Project: "Not going to do a frame off" Frame Off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, I have a decision to make. That extra 78 axle I have vs. buying a mini truck axle for the knuckles and birfield? After doing some more research, I think it may be a better option for me to try and find a mini truck front axle to get the bigger V6 calipers and slotted rotors plus the better birfield vs. putting the 78 FJ40 axle knuckles and calipers / rotors on. Even with the 78 I still will have to buy new calipers and rotors as the ones I pulled off are shot. So the work of breaking that extra axle down may have been for not, but at least I got the 3rd member out of it. I'm going to call some pick and pulls this morning and see if I can find a mini truck axle.

excellent thread. I wish I had your skill. That cruiser is going to look perfect.

I have a dead 81 sitting in the garage right now I want to do this to but keep getting hung up and not doing it.

Thanks. My "skill" has totatlly been learned here from MUD, mostly in the last 2 months. Just dive in, that's what I did, and read a bunch of threads here.

Looks like you will be a pro at TC rebuilds! Want to do mine next? ;)

Awesome work so far. Keep it up!

We'll see how it turns out, has taken up a lot more time than I was thinking it would. I still think I'm going to be short some parts by the time I get it all back together.

looks nice man movin along quick!

Thanks man. Wish I was closer to Ft. Worth so I could have "build party" :beer:

Good god, you do some nice work, and fast! As others have said, wish I had your skill (patience & time would help too).

Please keep it up! Quite inspiring to those of us who get damn frustrated with ours. Especially for me who has even been thinking of getting rid of the cruiser and DD and just get a rubicon......... I know, I know.

Last edited:
Good god, you do some nice work, and fast! As others have said, wish I had your skill (patience & time would help too).

Please keep it up! Quite inspiring to those of us who get damn frustrated with ours. Especially for me who has even been thinking of getting rid of the cruiser and DD and just get a rubicon......... I know, I know.

Blasphemy! Don't do it, you'll regret it.

My schedule works out pretty good to allow me some time to work on it here and there ... at least for now.

Ok, I have a decision to make. That extra 78 axle I have vs. buying a mini truck axle for the knuckles and birfield? After doing some more research, I think it may be a better option for me to try and find a mini truck front axle to get the bigger V6 calipers and slotted rotors plus the better birfield vs. putting the 78 FJ40 axle knuckles and calipers / rotors on. Even with the 78 I still will have to buy new calipers and rotors as the ones I pulled off are shot. So the work of breaking that extra axle down may have been for not, but at least I got the 3rd member out of it. I'm going to call some pick and pulls this morning and see if I can find a mini truck axle.

I think the 77-78 birfields and hubs are longer than on other years, maybe late 76 models too, they came with warn hubs as opposed to aisin hubs/hub dials

might want to think about that if you are going to wheel it, as well as obtaining spares (when borrowing or buying)

if you decide to go the mini truck route let me know, I might buy the parts off your 78 axel:cheers:

nice work!

excellent thread. I wish I had your skill. That cruiser is going to look perfect.

I have a dead 81 sitting in the garage right now I want to do this to but keep getting hung up and not doing it.
If you ever get tired of tripping over it just drop it off at my house I won't charge you a cent.:D

A little update:

I've pulled the transmission (700R4) and dropped it off at my local tranny shop to have the output shaft removed and the new AA output shaft installed so I can begin putting my AA 700R4 to stock TC adapter on. I'm going to pick it up today as it took him about an hour to do, totally worth it to me (~$150) as I would have taken for ever to break it apart and put it together again, not to mention if my tranny would have worked right.

I dropped my rear 3rd off with CruisinFJ60 (Trent) who has a buddy that is going to setup my preload, backlash, gear pattern, and run out for me so I can get it back and install it. Nice BJ42 by the way Trent!

My new EZwiring harness came in (looks good) and I have started ordering new sensors here and there for my TBI conversion. I also ordered a tranny cooler, Holley Intake manifold TBI adapter, and dodge spring perches from Jegs which came in the other day. I've decided I'm going to do a SOA so I'm trying to put together a parts list of everything I need for it. I'm trying to decide if I can use my stock springs or if I need to order new springs for the SOA. I'd sure like to use stock to save a little $$$ but not if it is going to make for a crappy ride. I may look at adding a leaf to them and see what that does. I've been researching SOA's here now for a week or so and have information overload on it.

Once I get my 3rd back, I can get my inner axles back in and finish my rear disc conversion.
IMG_4181800x600.jpg

IMG_4176800x600.jpg

IMG_4182800x600.jpg

I went by a local welding shop and got some free scrap square tubing to start fabbing up my TC xmember w/ my MAD poly bushings.

Oh ya, my TC is back together, preload set, and ready for install.

I think that is it for now. Going to try and get my tranny in tonight, but we'll see.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Got my tranny back with the new shaft in, it's quite a bit longer than the stock shaft that was in it.
IMG_4185800x600.jpg

So then I lifted the tranny in using my engine hoist and floor jack and got it bolted back on to the back of the motor. I then installed my AA adapter and then cut out my factory rear xmember. With that gone, I could reinstall my TC. It is the first time I've had my TC in my 40 since I've owned it! :clap: Making forward progress is good!
IMG_4190800x600.jpg

I have a question about my high shifter linkage on top of my TC. The way it sits now, it faces the inside of my frame. Is this right? My FSM doesn't have any pictures of it installed and it seems like it should face in towards the middle of my TC to help line up my linkage, but maybe not.

Another shot of my AA adapter installed.
IMG_4187800x600.jpg

One of my tranny holes that was tapped for the TC was buggered up and doesn't allow my AA adapter to tighten up all the way. So I need to get a longer bolt and then put a washer on it to help draw it in tighter. Shouldn't be a big deal (famous last words!) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The shift linkage on top of your t-case is installed correctly. I just removed my t-case and the linkage is the same.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve.

I've been meaning to email you to see how your build is going. Going to start hooking up my lokar shifter and AA twin stick shift and get all that sorted out. Then ... its time for electrical nightmares to begin!

The shift linkage on top of your t-case is installed correctly. I just removed my t-case and the linkage is the same.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve.

I've been meaning to email you to see how your build is going. Going to start hooking up my lokar shifter and AA twin stick shift and get all that sorted out. Then ... its time for electrical nightmares to begin!

Nick,

My build is nowhere as far along as yours. I am working on replacing my rusted out rear sill and some sheet metal in the quarters. After that will be some new sheet metal patches in the wheel wells then paint and undercoat the tub... I want to finish the tub, then move on to the frame.

I can't wait to see how your shifter and twin stick install go. What do you think of the Lokar shifter? I have seen lots of both positive and negative comments on them.

Steve

So I had some more time yesterday and a little today to work on the 40. I got my rear 3rd back and put it in but had some clearance problems with my pinion shaft spacer. So, as Cruiserdrew suggested, I took out my axles and ground them down a little, which gave me just enough room to slide the spacer in. I used a little gun blue to mark the top of the axles so I could see how much i was removing and to make it as level as possible. Worked pretty good.
IMG_4206800x600.jpg

After those were in I buttoned up the cover. More progress is a good thing.
IMG_4202800x600.jpg

FYI: For anyone looking to POR15 your frame, don't get it on your bolts. I wasn't thinking and POR15'd my axle when I was doing my frame which in turn got all over the nuts and bolts for the diff covers, which basically turned it into a super form of locktite. Pain in the ASS getting the bolts off. Pretty much all but 1 of the bolts came out of the axle housing which then they had to be cleaned up and reinstalled, which sucks too. Now I just need a little spray paint and I'll call it good.

With that done I could finish putting on my rear disc brakes. I originally had the brackets facing the front but decided I liked them better facing the rear. I am having one problem though and its driving me crazy. The clips that go on the calipers (Monte Carlo), I can't figure out how they clip on! :bang: :bang: I looked online and tried to find some pictures of how they clip on, but no luck. I know it will be obvious once someone posts it up, but I can't figure it out.
IMG_4209800x600.jpg

I went ahead and put the calipers on and put the wheels back on to see how my backspacing worked out, perfect. I do have a problem w/ the pads contacting and resting on the rotors, but I'm assuming that once I figure out the damn clips, that will take care of that problem.
IMG_4212800x600.jpg

I then moved on to my lokar shifter. This was my first time to ever install something like this and I'll say the instructions were somewhat lacking. The product seems high quality, but the instructions don't compare. I had to do a little modification to the rear bracket to mount to my transmission w/ the AA adapter. I ended up running some longer bolts through my transmission bolt holes because the driver side had been stripped out by the PO. It actually worked out pretty good. I did however crack the passenger side bolt casing when I was tighting down the bolt, but I don't think it will affect anything.
IMG_4201800x600.jpg

After messing with the shifter, and getting it positioned, it went together pretty quick. I do however wish I would have got a shorter shifter. I got a steal on this one, but it is a little tall IMHO. Its the 32", a 23" probably would have been better, oh well.
IMG_4200800x600.jpg

IMG_4199800x600.jpg

I then started mocking up my AA twin stick shifter. It took a while to figure out how I wanted my sticks to come out of the tranny tunnel, but I think it will work out pretty well. I still don't have them installed yet. They are bent and welded up, but the paint is drying on them. Hope to have them installed after I get home Friday morning. Here's the only shot I have of them as they're drying.
IMG_4203800x600.jpg

Nick

Nick, I have enjoyed reading your thread, its help me stay motivated on mine. Great work. looking forward to more.

Joe

Haven't made a whole lot of progress lately. Wife and kiddo have been sick so not as much time in the garage. I did sneak a little time the other day and installed my sticks for my twin stick and got them hooked up. I reinstalled my tranny tunnel and realized I had to rebend my sticks b/c it was hitting my tunnel. So I took everything off again and rebent it ... now I did this probably another 4 or 5 times before everything was spot on.

I did get my Hell Creek 4" suspension lift in and ordered some SOR 2.5" shackles that I'll put on. This will be the next step. Hope to start tearing into the suspension maybe Thursday night or Friday, but we'll see.

Its been a little while so I think its time for an update. I don't have my good camera at the house right now so I had to use my Iphone to take pictures, so they're not the best.

I installed my 4" Hell Creek suspension lift and replaced the old worn out bushings w/ new poly bushings. While I was at it I ordered 8 new MAF poly bushings to replace the ones in my spring hangers, which were shot. The lift went on surprisingly easy and after all the horror stories I heard about the the spring pins having to be heated up, chopped out, beat to death .... all of mine popped right out with just a tap. I did opt out of getting the shocks that came w/ the kit and will buy some Bilstien 5125's when I can determine my flex. Probably will need to buy some extended bumpstops too. I also installed some 2.5" extended shackles from SOR w/ greasable pins.

IMG_0621800x600.jpg

I then started working on fabbing up my new crossmember. I have seen lots of different options here and decided to buy some bushings from MAD offroad and do it myself. I used some heavy square tubing pieces I got free from a local welding shop and started getting after it.
IMG_0617800x600.jpg

IMG_0618800x600.jpg

After a lot of measuring, remeasuring, and then measuring again and a little bit of welding, grinding, drilling, and sliding back and forth from under the 40 I had it done.
IMG_0619800x600.jpg

Here's a shot of it mostly attached to the AA adapter. I still have to drill the other side of the frame and bolt it on. I debated on whether or not to weld it vs. bolting it and decided to bolt it on just so I can totally remove everything if I need to. The cross member was built to be removed, but if I wanted to remove the the plates that hold the bushings, I thought this would be the best option.
IMG_0632800x600.jpg

just wanted to give two comments about your calipers.. i have the same ones.. the pads rub on the rotors right now but I have a feeling once I get the brakes all hooked up the caliper will center itself on the rotor and the pads will no longer drag (they are called a floating caliper and are supposed to do this)

also you should switch your calipers (from left to right) so the bleeder valve is on the top and maybe give them a coat of paint while youre at it... mine rusted reallll quick

looking good!

The last few days I've had a little time to work on the 40 so I started fabbing up a new firewall mount for my Flaming River steering column I bought. Rather than spend $160 or more on a BTB or Flaming River mount, I thought I'd make my own. I know Cruiser Enthusier was asking about other options and this kinda got me started on making my own. I also made a new mount to hold the column under the dash. It was actually pretty easy (now that its done, its easy to say). I still need to buy a few bushings to put in the firewall tube and dash drop mount to better hold the column, but it is solid. Total cost for both mounts, about $1.50 worth of steel and .25 cents worth of welding wire. A lot cheaper than $160 for a firewall mount and $85 for a drop mount. It may not have the "bling" factor, but I didn't want the bling factor either.
IMG_0626800x600.jpg

I also put on my Grant steering wheel. I really liked this wheel and it was pretty reasonable from Summit. Initially I bought the Flaming River adapter for the wheel but it didn't fit and it was $96 so then I bought the Grant adapter it fit like a charm and it was only $14, so I sent the other one back.
IMG_0623800x600.jpg

I do miss the look of the stock steering wheel so I thought a good compromise would be to take the Toyota emblem that was in the middle of my original wheel and put it in the middle of my new Grant wheel. Here is what it will look like. Its just mocked up and I will attach it perminately once I figure out the best way to do it. I think it looks pretty killer and gives it a little bit of custom style while still have some of the original FJ40 personality.
IMG_0624800x600.jpg

IMG_0625800x600.jpg

That's pretty much it for now. I did order a new set of autometer guages from summit. I also ordered a new set of Corbeau Baja RS front seats and sliders. Hope to get those in in next few days so I can get a final position for my steering wheel and get the seat frames mocked up. I also need to decided what I'm going to do as far as paint before I get any further.

Nick

Man, you are moving fast on yours. You're gonna give me an inferiority complex ;). You and I were definetely thinking the same way on the column mounts, tho I can see you're a much better welder/fabricator than I am. Here's to doing it yourself and sticking it to the man, eh?

Keep the pics coming!

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom