Project : VR12000 switch to synthetic line and... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a well built 2002 100 series with a TJM front bumper housing a Warn VR12000 winch (my first winch).

I've used the winch to move some downed tree from trails, and cars stuck in snowy parking lots (light work) - but never had the line out very far. I haven't had success getting it to consistently free-spool - and now cannot seem to move the lever to that position at all. When I powered it out last to check the line, I saw that there appear to be a couple of wire kinks in the line (with no way to clear them - line jams on the spool).

So the project ahead is to remove the TJM bumper, address corrosion, review the winch function with full access, make the switch to a Master Pull synthetic line and reinstall.

upload_2017-5-14_17-32-4.png

Can anyone offer any advice to a very novice wrench? How much time should I budget? What should I do for a midlife VR 12000 to insure a long life (and happy free spooling) in the future?

For the corrosion, I thought I would sand/grind, prime and paint. (If there is a better & affordable approach I'm interested).

upload_2017-5-14_17-33-51.png

This is a truck I hope to own for 10+ years and I believe broadly in doing a job correctly the first time (and fixing the items that need mending along the way).

Appreciate any inputs.

Check out my thread on the issues I ran into with my VR12000 winch. They're almost identical to yours and after just a few pulls it was hard to get the line to free spool properly. Then it became impossible to turn the clutch lever and that is when I knew I needed to addresss the issue before I really needed to use it.

Warn VR12000 Issues

Thanks for the reference - great write up. (Regrets I didn't find in a first search). Symptoms sound similar - though I believe this winch has been on the vehicle for 5+ years.

As far as the bumper goes go ahead and do what you are planning and then look at some type of bedliner to put over the paint. I had a similar problem and I completely got rid of the rust then painted with a etching primer. After the primer I sprayed bedliner on the bumper. So far after a few years it is holding up very well. Being on the front of the vehicle you need a coating that won't chip easily and keep the corrosion to a minimum. If you just paint it plan on doing the same thing all over again in a few years. Powder coating is good if you don't have any sharp edges. If powder coating ever gets chipped then the steel will rust underneath and the powder coating easily flakes off.

Thanks for the reference - great write up. (Regrets I didn't find in a first search). Symptoms sound similar - though I believe this winch has been on the vehicle for 5+ years.
If you would like to see the exploded parts diagram for our winch I still have it tucked away. I can scan it and post it up if you don't have it and think it would be helpful. I know it helped me tremendously when it came to reassembly.

Greg - Thanks for the bedliner idea. Sounds like a reasonable idea for this space (out of view - but subject to abrasion / exposure). I think the steel winch cable has to be hard on the finish as well.

Forger - I have a exploded diagram in my warm info bundle. Looks like I'll just have to start into this project and see where it leads.

Thanks -- Rick

Let me know if you have any questions about the process. My best advice is to take lots of pics during disassembly (I know it will be greasy and require you to constantly stop but you will thank me later), it will help with the reassembly process since there are tons of small parts and the gears have to be oriented a specific way.

Took a day off work and cut into the job. Forgot how slow I am.... Accomplished most of disassembly tonight. Removed JDM bumper - six hard to reach 19mm screws. Removed lights and grill. Spooled out steel line - worse than I thought with five+ severe kinks and flat spots. Disconnected from the spool. Then unscrewed electrical connections to winch and removed it from the carrier. So the truck is looking a bit "toothless" now... (took pictures along the way).

upload_2017-5-22_21-12-51.png

Epilogue...

Finished the sanding, priming & painting. Called Warn (Heidi) to ask for rebuild advice and what other elements to address once it was out on the workbench. Disappointing call - she just told me twice that since I bought it on a used truck it wasn't covered under warranty (I was not pursuing warranty service). Went back to Forger's post and put some penetrating oil on the clutch handle and it worked... The winch tie rods were abraded from the original steel line, so I filed off the biggest burrs and spun them (so the new synthetic would face a smooth surface). Reinstalled winch. Put on new fairlead and spooled in new MasterPull XD synthetic.

upload_2017-5-29_15-11-32.png

With Memorial Day coming, my son and I wrestled upside down in tight spaces to re-install the bumper. (Cue lost of cursing...) I struggled to get good alignment - and finally, next morning turned to the hi-lift jack to get bolt holes to align. At the last minute as we headed out for holiday weekend plans re-assembly was complete.

upload_2017-5-29_15-16-53.png

And as luck would have it, we went looking for a hike out beyond Salmon La Sac - beautiful day...
upload_2017-5-29_15-18-52.png

And found some mud and later snow... Of course I had my maxtrax and full recovery kit at home (never again) so I managed to get bogged in the snow and had the chance to put the synthetic line to work.... Worked great (and recovery would have been 3x as fast and a lot less digging if I'd had the proper gear!)

upload_2017-5-29_15-22-55.png

Thanks for the support and comments on this project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom