Prospeed 100 series roof rack! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is identical to the 80/20 2x1 extrusions which mean prinsu accessories and others that use t slot attachments will work perfectly

Do they feature the cut outs in the 80/20 extrusion like the prinsu bars so t-slot attachments can be added without removing them?

Good Job! Great looking rack!

Looks great! Can you tell me what the distance between the side profiles is? I need a rack to carry 48” wide plywood from time to time. Are those 2x1 extrusions over 48”?

Looks great! Can you tell me what the distance between the side profiles is? I need a rack to carry 48” wide plywood from time to time. Are those 2x1 extrusions over 48”?

The cross bars are 51", so a 4x8 will fit with room to spare

Looks nice from the outside...but do the mounting feet still look like this?
1566258995757.png

At $895 price tag, you are in the realm of dissent's rack ($1000) For $125 more (and arguably cheaper shipping), you can get a dissent rack... and his mounting situation is bulletproof...
1566259596584.png

Last edited:
Looks nice from the outside...but do the mounting feet still look like this?
View attachment 2062371

At $895 price tag, you are in the realm of dissent's rack ($1000) For $125 more (and arguably cheaper shipping), you can get a dissent rack... and his mounting situation is bulletproof...
View attachment 2062383

Not sure why the mounting is a problem for you... the brackets are actually thicker and slightly different than the picture above. The dissent looks completely different and looks is a matter of preference. If you like the dissent go with dissent if you like the prospeed rack go prospeed. The prospeed rack is also bulletproof as you say.. hasn’t had an issue holding up 180 lbs RTT 2 adult and a child without an issue. 😊

Not sure why the mounting is a problem for you... the brackets are actually thicker and slightly different than the picture above. The dissent looks completely different and looks is a matter of preference. If you like the dissent go with dissent if you like the prospeed rack go prospeed. The prospeed rack is also bulletproof as you say.. hasn’t had an issue holding up 180 lbs RTT 2 adult and a child without an issue. 😊
Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but I would bet you’ll start seeing issues with those mounts. The rivnuts in the roof are seeing a moment from those brackets, and it’s not something I’d be happy with. Especially considering how sensitive to water ingress that area is.

I’d be real curious to record the RTT+people+gear and actually see how much flex is going on at the brackets. I bet you’d be surprised to see how much it actually deflects. Not just the bracket itself, but that bolted joint at the roof, all together. Those hard points in the roof are designed for pure tension....

I guess my point is, $900 bucks shouldn’t get you a bracket where convenience was the main design criteria, especially when the price was set to fall in line with competitors (Gamiviti, Dissent). If the price for the rack was $500 I’d definitely not be as critical and I think it’d be a slick, low budget, good looking option.

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but I would bet you’ll start seeing issues with those mounts. The rivnuts in the roof are seeing a moment from those brackets, and it’s not something I’d be happy with. Especially considering how sensitive to water ingress that area is.

I’d be real curious to record the RTT+people+gear and actually see how much flex is going on at the brackets. I bet you’d be surprised to see how much it actually deflects. Not just the bracket itself, but that bolted joint at the roof, all together. Those hard points in the roof are designed for pure tension....

I guess my point is, $900 bucks shouldn’t get you a bracket where convenience was the main design criteria, especially when the price was set to fall in line with competitors (Gamiviti, Dissent). If the price for the rack was $500 I’d definitely not be as critical and I think it’d be a slick, low budget, good looking option.

I understand where you’re coming from but my argument would be if it was an issue we would see problems with the prinsu racks as they mount identical to the way ours is mounted... they have sold thousands for years now on many different models and platforms...only difference between our rack vs theirs is ours being a 2 piece system vs their 1 piece bent version. Not sure where you get convenience from but I have yet to see this style of mount fail.

What gauge are the brackets you’re using? Are they angle bar or bent by you? The photo looks like 16 gauge with a bend in it to me. I’m only asking because you said they are different than the photo. Photo looks like they are too long from the roof point to the rail.

Seeing how the dissent rack mounts now, makes me want to get it, just not a fan of the angles and come over the corners.

What gauge are the brackets you’re using? Are they angle bar or bent by you? The photo looks like 16 gauge with a bend in it to me. I’m only asking because you said they are different than the photo. Photo looks like they are too long from the roof point to the rail.

Seeing how the dissent rack mounts now, makes me want to get it, just not a fan of the angles and come over the corners.

That pic of the mounting bracket is an old pic, the updated one is 1/4” thick steel. It’s not going anywhere or bend anytime soon. Once bolted together it’s a sturdy unit.

That first pic was the first prototype off of my car. The new bracket is laser cut, thicker and stronger! Not issues with the angles take a look at the prinsu rack mounting point... they’re using the 5051 side rails we’re using 1/4” steel. 👍🏼

I have the Prospeed rack, loaded up with over 250lbs of gear and fuel, went offroad, highway speeds 95mph +..nothing fell off or broke so i can attest to its strength. Drove 7000 miles and the wind noise wasn't an issue with the fairing installed.

48216081816_69410a3fe0_h.jpg

I even stood on it

48106908418_5985996931_h.jpg
I noticed you have the thru bumper hitch. I wanted to see if you found a way to use that hitch for anything with the spare tire in place? If so, how did you do it? My bike rack, ball, nor my storage flat rack will fit because they all run into the spare. When I saw yours in the picture above it caught my eye. Just thought I'd check? Thanks for any tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom