Warn VR12000 Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
I am beginning to have problems with my Warn VR12000 winch on my 100 series. I've used it maybe 5 times since I mounted it in November 2014. The clutch refuses to disengage now. The motor seems like it works just fine being powered in and out. Still operates with the remote but I noticed the last time I needed the winch I couldn't disengage the clutch to let it free-spool. I had to plug the remote in and have a buddy hold down the "out" switch while I walked out with the cable in my hand. I can turn it a little bit - maybe half way - but not enough to let it free-spool and I am afraid if I force it I will not be able to get it to engage again. I can feel resistance in the lever. And the resistance seems like its progress, meaning I can feel that it gets harder to turn the lever the more I do turn it. Anyone have any thoughts as to what could be causing this? I've never opened a winch before so if that will be needed any tips or points (pictures preferably) would be much appreciated.

It's probably all gunked up or dried up around the clutch lever shaft itself. I had this happen on my M8000. There is a little screw that you can remove to pull the clutch handle out; remove that and wiggle/pull the clutch handle out. There is a rubber o-ring on that shaft. Grease liberally, re-install and see if that fixes it.

Fixed it. Called Warn customer service and the guy told me just to spray some penetrating lube on the clutch lever and work it back and forth over a couple days. "99% of the time that is the solution". Well I tried that but didn't have the patience to wait several days so I went ahead and took it apart. I was amazed at the amount of water, mud, grass, etc... that found its way inside despite only using it ~6 times in its life and not doing a whole lot of offroading with it. Oh well. Cleaned everything the best I could, regreased every surface, painted the outside cover with a hydrophobic paint, and sealed everything with rtv. I'm hoping it will stay semi-water resistant for a while considering the water resistant grease and rtv that I used. It free-spools so easily now I love it!

Before:
IMG_7771.jpg

IMG_7770.jpg

IMG_7775.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

IMG_7778.jpg

After:

IMG_7779.jpg

IMG_7780.jpg

IMG_7786.jpg

IMG_7788.jpg

IMG_7790.jpg

I was very happy that I saved all of the literature that came with the winch, the parts diagram was extremely useful in the reassembly process. Just for clarification this does not make me think any less of this winch or its capabilities. I bought it knowing that it wasn't sealed and this type of thing is pretty much inevitable in a winch like this. I loved it when I first bought it and honestly I love it even more now because it spools smoother than when I took it out of the box. Next up is to seal the solenoid box and install some type of breather to prevent moisture ingress. I'm 19yrs old by the way, if I can do this then anyone can!

Last edited:
Nice cleanup and thanks for the pictures (with dirty grease allover it is easy to skip)
My old 12000 KM1 also has some spots from water, but I don think it is a problem for operation.
I had never seen planetary gears so I was amazed at the idea/concept.

file.php

@hj 60 I still have a few rust spots from the water as well. I worked on them as best as I could liberally applying Bondo Rust Remover, letting them sit for 20-30 min, washing them off with fresh water, and towel-drying them.
60455055743_spsi.png

I then placed all of the components in front of a fan and dehumidifier to remove any water that I couldn't get to. The next day after they were completely dry the rust spots turned whitish due to the chemical reaction leftover from the rust remover. 220 grit sandpaper, 0000 steel wool, some elbow grease, and a final blasting of compressed air got a few more off the surface imperfections off. There is almost no way to return these pieces to original condition but following my steps are about as close as you are going to be able to get. No they are still not perfect nor will they ever be again, but they are good enough to function properly after being heavily greased. Once completely reassembled I couldn't feel any sticking or indication that rust is on any of the internal parts so I believe I did a fairly good job.

Oh and yes, the planetary gears were quite fun to mess with and get to understand. It was my first time seeing them as well and being a mechanical engineering student they intrigued me a bit. The incredible amount of gear reduction in the 3-stage gear system was also interesting. I believe this winch has a 216:1 ratio and its kinda cool knowing how so much power and torque can be packed in such a small machine.

@Hack Yes I was very happy too. I was also relieved to know it did not involve any of the electrical components....yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom