Builds Project 'Fresh Start' RestoMod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is your soft top bow kit from Real Steel? And how did you attach it to the Aqualu tub behind the door? Any pics would be awesome. Thanks

Is your soft top bow kit from Real Steel? And how did you attach it to the Aqualu tub behind the door? Any pics would be awesome. Thanks

Ahhhh ... yes it is the Real steel
Ok, I did promise a while back that I would explain how we did this because it was a PITA ...
So what we noticed immediately was the vertical panels do not line up with the Aqualu tub door frames. The Real Steel panels have to come out about an inch to properly line up ...

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 6.54.43 PM by Steve Heck, on Flickr

So, that means that the vertical interior bracing bar will NOT go through the panel and sit in the Aqualu pocket. We therefore cut off the bottoms of the vertical support braces and welded our own supports at the bottom of the panels that sit perfectly in the pockets with the door jambs perfectly aligned

IMG_0053 by Steve Heck, on Flickr

IMG_0054 by Steve Heck, on Flickr

So, what do this tell us ... that with enough patience and some skill you can make an Aqualu tub, joined to a 73' cab work with a Real Steel soft top and 1980 doors ... Not easy but It CAN be done

And yes, we made the door latch plates from scratch because now the position of the door latch mounting bolts completely changes

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Great job, that's so nice I'd be afraid to drive it.

Thank you ! While it will not see rain, or off any off-road, I will drive it until someone takes it off my hands after the 2019 Toronto Motorama Car Show its going into
Cheers
Steve

The tube from the bow goes all the way through the bottom. Did you cut it off? And, how short?

@Sheck44 , I'm planning on , essentially doing the same type of build you have done and, as I've been following along, was wondering about your power steering conversion. Would you mind expanding on what you did?

1. Did you use a an FJ80 power steering box? If so, why and was there any issues with using it? I noticed the steering box looked pretty hug and had some insulated lines that, presumably , came with the unit when you pulled it off an FJ80. Is that right? The fj60 steering box requires one to modify the radiator support shroud to clear the box. Since the FJ80 box is even larger in diameter did that affect your radiator support or placement?
2. Did you have to make a piece of plate steel on the inside of the frame with crush sleeves the way the Ironpig 4x4 kit does? If not, how did you secure the power steering box to the frame?
3. It looks like you used an aftermarket steering column with tilt. What did you use? Also wondering if you used some extended steering shaft components similar to borgenson to reach the steering box from the firewall?
4. I noticed you cut into the shock tower as required for this type of conversion. Did you then leave the mount as-is or did you reinforce or replace with another shockmount such as the F-250 shock tower .

Lots of questions so thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Derek

@Sheck44 How did you end up liking the Icon mirrors? How are the vibrations? Construction? I know they are pricey, but they look well built, I am wondering if they function as well as there price.. I will be needing mirrors soon...

@Sheck44 How did you end up liking the Icon mirrors? How are the vibrations? Construction? I know they are pricey, but they look well built, I am wondering if they function as well as there price.. I will be needing mirrors soon...

Pricey yes but SOLID and extremely well made and functional ... so yes I am very happy with them

@Sheck44 , I'm planning on , essentially doing the same type of build you have done and, as I've been following along, was wondering about your power steering conversion. Would you mind expanding on what you did?

1. Did you use a an FJ80 power steering box? If so, why and was there any issues with using it? I noticed the steering box looked pretty hug and had some insulated lines that, presumably , came with the unit when you pulled it off an FJ80. Is that right? The fj60 steering box requires one to modify the radiator support shroud to clear the box. Since the FJ80 box is even larger in diameter did that affect your radiator support or placement?
  2. Did you have to make a piece of plate steel on the inside of the frame with crush sleeves the way the Ironpig 4x4 kit does? If not, how did you secure the power steering box to the frame?
  3. It looks like you used an aftermarket steering column with tilt. What did you use? Also wondering if you used some extended steering shaft components similar to borgenson to reach the steering box from the firewall?
  4. I noticed you cut into the shock tower as required for this type of conversion. Did you then leave the mount as-is or did you reinforce or replace with another shockmount such as the F-250 shock tower .

Lots of questions so thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Derek

Derrick, my apologies I never saw this until now
Yes, ok I used a 60 box in this one and a 80 series box in my new R2.8 build .. both trucks are completely custom rads so I have no idea of interference issues with OE rad setups
I used plates that Tor (Torbuilt) sold me ... google Torbuilt, I believe he's in Washington
He also sold me the expandable steering shaft tat we used with Borgenson joints
Left the mount as-is, Im assuming if your into serious 4x4 offloading you may want to consider strengthening the tower

Hope this helps
Cheers
Steve

How are the mirrors doing? Now that you have some miles on them. Do they vibrate? I know they are reaaaalllly expensive. But I need to spring for mirrors and I want a good set of mirrors. Let me know how they are performing and if you think it was a good upgrade. Thanks.

Fabbing up the new tranny tunnel

IMG_8026 by Steve Heck, on Flickr
Hats off to you Steve for an incredible build one of a kind. I know it’s a resto mod, but I’m not a big fan of the appearance of your transmission hump. Looks too square/boxy/big in my opinion. Anyhow, overall this Cruiser you built is insane! I hope you get some big bucks one day from a buyer, all you want From her. You deserve it!

How are the mirrors doing? Now that you have some miles on them. Do they vibrate? I know they are reaaaalllly expensive. But I need to spring for mirrors and I want a good set of mirrors. Let me know how they are performing and if you think it was a good upgrade. Thanks.

Mirrors are amazing ... absolutely ROCK solid ... for this truck there was no other option
Thank you
Steve

Hats off to you Steve for an incredible build one of a kind. I know it’s a resto mod, but I’m not a big fan of the appearance of your transmission hump. Looks too square/boxy/big in my opinion. Anyhow, overall this Cruiser you built is insane! I hope you get some big bucks one day from a buyer, all you want From her. You deserve it!

Thank you ! Got some miles under her belt this summer and she was amazing with only a couple of minor issues that we will address this winter while we finish the 66'

Did you see the finished product with the carpet ... came out soooo clean ??

Using the same tranny setup but using the original 66 tranny cover ... a LOT of work

Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom