Builds Project 16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That 'Mud sticker reminds me of Ricky Bobby and Fig Newtons..
image.png

That 'Mud sticker reminds me of Ricky Bobby and Fig Newtons..

yes, I can see why. that windshield is now broken (frozen water on it while laying down and maybe a drop onto the hood bumpers), so it'll get replaced anyway.

fortunately, stock they're a bit of a handful on the road - so this is a pretty low bar ;)

:lol: that's true. I'll settle for decent handling. it has no steering shaft or drag link now so anything is an improvement.

I never posted that last additions to the roll cage. this happened a while ago. also had added the square tube on the bed rollbars to keep gear in and make a tie down point. it will get some triangled corners soon.

003-jpg.1367465

002-jpg.1367466

between other hobbies and getting ready for putting the kids and myself in for hunting, we still didn't get started for a bit. but, now we are rolling! we cut out some alum diamond plate (had some lying around) for the dash. and some pics of it as it sits now with Brock in it. seat is just on wood blocks to estimate where he wants them.
IMG_1340 (600x800).jpg
IMG_1346 (800x600).jpg
IMG_1348 (800x600).jpg
IMG_1342 (800x600).jpg
IMG_1343 (800x600).jpg

Last edited:
man, the pics are too big, and I can't get them to thumbnails or to show smaller, then duplicated 2 of them and can't get them back out...maybe I'll reduce them the old way and start over.

*edit*- OK, got them a little smaller for easier viewing

Last edited:
been working on this, but little that's pic worthy. wiring harness work, etc. we did get to the dash area. the aluminum panels last posted will cover the dash area, so we cut out the dash for ease of adding switches and lights.

IMG_1746.JPG

I've run into some of that already with the tail lights. we only are using it because I have it on hand. My goal is to keep cost to around $3000 for the whole project. some time with a dremel should make switches lie flat in. it's practice for the kid with the tools too.

moving forward. wiring is starting to go in. put new battery cables in. they need to be longer to reach the passenger side where there's room for a batt. also one of the old ones was cut off.

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG

the relay box under the hood was damaged in the accident of the donor that the engine came from. I found one in a junk yard and switched all the connectors over to the new one

IMG_1755.JPG

now for what we work on when we can't be outside working on it. designing a spare tire rack. the bed is 4 feet high. a ladder to get in and out would be cool. do we do a swing out or a swing down... lifting a spare that high is tough. we like this style(heep pic), it puts the tire face up when down for ease of removal. however, this bed is higher up than usual because of the flat bed. so the curved tubing part at the bottom will hit the tail lights or not swing down all the way as it hits the bumper. here's a shot of our rear again too.

2004-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-genright-swing-down-carrier.jpg

002.JPG

I thought maybe putting the tubing straight up, or close to it, will put the tire in the bed area, but will swing down all the way. so with that idea or having it only come out with half the tire in the bed., I did my tech drawings for ideas. :grinpimp: ( i can't do all the fancy cad stuff many of you do:rofl:)

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

Last edited:
my son is strongly leaning toward the second one in those images(it's the same duplicated in each). we can put a stop in to keep the tire and the ladder from swinging down all the way if wanted and they swing separately, or at least the ladder can stay up if the tire is down..

Last edited:
starting on the next wave. gauge placement. I have the ignition system wires connected between the two harnesses now and a battery box started. hope to have the engine fired up this month.

IMG_1846.JPG

I like the swing-down...always have but actually seems practical for your application.

I'd have loved to see OEM 40 Series rear tail lights integrated into the rear...but totally understand the ease, cost and performance of the units you are using.

Awesome project...even cooler that it's a father-son!

he's 17. and a senior in high school...he's motivating me more now that school started because he wants to drive it to school. he is helping a lot and has his hands in everything now. learning a ton, which is the point of doing it with him. I even left the welder home with some parts and he welded and grinded what needed to be done. the under bed tool box will be all his doing.

thanks for the encouragement. and I agree on the tail lights too. I did just get stock lights for the bib under the head lights, so at least part of it will be stock.

got the battery tray tacked in. it incorporates the radiator support in it. heat shielding will be added to the top part. ordered parts are starting to roll in heavy now, so things should move a little faster. gauges are here, brake switch and proprtioning valve. tie rod ends and bungs are due anytime.

IMG_1858.JPG

Sweet truck! FYI: When using a grinder without a guard, Try not to have any of your vitals including your jugular in line with an exploding cutting disk. Just a friendly reminder. Cheers! Julian.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom