PS Pulley Removal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All, Been trying to remove a Pulley from the PS pump shaft. Is there a certain method or trick to this?

I have done a search on here because I remember seeing a thread about it a few years ago but I cannot find it. I have also looked at the FSM but I did not see anything specific to the removal of the pulley.

It would be helpful to know what you are working on.

It would be helpful to know what you are working on.
I am replacing my PS Pump on my 3FE. I bought a Used PS pump with a pulley on it and I am trying to Remove the pulley from the New/Used pump.

1696444412891.png

Since you have no belt, you'll need either a strap wrench to hold the pulley, or a vise. Or both. An impact wrench may do it, but I haven't personally tried.

Once you get the nut off, you may have to encourage the pulley to leave its nest with a brass hammer.

The 3FE shaft is keyed but not tapered. Unless rusted it should come of fairly easily using the method shown above.

OK, Ya I have hit it with some penetrating Oil. Sounds like it is just gonna take some elbow grease to get the pully off.

Or heat...

The 3FE shaft is keyed but not tapered. Unless rusted it should come of fairly easily using the method shown above.
The 3FE shaft has a woodruff key and is tapered along with the pulley. You can't put the pulley on backwards, trust me, I tried.
After 32 years it's probably going to need some persuasion. I remember this being a project when I rebuilt my pump. And you can't get the pump out with the pulley in place. Not the best design IMO.

Hint: put a dab of grease on the woodruff key to keep it in place during reassembly, as that sucker loves to fall out. It also doesn't hurt to lightly grease the shaft to prevent corrosion.
A strap wrench is the key along with a rattle gun. A large 2 or 3 jaw puller can work well to remove the pulley, as long as you don't bend the edges of the pulley. Use some scraps of wood to spread the load. Try not to loose patience and start hitting it with a hammer. That won't end well.

Last edited:
The 3FE shaft has a woodruff key and is tapered along with the pulley. You can't put the pulley on backwards, trust me, I tried.
After 32 years it's probably going to need some persuasion. I remember this being a project when I rebuilt my pump. And you can't get the pump out with the pulley in place. Not the best design IMO.

Hint: put a dab of grease on the woodruff key to keep it in place during reassembly, as that sucker loves to fall out. It also doesn't hurt to lightly grease the shaft to prevent corrosion.
A strap wrench is the key along with a rattle gun. A large 2 or 3 jaw puller can work well to remove the pulley, as long as you don't bend the edges of the pulley. Use some scraps of wood to spread the load. Try not to loose patience and start hitting it with a hammer. That won't end well.

The taper must be slight. The photos of the shaft that I could find make it look straight.

Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 09-54-43 4431212030 Genuine Toyota SHAFT VANE PUMP 44312-12030 eBay.png

The taper must be slight. The photos of the shaft that I could find make it look straight.

View attachment 3448706
I suppose it's possible that the shaft changed over the years, My old 91 was visibly tapered as was the pulley. The pulley can only go on 1 way due to the taper. At least that's the way it was on mine. Build date of 04/91.
Of course I'm old and crusty, so my memory might be playing tricks on me.
What I do remember clearly is spending about 30 minutes looking for the damn woodruff key that dropped into the engine bay.

Last edited:
So, I got a pulley remove tool but still can't get the pulley off the shaft. I don't want to muscle it to much cuz I don't want to bend tje pulley

So, I got a pulley remove tool but still can't get the pulley off the shaft. I don't want to muscle it to much cuz I don't want to bend tje pulley
You can cut a piece of 3/4 ply in a "U" shape to slip behind the pulley to spread the load.

Get out your map torch and start heating the pulley. Focus the heat on the pulley vs the shaft as much as you can. Get it really hot and shock it with PB blaster. This will likely ruin the seal on the pump, but who cares if you have a new pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom