Product Idea I'd like to buy - for tablet GPS

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by gofast, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Devigili22

Devigili22

@jonheld Did you use any loctite to keep the ram ball in place? I've tried the longer arms and anything past 10º to the left combined with some vibration while driving starts to loosen it and it falls, and that's with a Pixel XL, much less a tablet. Also limited on how much I can tighten it as the insert will start to strip in the housing. Any pointers? @NLXTACY?

2. NLXTACY

NLXTACY Wits' End Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Wait, are you saying the Keensert is stripping in the housing now or you are worried it will?

As for the arm, it needs to positioned where it sits in a position where its tightening as it sits, not loosening.

3. Devigili22

Devigili22

Worried that it will. I would position the arm to the right (so it would tighten with gravity), but that puts it too far away for easy glancing. If you notice @jonheld 's first picture, his arm on the left is angled to the left, and I'm wondering if he's done anything to keep it from loosening the ball as vibration and gravity work on it, especially with a heavier tablet/mount.

4. NLXTACY

NLXTACY Wits' End Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Gotcha. So the Keensert is pretty robust. Its not like a typical coil insert.

5. jonheld

jonheld

Yep. Coated the threads with blue Loctite and torqued the crap out of it. Those inserts won't move.

Devigili22 and NLXTACY like this.
  6. jonheld

jonheld

The Samsung S2 is quite light and the Ram carrier is too. There's just not that much weight on there. It's been on for a few months and a couple of wheeling trips. I don't leave the tablet in the mount on a day to day basis. It's only there when I'm on a trip.

Devigili22 and NLXTACY like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.