could you please give the measurement from the side and the top to center of the housing for reference. I need to do this to mine.
Here you go. Basically it sits in the rear drivers side of the sump. The white ring isn’t centered on the pump, so don’t judge by that.
BA3B434B-7B85-4B70-B629-05C4CAE81DA3.jpeg
87A4C8E1-46FC-4A06-ABE3-2C4DFF570E30.jpeg

Awesome Progress! Still shopping a welder so I can really create some problems for myself!
My home unit is a 110v Lincoln mig and it’s good for sheet metal and light duty stuff. I have access to a 220 Miller mig at work and it’s the tool for stuff like bumpers and such. Work also has a tig, but I haven’t learned to use it, yet...

My home unit is a 110v Lincoln mig and it’s good for sheet metal and light duty stuff. I have access to a 220 Miller mig at work and it’s the tool for stuff like bumpers and such. Work also has a tig, but I haven’t learned to use it, yet...
Its been about 15-20 years since i've done some welding. I really need a new drivers floor board, Rear of the truck needs some help since one of the spare tire holding hinges isn't attached to anything anymore :(

FJ40.jpg

Covid is currently swirling around us, so we are staying home more than usual during this troubling time- Thankfully, we remain untouched. Progress continues on the hump instead of normal activities. Welding, grinding, welding and grinding- rinse and repeat...
0503D538-B0D9-486A-BBA9-C15FAF49856F.jpeg
While I am making progress, I grow tired of the repeated theme and so I decided to do some mock up with the fenders and soft doors. This turned out to boost moral. Every time I add something that gets it closer to looking like a cruiser again, I feel better about my progress. Plus these are really easy to remove.
52A39B2D-D5D6-4B9A-8917-21C16225BD5B.jpeg
I’ve got a question for other Aqualu owners-
The leading edge of the aluminum floor overlaps the steel in this picture- what are people filling the with gap with?
93DE603A-753E-455A-9B20-87A3527647CD.jpeg
I’m planning to use the Silkaflex in between the layers and I’ll be redoing the cowl seams with SEM 2 part caulking. I have both of those to fill the void with if it advisable. In addition, I’m planning to prime paint the mating surfaces, followed by assembling the tub and cowl before sending it out for paint. While in paint, the aluminum portion of the tub will receive (color matched) raptor liner, but not the steel cowl. This will further make the difference noticeable. So This needs to be a durable filler that can fill 1/2” gap and be flexible. Perhaps this is asking to much and I should invest in Floor mats, but I’d rather be able fill the gap to keep it clean of mud.

Ok, this thing is kicking my ass. First I cut to much off on the drivers side or made poor patch panels. Then I had to move the shifter holes- should of just made a whole new piece for that, instead I pieced together to much old metal. This caused me to chase thin metal that disappeared when touched with the mig. And then there was this side, because I have an Aqualu tub, I had to flatten this edge,
059BAB7B-FDE1-46F3-ACF7-FBDE348507E0.jpeg
It’s been a learning expierence...
F5C54533-6E1B-4BB3-9F68-246208FF1B88.jpeg
This pic was a moral booster, just seeing a few pieces put back together was nice.
87873723-CC45-4187-8BEF-50AFEE221AA4.jpeg
This is where I left it today. Once again the shift boots liftemy moral. Also, I wanted the holes drilled and the nuts welded on before going any further.
F36B386F-7967-46BC-BCBF-E38CD893EA4D.jpeg

Still need to drill holes for the tunnel/tub, but that’s waiting for some nutcerts. Also I ordered a generic shifter knob for the transfer case- I couldn’t stomach ~$40 for the stock one. It’ll be black and low key.
25E61DD1-2DF4-444B-BB6B-EC51A74BB0E7.jpeg
The shifter boots are a stock Toyota dust cover for the transfer from CCOT and a PRP for an UTV for the Sm465. Had to make a trim ring for the PRP unit but that was easy and enjoyable.

Your going to bedline the inside only or outside too?
My plan is to bedline the inside of the aluminum portion of the tub. I'm avoiding the steel for fear of the rust being encapsulated. I considered Lizard Skin, because of the reported benefits, but I think I'm passing on it. I never run the top so the heat blocking potential (in Idaho) is lost on me. The noise reduction I need topless is in the form of wind noise- I can hear the hum of the tires, but engine/transmission noise are moderate in comparison.
Did you do both sides?
Do you think it was worth it in hindsight?

Are you going to use alu nutserts?
Keep in mind that nutserts start to turn when the bolts get stuck. This makes removing the tunnel difficult in the future.
I was going to use stainless steel nutserts, I thought I had read these were the desired material in aluminum.

I was going to use stainless steel nutserts, I thought I had read these were the desired material in aluminum.
You might consider aluminium nutserts with stainless bolts. If you can weld aluminium, tack the nutserts to the floor that way they won’t spin when the bolts get stuck.

My plan is to bedline the inside of the aluminum portion of the tub. I'm avoiding the steel for fear of the rust being encapsulated. I considered Lizard Skin, because of the reported benefits, but I think I'm passing on it. I never run the top so the heat blocking potential (in Idaho) is lost on me. The noise reduction I need topless is in the form of wind noise- I can hear the hum of the tires, but engine/transmission noise are moderate in comparison.
Did you do both sides?
Do you think it was worth it in hindsight?
I did lizard skin on the underside but not in the wheel wells. The lizard skin is somewhat fragile so I didn't think it would hold up in the wheel wells. Raptor is on the inside and on the underside of the wheel wells, The lizard skin does some to help some with heat transfer. The best thing I did was the interior firewall Insulation I installed. I would recommend doing the firewall Insulation before putting the interior back together. My firewall gets really hot. Not fun having hot feet while wheeling in the desert. The Raptor is ok and makes the inside of the tub look really nice. Not as tough as linex or rhino liner though.

You might consider aluminium nutserts with stainless bolts. If you can weld aluminium, tack the nutserts to the floor that way they won’t spin when the bolts get stuck.
Makes sense and I have tig at work I need to learn how to use. My thought was that while aluminum and stainless will have a reaction, but if I use a stainless nutcert and bolt the threads are less likely to corrode and put a twisting load on the nutcert. Where as a aluminum nutcert is more likely seize a stainless bolt and twist out. My experience with antiseize isn't great (better than nothing though).

Makes sense and I have tig at work I need to learn how to use. My thought was that while aluminum and stainless will have a reaction, but if I use a stainless nutcert and bolt the threads are less likely to corrode and put a twisting load on the nutcert. Where as a aluminum nutcert is more likely seize a stainless bolt and twist out. My experience with antiseize isn't great (better than nothing though).
We use antiseize on 72mm bolts, with 250 metric tons of preload, in offshore situations and they look horrible but come loose after 3 years with no drama. We had to loosen 72mm bolts with far less load, and only 2 months in, that sounded like someone was firing a canon. Just use the good stuff. The advantage of using the same material for the nutserts as what they are mounted to is that you can weld them they start spinning. These bolts don’t need a lot of preload, it’s only to hold two parts together from leaking no structural function.

Last edited:
I tapped the floor holes I drilled. Held down the tunnel fine with 6x1.0 bolts. I was just careful not to overtighten them. I think the floor is 3/16 thick.
This likely my route the more I think about it. Nutcerts sounded like a good solution at first, but this discussion has swayed me away from them.

I need most of all the some done on mine! Good luck and if anyone wants to help with mine, I don't pay well, don't have a heated garage, but I work for a brewery so lots of free beer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom