Pulling 80 on a tow dolly? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched. The most recent person to flat tow a 80 is Mikesta and he has thousands of miles flat towing with the tranny in park and transfer case in neutral with no issues. My question is if i take off my front drive shaft and lock cdl button couldn't I pull the 80 on a tow dolly?

If he has thousands of miles of successful towing in his configuration, are there circumstances which prevent you from duplicating his efforts? Also, if your already pulling the front shaft, it wouldn't be that much greater of a time investment to pull the rear as well. Granted you can't just drive it off the dolly immediately...

I'd def pull the rear shaft. Maybe an extra 15 mins.

That is the whole point, I dont want to mess with the rear drive shaft. I am asking if not having the front drive shaft would damage anything?

Flat towing means all 4 wheels are on the ground. Using a dolly you lift either the front or rear axle off the ground.

If you use a dolly and lift the front, then you remove the rear drive shaft. If you lift the rear, you remove the front shaft. That is the only way you can tow a constant 4wd on a dolly without using an additional dolly on the other axle. The shaft doesn't have to be removed, just undone at the axle end and tied up to the chassis.

people have towed their rigs behind rvs without any dolly... all 4 wheels on the ground. I believe the way to do it is to leave the tranny in park and put the transfer case in neutral. Do a quick search for towing behind and rv. This was recently covered.

Flat towing means all 4 wheels are on the ground. Using a dolly you lift either the front or rear axle off the ground.

If you use a dolly and lift the front, then you remove the rear drive shaft. If you lift the rear, you remove the front shaft. That is the only way you can tow a constant 4wd on a dolly without using an additional dolly on the other axle. The shaft doesn't have to be removed, just undone at the axle end and tied up to the chassis.

Concur, that would be the best way to do it. I would assume front wheels on the dolly would be best due to steering issues with front wheels on the ground.

I don't have experience with dolly towing, but the advise on the shafts are spot on. Have done enough pulling on all 4 now to determine it is fine to do so.

This is what happens when you tow an AWD vehicle using a dolly and leave the drive shafts in place :meh:

DSMtowfoulup.JPG

DSMtowfoulup2.JPG

DSMtowfoulup3.JPG

DSMtowfoulup4.JPG

DSMtowfoulup5.JPG

Snapped those a couple years back and it looked like they had just bought the car :doh:

Haskins,

I think I see what you're getting at.

If you pull the front DS and lock the center diff., you essentially have a rear wheel 2wd vehicle, like a Mustang or whatever. And those can safely be dolly-towed as long as the tranny's in neutral, correct?

I haven't thought it through completely, but I do think that what you're saying makes sense.

I'm guessing that when it's off the dolly you'd just leave the front DS off?

Tranny in park, transfer case in neutral. As christo mentioned earlier.

I have searched. The most recent person to flat tow a 80 is Mikesta and he has thousands of miles flat towing with the tranny in park and transfer case in neutral with no issues. My question is if i take off my front drive shaft and lock cdl button couldn't I pull the 80 on a tow dolly?

IMHO you should either flat tow or put it on a trailer. You go towing it on a dolly and you'll be wearing out 2 of your tires more than the other 2 - which is not the best of things to do with our full time 80 series. The more miles you tow it, the bigger the tire wear difference will be.

I dollied mine when I bought it. I removed the rear shaft and it worked fine.

CJF gets it! If you remove the front shaft it is no longer an AWD and no i dont want to take off the rear shaft that way i can still drive it like normal. All i am asking is if by taking off the front shaft and locking the cdl if i would damage any parts inside the transfer case (seeing as an 80 can be pulled on all four).

Is towing on top of the big 'ol nasty flat bed (all wheels on the platform) a good solution? i'm looking to go about 12 miles, and AARP cover 100 round trip. i just need to get it home from the work parking lot.

Is towing on top of the big 'ol nasty flat bed (all wheels on the platform) a good solution? i'm looking to go about 12 miles, and AARP cover 100 round trip. i just need to get it home from the work parking lot.

Of course.

Any time you need a commercial tow they either need a flat-bed or a standard truck that also has dollies that ride under the rear wheels (= none of the Cruiser's wheels are turning).

Make sure EVERYONE who drives your rig knows this.

Christo how much can you drive on the front axle only?

Tried to tow

I just triaed to tow my LX behind a military 5 ton truck with no luck. I was testing it around the shop and the front tires turned the opposite direction of where the vehicle was turning. For a right hand turn the wheels would go full lock left.

I recently had a cruiser friend install a 2" heavy kit from Slee. i am sure he correctly installed the supplied bushings.

Any thoughts?

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Christo how much can you drive on the front axle only?

I would not wheel it like that, but there should be no limit as to how far you drive it in FWD only. Just have the CDL locked.

As to why the wheels are turning the wrong way, did not have the problem with mine. Try going straight first and then gradual turns. If you turn sharp, the back end of the truck might be swinging opposite direction you are turning, so the truck has to go the opposite way first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom