problems with balancing boggers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,
My buddy just bought 37x13x15 SS Boggers for his 74 Bronco and wanted me to ask you guys if you had any problems with severe vibration above 20mph. He has had them balanced twice with weights and is now thinking of going with powder, but would rather not go that route. He has checked all his bushings, bearings etc.. to find if something else is causing the crazy hardcore vibration. So far everything looks good. He was running 35x12.5s without a problem, but now with the Boggers it shakes so violently that he can't take it out on the road. Any advice or experience with Boggers would help or any ideas that I could pass on. He said he would just except it as the nature of the beast, but there is no way I would let it go like it is. Its way to violent! Any suggestions would help?

Thanks

boggers (and really any bias tire) are hard to balance....IMO, weights are a waste of $$, considering I lost them every trip out.

golf balls. Sounds dumb, but run 5 or 6 per tire, just let them bang around inside. My 38.5 SX's on beadlocks have had them inside for 2+ years and it runs 70 straight as a die.

Also, I MUST run a steering stablilizer or it shimmys....it mask's the "real" problem, but for my limited road needs, it works.

Trying to balance a tire over 33 inches is a matter of luck. Most cheaper brands won't balance at all. The BFG's and Goodyear's are hit or miss up to 35 inch. Some balance well, some suck.

Even the 31x10.5 BFG ATs on my Tacoma were a toss up. I went thru a stack of 8 to find 4 good balancing ones.

Or try this:

Mark the tire at the valve stem.
Deflate tire and break the bead.
rotate the tire 180 degrees on the rim.
re-inflate.

believe it or not you can usually get a better balance after that.

the biggest problem with interco tyres is getting rond ones, if you find a shop that has a tyre shaver, and get the tyres a true round can help to balance, along with the 180 deg trick mentioned above.

The best balancing option is take your tyres to a shop that fits aircraft tyres, as they use weight patches inside the tyre which cant be knocked off, and the equipment they have will handle large tyres.

One of my 35s didn't want to balance well even after the 180 trick so I put a couple of those huge radial patches in the light side of the tire and, "Voila", problem solved. It's smooth now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom