Builds Project Lockjaw-1973 Fj40 on Tons (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My vote is double also. Especially for a dedicated trail rig.

On wheelbase, again, for a dedicated trail rig. I'd stretch so the tires are the first thing to hit and the last thing to leave. With the tons, you have width. Now get your length. Overall frame should be around 144" so if you running a 37 or 39, then 105"-108" will get you close.

I'm at 107" on 39's and it was perfect for out west and steep climbs, but gets hung up a little more in East coast rock gardens. Also doesn't turn as tight as it did at 99" but wouldn't go back.

Add stitchwelding and/or boxing the frame to your to-do list while it's all apart.

Subscribed.

I'm at 107" on 39's and it was perfect for out west and steep climbs, but gets hung up a little more in East coast rock gardens. Also doesn't turn as tight as it did at 99" but wouldn't go back.

Add stitchwelding and/or boxing the frame to your to-do list while it's all apart.

Subscribed.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about 100-102"

Stripping to Dana 60 of its brackets and tabs. Man what a PITA

Forgot to add pictures
20200421_182238.jpg
20200421_193214.jpg
j

Well decided to go with a 4L60E due to it being a shorter transmission than the 4L80. It also has a lower first gear. Just needs a little cleaning.
20200425_195934.jpg

This is the look I'm going for. Stretched to 102". Just need to find out what these guys are using for rear side windows. Anybody know?
20200429_182435.jpg

The glass place in the big city will cut laminate or tempered, in 1/4" from a pattern for those windows. I had them do a loader cab full of windows in laminate from patterns. They did a beautiful job and they go through our local Ace Hardware.

Thats a nice looking rig!

The glass place in the big city will cut laminate or tempered, in 1/4" from a pattern for those windows. I had them do a loader cab full of windows in laminate from patterns. They did a beautiful job and they go through our local Ace Hardware.

Thats a nice looking rig!

That image was pulled off of Instagram, mciver_custom_fabrication

Well decided to go with a 4L60E due to it being a shorter transmission than the 4L80. It also has a lower first gear. Just needs a little cleaning. View attachment 2286118
Rebuild that while you have it out. I can send you the tech manual and the videos I used. Upgrade the sunshell, and go with the high friction clutches.

Rebuild that while you have it out. I can send you the tech manual and the videos I used. Upgrade the sunshell, and go with the high friction clutches.
That would be awesome, thanks sir

I'd also install the teckpak TCC valve upgrade while you have the valve body out. I had nothing but issues in overdrive with my 4l60e. Turned out to e the TCC valvve was scored and fluid was leaking by. This cheap little upgrade is worth every penny.

Got my Barnes4wd rear axle truss today.
20200502_180444.jpg

Which is the best sunshell to go with in your opinion ???? Never have rebuilt an automatic transmission before. Got a friend that is a master ASE tech that is going to help

I think I used the "Beast" sunshell. Most of the aftermarket sunshells will be the upgraded/hardened shell that won't break or strip out the splines (well, at least not as easily as the stock sunshell). Don't fret too much about the rebuild. Mr Jits talked me into rebuilding mine as well, and I'm glad he did. It really isn't that hard. With the manual and youtube, you shouldn't have any problems. Since I did my first one, I've rebuilt a second 4l60E and a Ford E4OD. Stay organized, pay attention to detail, and you won't have any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom