Builds Project 16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you ain't kidding! the hardest part is getting the top and bottom squared up with the legs separating them. it is a tad off after finishing, but close enough to get the sheet metal cover on straight enough. we have the frame part done. I just brought home the 16 guage to cover it with and the fenders. guess I forgot those pics too.

yes, I did. we are just tacking it there. I'm careful not to weld it sitting flush on the concrete. good to check that I knew that though. :cheers:
I am a firefighter and have seen cement, block, mortar, etc. spal from heat and once splatter shrapnel at me.:eek:

Then I probably shouldn't tell you of the rotten tricks I'd play on my dad's employees with firecrackers taped to the bottom of what they were welding.... good thing if there is a statute of limitations I'm several decades beyond it. :)

With that said, firefighters have the good stories ;)

:lol: good stories and good practical jokes too. we took the chain off the chainsaw, broke into another sleeping ff's bunkroom, pinned him to the bed and acted like we were cutting his leg off with it while another one threw warm water on him...:D

the thread is still alive! we skinned the fenders and shot some primer on them. things were slow for the winter as work got more of my time. but motivation is back up and we are moving forward...
there's a little gap around the fender to the apron, but I'm not going to worry about it.

dscf1298-jpg.1091974

dscf1300-jpg.1091977

dscf1303-jpg.1091978

ok, back into it. no excuses with this weather!

got the rear plate for tail lights trimmed and mocked in. then got roll cage hoops bent with some help from a buddy.
img_0053-jpg.1216803

img_20160223_120903-jpg.1216805

my son and I tacked in the rear cage. it will get some diagonals in the corners. then on to cutting out the tail light ovals.
img_0058-jpg.1216807

img_0066-jpg.1216808
img_0068-jpg.1216809

also got the rear hoop of the cab cage tacked in and put some final welds on the bed cage
img_0071-jpg.1216811

thanks! your work is top notch, so that means something. :D of course, this all took me 3 days.

I put doors on it in order to get dimensions for the front cage(pic 1). it's starting to look like a cruiser! BUT, that brought to light a problem. the driver door opening is tweaked. it didn't surprise me, because I knew the truck had likely been hit just behind the driver door in the past. the frame from the body (that was made into a trailer) showed evidence of it. I tried to adjust the door from 2 directions, but it still was too narrow at the top of the opening and the door hung low.
pic 2- driver door forced shut. note the angle of the door top to bottom and along the bottom
pic 3- passenger door with plenty of room.
img_0073-jpg.1220094

img_0074-jpg.1220095

img_0075-jpg.1220097

I tried several ways to adjust the door with the hinges, removed them from the body side and bent them to pull the top of the door forward, no change other than the door now hits the hinge:bang:.
soooooo, some creative use of monster power tools opened the top of the opening by force. and it worked! both back and bottom lines are close enough now. I'll see later what I did to screw something else up, I'm sure.:lol:
img_0078-jpg.1220101

img_0079-jpg.1220102

ok, I have been given the time schedule by SWMBO. June (holy crap WHAT?!). she wants to go to Rubithon with this and my 40. works re-starts now!

I've used High lift Jacks more than once to widen a door opening. After the "fix" there were no more problems. Cruiser bodies are loosey goosey enough to allow for the variation ;)

hope so! I figured the custom body mounts won't line up or something. we'll see when it gets torn down for paint.

so it looks like a cruiser, but next steps are making it run and drive correctly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom