Product Idea I'd like to buy - for tablet GPS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have no issues using the Wits End cubby hole mount with my Samsung S2 8" tablet. Been using it for navigation for the past few months. It's pretty stable.

View attachment 1788740

View attachment 1788742

@jonheld Did you use any loctite to keep the ram ball in place? I've tried the longer arms and anything past 10º to the left combined with some vibration while driving starts to loosen it and it falls, and that's with a Pixel XL, much less a tablet. Also limited on how much I can tighten it as the insert will start to strip in the housing. Any pointers? @NLXTACY?

@jonheld Did you use any loctite to keep the ram ball in place? I've tried the longer arms and anything past 10º to the left combined with some vibration while driving starts to loosen it and it falls, and that's with a Pixel XL, much less a tablet. Also limited on how much I can tighten it as the insert will start to strip in the housing. Any pointers? @NLXTACY?

Wait, are you saying the Keensert is stripping in the housing now or you are worried it will?

As for the arm, it needs to positioned where it sits in a position where its tightening as it sits, not loosening.

Wait, are you saying the Keensert is stripping in the housing now or you are worried it will?

As for the arm, it needs to positioned where it sits in a position where its tightening as it sits, not loosening.

Worried that it will. I would position the arm to the right (so it would tighten with gravity), but that puts it too far away for easy glancing. If you notice @jonheld 's first picture, his arm on the left is angled to the left, and I'm wondering if he's done anything to keep it from loosening the ball as vibration and gravity work on it, especially with a heavier tablet/mount.

Worried that it will. I would position the arm to the right (so it would tighten with gravity), but that puts it too far away for easy glancing. If you notice @jonheld 's first picture, his arm on the left is angled to the left, and I'm wondering if he's done anything to keep it from loosening the ball as vibration and gravity work on it, especially with a heavier tablet/mount.

Gotcha. So the Keensert is pretty robust. Its not like a typical coil insert.

Yep. Coated the threads with blue Loctite and torqued the crap out of it. Those inserts won't move.

The Samsung S2 is quite light and the Ram carrier is too. There's just not that much weight on there. It's been on for a few months and a couple of wheeling trips. I don't leave the tablet in the mount on a day to day basis. It's only there when I'm on a trip.

This thread inspired me to create my own GPS TAB mount system. I used RAM parts and some scrap metal to make a mount that tied into my passenger seat bolts (two front and one rear). I can pivot or swing the Tab between myself and passenger with ease and can adjust the height as well.
The Tab pictured is a Samsung Tab S2 and I use the Gaia GPS program to plot and track in real time!

20180924_052828.jpg

20180924_165721.jpg

20180924_165624.jpg

20180924_165700.jpg

20180924_165824.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom