Pulling engine - condenser question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lexustruck

SILVER Star
Threads
How’s it going MUD, long time reader - first time poster here.

First off I need to thank everyone on this forum, I definitely wouldn’t have made it this far on my engine rebuild without this place and the people that have populated it with their knowledge and experiences.

Now for the nitty gritty - I have a new-to-me LX450. PO didn’t torque the crank bolt down to the 300ft/lbs it needs to engage the oil pump and at some point it lost oil pressure and (we think) spun some bearings. I bought a second FZ to rebuild and swap into the truck. The new FZ is done and the time has come to do the swap. I’ll be pulling just the engine and leaving the transmission in.

I’m opening up the portal in the grille and all that’s left in the way is the A/C condenser - I’m wondering if and how I would be able to get this thing out of the way without opening the A/C system and letting the refrigerant out. I’ve heard and read that it’s possible but don’t see how exactly. There are hard lines going in and out on both sides of the condenser, but the drivers side line that goes to the drier looks like it’ll be an issue. My notes say I’ll be able to lay the condenser on the passenger side fender well but I’m not seeing it :bang:

Any and all advice is appreciated - thanks in advance. If anyone has any questions about the build or the truck feel free to ask away

Also inb4 “search bar” - I’ve tried :flipoff2: between forums and youtube, I haven’t seen a concrete answer

Thanks MUD for helping me get closer to actually wheeling this truck for the first time :cheers:

I've heard it's possible to leave it in place as well but in reality, I couldn't figure out how it would possibly work and just evacuated the system and took the condenser off. Its way easier to pick the engine trans with it out, If you find a way to keep it in place, you are risking damaging it seriously. The engine and trans barely clear the front cross member when picking in a normal size garage.

I don't know either, I've disconnected it 3 times now pulling engines. However, I came across a thread in the last year where not only was the front clip still put together, but the HOOD was still on and they managed to sqeeze the 1fz out. so i suppose if you're determined enough there is in fact a way.

This is one way........

I've heard it's possible to leave it in place as well but in reality, I couldn't figure out how it would possibly work and just evacuated the system and took the condenser off. Its way easier to pick the engine trans with it out, If you find a way to keep it in place, you are risking damaging it seriously. The engine and trans barely clear the front cross member when picking in a normal size garage.
Yep, this is my first time going this deep into a car and as I look around the engine bay I can’t fathom how it’d stay connected and not get in the way so I’ll probably be evacuating the system. I have enough money in this build and I’d prefer to not need to buy a new condenser.

I don't know either, I've disconnected it 3 times now pulling engines. However, I came across a thread in the last year where not only was the front clip still put together, but the HOOD was still on and they managed to sqeeze the 1fz out. so i suppose if you're determined enough there is in fact a way.
I don’t trust myself to squeeze it out without destroying everything as I pull it - that is quite the feat though, props to whoever tried and pulled that off

I cant seem to find my pictures of when I pulled the engine from my 95 a couple of years ago. I did not seperate the condensor. I pulled the hood and was able to lift it high enough to clear the condenser. I think I was able to move it downward enough to clear. The garage I have is a 2 story RV garage so had plenty of room to lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom