Project: "Not going to do a frame off" Frame Off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Laid some paint down

I finally got some paint down (the right color this time)!!! I love the color too. I went to English Color this morning with the paint PPG paint code from Shes Mad and they looked it up. Apparently they have it in their system as "Green" and not "Rustic Green". They made it right and gave me a new gallon of paint (for free) and I came home and let it warm up a bit. Sprayed the rear half doors, bib, apron, front fenders, and windshield frame. It came out pretty good, for my first time as a painter. I do have a few spots I am going to have to touch up but overall I am please. Here are a few pics.

IMG_4852Medium.jpg

IMG_4853Medium.jpg

IMG_4854Medium.jpg

IMG_4855Medium.jpg

I do have a smal run in the paint on the bib but I don't think it will be that hard to fix. I will let the paint harden for a while then will start wet sanding it. Going to start on the hood tomorrow.

Shes Mad - Thanks for the paint code, it really helped me out.

Nick

Glad I could help!

Looks good!

Trent -

Is yours more of a John Deere Green vs. a Rustic Green? The pics below are from CCOT website but give a good sample of the color difference. I really like the Rustic Green.

John Deere
coolfj40_2085_94854620

Rustic Green
coolfj40_2085_94716514

Nick,
Mine is more the John Deer Green color, wouldnt have been my first choice but it has grown on me. most all of the exterior was repainted but none of the interior was and it all seems to match right up.

first one is one of the cleaner ones i have of the outside, the second is the best one of the interior at night with flash that ive got.
12-14-09 1.jpg
12-14-09 7.jpg

So in an effort to save a little cash I decided to use the wheels that came with my 40 when I bought it. I really wanted to go back to stock steelies and hub caps but in order to run a 35x12.5x15 tire I was going to have to get the stock steelies widened and that was about $125 per tire. So I'd have $80 in the rim, $125 in widening service, and $20 in a hub cap. So $225 per tire or $900 total. I'll save that $900 for now and get my TBI hooked up first. So I took the chrome aftermarket wheels it came with cleaned them up an painted them a semi gloss black with a matte clear coat. They came out pretty good and will work for the time being.

Before:
IMG_4880Medium.jpg

After:
IMG_4877Medium.jpg

After I did that I knew I wanted some new tires so I couldn't have those old meats sitting on those good looking rims so today I went down to my local discount tire and bought a new set of 4 BFG KM2 M/T 35x12.5x15 and stuck them on my freshly painted rims. I will have to say they look badass!!! I got a pretty good deal on them too, it seemed, $912 out the door. I need to buy some new lug nuts and probably some new lugs studs.

IMG_4895Medium.jpg

IMG_4892Medium.jpg

IMG_4893Medium.jpg

IMG_4894Medium.jpg

Now I just need to finish the rest of the rig.

:cheers:
Nick

Last edited:
Here is a few more shots of some of my body panels and pieces that have been painted. Most of it has come out pretty good. I've had to sand down some a few spots and start over due to a crappy HVLP gun pukeing all over my freshly painted 99.99% completed hood. That really pissed me off, oh well.

IPOR Fender Flares:
IMG_4881Medium.jpg

Pile o' Painted Parts:
IMG_4882Medium.jpg

Hood:
IMG_4888Medium.jpg

I really like the Green. It has always been my favorite LC color and has turned out perfect for me. Everytime I see the color I like it even more.

Nick

Wow, its come along way since you started. Looking very cool. When you get it done you should try and make it over to a meeting in Dallas so we can check it out.

Wow, its come along way since you started. Looking very cool. When you get it done you should try and make it over to a meeting in Dallas so we can check it out.

Thanks a bunch. Once I get it to driving conditions I will for sure make it up there to a meeting.

Nick

that color is perfect, i love it. the tires are badass too.

Dooooood, Don't think I'll be ready for Moab, but hopefully next year. I should be getting my axle from Vegas the end of this week which will be perfect timing.

Have you tried mounting your front fenders with the Beir mounts installed? I was mocking mine up and I need to modify (cut) the inner skirt at the bottom.

Have you tried mounting your front fenders with the Beir mounts installed? I was mocking mine up and I need to modify (cut) the inner skirt at the bottom.

No I haven't got that far yet. I will hopefully start putting pieces back together this late this week or this weekend. I hope I don't have to cut anything, but I guess we'll see.

Nick

Looks great. i am transplanting engine, wiring harness and many other parts of an 83 FJ60 into my 71 FJ40. The 40 needs much of the same (and more) treatment that your applying to yours. But at -30F the wife aint agreeing to park outside :( . I fill the garage with tools, parts and crap, then everynight I gotta clean-up and back her FJCruiser into it's spot. If I aint done by summer, I shoudl be allowed a little more space.

Looks great. i am transplanting engine, wiring harness and many other parts of an 83 FJ60 into my 71 FJ40. The 40 needs much of the same (and more) treatment that your applying to yours. But at -30F the wife aint agreeing to park outside :( . I fill the garage with tools, parts and crap, then everynight I gotta clean-up and back her FJCruiser into it's spot. If I aint done by summer, I shoudl be allowed a little more space.

I get tired of the mid 30's and 40's here in Texas, I can't imagine -30F in AK. Good luck with your project!

Nick

Milestone!

I hit a milestone today, I finished my major painting and bodywork. For the record, I HATE paint and bodywork. I'm glad it is over and it turned out pretty good, I'm happy with it. Here are a few pics of how it turned out. I got the fenders back on today and plan on starting the install of my new EZwiring harness within the next few days. I did start installing my new Ford shock towers today. Only got the drivers side done today.

IMG_4906Medium.jpg

IMG_4907Medium.jpg

IMG_4908Medium.jpg

IMG_4909Medium.jpg

IMG_4911Medium.jpg

Nick

lookin good nick.

I've made a little more progress. I put the front bib, apron, and hood on to start fitting my new radiator I bought. Plus I really want to put them on so I could see what it looked like with the final paint all done. It makes it harder to do my wiring and motor / tbi work, but it makes me feel like I am making progress!! I am using the original radiator bracket but had to widen it to fit my 19x26 aluminum radiator. I ordered a tranny cooler and attached that to the front of my radiator. I also bought some new turn signals; I decided to go with the newer style vs. the older so I can have turn/park/running lights.

IMG_4957Custom.jpg

IMG_4952Custom.jpg

IMG_4964Custom.jpg

I also bought some front Corbeau seat belts to go w/ my seats. These are the 3 point retractable belts.
IMG_4963Custom.jpg

I've started working on my TBI harness and pulled it out of the factory loom. It's pretty intimidating right now and have been reading Cruiser Enthusiers TBI post which has been helping out. This harness was from a 1988 Chevy Suburban 5.7L. I bought that and the ECM (7747) off ebay for about $150 or so.
IMG_4965Custom.jpg

I worked last night and labeled most everything at the ECM end. Now I need to label everything on the other end and start trying to figure out what I need to keep and what I can delete.
IMG_4966Custom.jpg

I went by a junk yard and grabbed a bracket to hold my MAP and ESC. I did pick up a ESC while I was there, not bad for about 5 bucks vs. $80 new. We'll see if it works, I'm sure it will as it seems to be in good shape.
IMG_4969Custom.jpg

I'm also working on installing my new fuel sending unit for my new autometer guages (0-90ohm). Of course the holes don't line up and when I tried to drill and tap it my tap broke of in the hole!! :mad:
IMG_4967Custom.jpg

Very nice work. It has been fun reading your thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom