Builds Project 16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Project 16- FJ60, 40-45, FZJ80

I'm not sure where this should go... I got an FJ60 from a local club member and stripped it to the frame. idea is to take the 60 frame, add a FJ40 body made into a 45. been done before.

attachment.php

took it to work for body removal...
attachment.php

to this-
attachment.php

mocked up the 40 body-
attachment.php

Last edited:
I was planning on a chevy V8-chevy auto tranny-double tcase.
but then this FZJ80 drive train fell into my lap-
attachment.php

so I pulled a '95 FZJ80 drive train-
attachment.php

Last edited:
I called it project 16 because it is for my 2 boys when they hit 16 (12 and 10 now). we will have a FZJ60/45. a little of each Land Cruiser from '69- 95.

Did you have that Project X moment when that 80 turned up?

Danimal's FJ45.5 is a 40/45 tub on a 60 chassi..

Hey Shawn,

I'm betting Jill is real happy with the all of the vehicles you have..
Looks like a fun project.

Charles

Hmmm... This gives me some ideas....

Sent from my DroidCruiser

I have seen Danimal's build and love it! the good thing about this 80 is that the vehicle is not mine (so Jill doesn't mind as much :D). I was given the opportunity to take the drive train, but the rest of the truck belongs to Beno. he's planning a 79 series w/ a diesel on that frame. so I had no option for using the frame and axles from it. the 60 series I got came for free from another club member, the 40 body was $150(for the whole truck) and I made my 40 trailer out of the frame and tub. so far this project has cost me...well....I've actually made money so far after selling parts from the 60.:flipoff2:
I don't count on that being the case for long, but so far so good!

long time no talk shawn!!!!!! sweet project bud, looking forward to the updates.....

georg

long time no talk shawn!!!!!! sweet project bud, looking forward to the updates.....

georg, Hell yea a long time! I see your posts every now and then. the project is slow... if you notice the first pics were in '09. but new life is breathed in with the drive train.
eventually I'll make it back to Rubithon and run with you again!

Did you have that Project X moment when that 80 turned up?

I had not read that thread. now I get what you are saying.:D I haven't gotten out of my local club's area on mud for a while.

I noticed in prelim measurements that the FZJ is longer than the 2F. seeing Gary's placement of the radiator in the bed makes sense. I will be running into that problem soon. not sure how I'm gonna handle it yet.

my initial thread on this project is here-project-16

in a few days I hope to hover the new drive train in the frame for some ideas. but I'm being watched here at work after pulling the engine. so I gotta cool it for a little bit.

a little more done. I pulled the old 2F out finally and put in the 1FZ suspended with some ratchet straps so I could check some clearances. I may go with an electric fan to make a little more room. it's tight from bib to firewall. I'll likely remove the cups behind the headlights so the radiator clears better. that is if I keep the FJ60 radiator. also may have to cut out the floor over the tcase so I can get the body a little lower and still keep a fairly flat belly. any thoughts? oh and what about how well the front tire is centered in the well area? (I'm gonna make my own fenders and inner skins)

pics-
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I never put up an original plan/outline for this build, so here it is-

'85 FJ60 frame and axles with my old FJ40 thirds with 4.88's, autolockers (front will probably be changed to an ARB) and longfields.

spring over the 60 axles.

FJ40 body made into a FJ45 cab and custom flatbed. fuel tank- stock FJ60 under the flatbed.

drive train was going to be chevy V-8>chevy auto tranny>NP203>FJ60 split case. now a '95 1FZ motor and drive train with maybe some crawler gears in the tcase.

goal is to keep costs low. so far so good....

some more testing with the engine and body placement today. I will have to go with an electric fan. no choice. the FZ fan sits too low and is in the way of the 60 radiator lower hose port.
the good news is the 80 and 60 radiator connections line up pretty good, I should be able to use stock hoses with slight tweaks.

so next is to get a fan that the stock 80 alternator can handle, but flows well and get steel for the rear of the cab. in order to cut the floor it needs some structure back there. sorry no pics today, I forgot the camera at home.

will a FJ40 radiator be good enough to keep the 1FZ cool?

I have a Taurus fan ready to go. it fits the 40 radiator support perfectly and the 40 radiator fits between the headlights soo much better. if I use the FJ60 radiator, I have to modify the headlight cups or elilminate them. and the fan shroud will need special made mounts. thoughts? and pics of progress coming tomorrow.

My fj40 radiator had no problem cooling my 2uz with the mechanical fan/clutch and I haven't gotten around to building a shroud yet. You should be fine

so here is the floor cut out. still needs more out of the passenger side.
attachment.php

here is the FJ40 radiator support bracket and the Taurus fan, perfect fit. the frame mounts are easy as tabs with holes-
attachment.php

here is the FJ60 radiator with the fan. needs a fabbed up bracket and frame mounts, then the headlight mods-
attachment.php

here's an interesting wrench to throw in... I found a local 45 cab for an affordable price. it is a post '78(raised floor for under cab fuel tank) RHD from Aussieland. choices-

1. use my own 40 body and make my own cab (forming corners and rail and floor). I have the sheet metal and only need some square tubing. no need to buy this 45 cab.
2. use the RHD cab. stay RHD, get proper steering box and knuckle arms. everything else was going to be custom made anyway, brake lines, fuel lines, etc...no extended cab (I'm 5'9", still likely a tight fit), or extend it. some cool factor here, but some obstacles too.
3.use RHD cab back half only attached to my 40 body with the extended cab. stays LHD, ups the cost a bit, much easier than forming those corners with hand tools.

:hmm:

My fj40 radiator had no problem cooling my 2uz with the mechanical fan/clutch and I haven't gotten around to building a shroud yet. You should be fine

oh, and thanks for this. I will be trying the 40 radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom