Builds Project Pikachu: 1977 FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now I'm going to dig into the electrical system. I have one brake light and the hazards will blink on the front lenses. NOTHING else works. I'm also direct-wiring the idle solenoid to the battery to drive it.

There's a total jumble of trailer wiring spliced into the rear tail lamps, completely covered in mud with loose ends everywhere. So, this is where I'm starting. I'm going to cut all of this crap and out replace the tail light housings.

IMG_1190.JPG
IMG_1191.JPG
IMG_1192.JPG

I ordered a new soft top through @Trollhole today. Pikachu needs a white top, and these aren't easy to find. I could've found any other color on the used market, but I really think that the mustard yellow and white pinstripes will pop with the white top. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm convinced nonetheless.

Now I'm going to dig into the electrical system. I have one brake light and the hazards will blink on the front lenses. NOTHING else works. I'm also direct-wiring the idle solenoid to the battery to drive it.

There's a total jumble of trailer wiring spliced into the rear tail lamps, completely covered in mud with loose ends everywhere. So, this is where I'm starting. I'm going to cut all of this crap and out replace the tail light housings.

View attachment 1423750 View attachment 1423751 View attachment 1423755

Looks like mine when I pulled them. Replaced OEM on right and Cruiser Outfitters on the left.

I ordered a new soft top through @Trollhole today. Pikachu needs a white top, and these aren't easy to find. I could've found any other color on the used market, but I really think that the mustard yellow and white pinstripes will pop with the white top. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm convinced nonetheless.

Hell yes it does.

I replaced one of the crusty headlights with one out of my stash. Also decided to leave the OEM bumper on, and finished up the frame rails and factory tow hook. Scrubbed 40 years of grime off the bottom of the besel as well, dolling her up nicely. I'm getting closer to not being written up by the HOA when I taxi out into the driveway.

IMG_6154.JPG

I have spent a little bit of time on the rear of the 40 this week too. New tail lenses are en route, old hitch wiring cut out, the horrible 3/8" steel angle-iron hitch assembly is gone after a ton of grinding, and I scored a couple of OEM tailgate latches on eBay. Now I'm measuring and prepping to drill holes for the hinges.

Electrical troubleshooting and searching for a windshield in between.

IMG_1199.PNG
IMG_1200.PNG
IMG_1201.JPG

I took a piece of the hard top to English Color & Supply in Dallas to have them match Toyota 532 and tint it as needed to catch the exact color as it has faded over time. I'll be spraying the rear of the 40, the tailgate, and both side doors. So, I have started to clean up the surface rust on the hard doors and bring them to bare metal. The old steel from the door set I picked up is actually in quite nice condition. It wasn't sure what I'd find underneath the non-OEM black paint.

IMG_1215.JPG

Spent a little time on electrical stuff today, as the weather has been rainy and no good for paint prep. Still no power to head lights or running lights after removing and cleaning all of the grounds that I have read about. However, both head lights work when I direct-wire the battery to the circuit at the head light base. I am beginning to lean towards a bad head light switch. When I turn the rheostat, it feels like it is full of grit.

Also pulled the original mustard hinges off of the old Kayline half doors in preparation for mounting on the hard doors.

Those switches are pretty easy to rebuild. There is a thread here somewhere that details it, but basically you bend the tabs back and it comes apart. You have to do it carefully though as there are springs and a few bb's to make contact. Clean it all up, lightly sand the contact points, use some dielectric grease and put it all back together. Cleaning out almost 40 years of grit made all the difference for mine.

Those switches are pretty easy to rebuild. There is a thread here somewhere that details it, but basically you bend the tabs back and it comes apart. You have to do it carefully though as there are springs and a few bb's to make contact. Clean it all up, lightly sand the contact points, use some dielectric grease and put it all back together. Cleaning out almost 40 years of grit made all the difference for mine.
Good to hear. Thanks.

Still fiddling with electrical. I installed a used headlight switch (thanks, @Drewk). Now have running lights, which is a big step in the right direction. Still no headlights, turn signals, or cluster lights/gauges though.

Shakedown run.

Drove Pikachu about 5 miles. Went better than I could've hoped. She's coming together for sure.

View attachment 1409517

Love the stuffed look with the 33's and stock suspension / steelies. How badly does it rub when driving it as is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom