pre emptive catalytic converters deletion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
is there such a think as a “pre-emptive” cat deletion? what does it involve? good idea?

all i really “know” about the topic is they get clogged (?) if your rig is burning oil, that people steal them, and that i don’t think i need to pass smog emissions for texas.

but beyond that it is a topic i don’t really get just yet.

THANKS

Please replace your catalytic converter when it goes bad and don't delete. Our air quality is bad enough without people deliberately turning their vehicles into smog generators. Certainly don't remove your cat before it's even shown any signs of trouble. It's not clogged, it hasn't been stolen... why?

FYI, my cats made it to about 300k before needing to be replaced (edit: because it failed emissions, not because it was clogged. Performance was still fine)

Just my two cents. Flamesuit on.

Last edited:
Please replace your catalytic converter when it goes bad and don't delete. Our air quality is bad enough without people deliberately turning their vehicles into smog generators. Certainly don't remove your cat before it's even shown any signs of trouble. It's not clogged, it hasn't been stolen... why?

FYI, my cats made it to about 300k before needing to be replaced.

Just my two cents. Flamesuit on.
thank HR.
so if i’m burning a lot of oil and still driving it you don’t like the idea of taking them off? i mean i am disinclined to add to pollution but if i should/can or even temporarily do something until i can tackle the engine i suppose i would. assuming it wasn’t a truck ton of work.
but again i know next to nothing about the topic so was just hoping to lean on those who do know.
THANK YOU

If you remove your cats It is way smellier, Even if you don't have smog checks it's against Federal Law to remove your CATS !!!!!!!!!!!
Even though I hate doing the smog checks, I know that smog control systems work and I want to do my part for clean air, If not for me for my children and grandchildren they deserve to breathe clean air.
At 270k my cats are still working fine, If it ain't broke don't fix it. 😉
If you do something stupid like that, I would not announce it like that on a public forum.

If you have removed the cats Please Please replace them for future Generations. Cheers, Rant over.

thank HR.
so if i’m burning a lot of oil and still driving it you don’t like the idea of taking them off? i mean i am disinclined to add to pollution but if i should/can or even temporarily do something until i can tackle the engine i suppose i would. assuming it wasn’t a truck ton of work.
but again i know next to nothing about the topic so was just hoping to lean on those who do know.
THANK YOU
My motor was fully rebuilt prior to the cat deletion, I too was burning a LOT of oil before the rebuild and I'm sure that contributed to clogging up the cats. It is clean now considering it only has 5k mi on the motor.

I took my cats off, they were clogged. Replaced with straight pipe. I'm in the people's republic of CA so I'll have to find a "smog friend" next year. Glad I removed them because if runs better without em. I may add 1 universal cat back later (just because it is a little bit smellier) also in my neighborhood many cars have been hit with getting cats stolen... I have not thrown a check engine light..

They're cracking down on the illegal smogs big time. Hard to find someone to do it now unless you know someone, at least up here and if you can it's pricey

My motor was fully rebuilt prior to the cat deletion, I too was burning a LOT of oil before the rebuild and I'm sure that contributed to clogging up the cats. It is clean now considering it only has 5k mi on the motor.
thanks enox,
so pretty much you leave it and you clean the cats if you do an engine overhaul then? and if it throws a code you live with it until you can fix it?

thanks enox,
so pretty much you leave it and you clean the cats if you do an engine overhaul then? and if it throws a code you live with it until you can fix it?
Yeah exactly, I'm glad you brought this thread up. I'm getting ready to install a rear bumper and prior to that ive gotta re-work my exhaust anyways.

Im planning on new cat then rework from cat back with some kind? of muffler and keeping the resonator. Issue is with the stock then it will be sitting down too low and back too far so that'll get reworked.

@Broski is going to get me some new ones ;)
I was expecting something like that Ha ha , Maybe you should be driving a Honda Civic or something cheaper to maintain.

Yeah exactly, I'm glad you brought this thread up. I'm getting ready to install a rear bumper and prior to that ive gotta re-work my exhaust anyways.

Im planning on new cat then rework from cat back with some kind? of muffler and keeping the resonator. Issue is with the stock then it will be sitting down too low and back too far so that'll get reworked.
thanks for all the help. that seems to answer that. out of curiosity what is a resonator exactly...?

thank HR.
THANK YOU
I think burning some oil is not really good reason to remove the cats. Pretty much 80%+ of cruisers on the road burn some oil, mine included. In fact, when I was working the kinks out of my homemade turbo system I inadvertently burned a crapload of oil--enough to make a James Bond smokescreen across 3 lanes of I-70 :hillbilly: The cats survived and are still doing their job according to more recent emissions tests. Over an extended time this can contribute to clogging your cat, but I believe in the vast majority of cases, the vehicle continues to burn oil and the owner does nothing about it (really, are us MUDders the only people who care about or even notice burning oil?), yet the cats continue to work until the vehicle dies of natural causes (rust, accident, mechanical failure).

Coolant really destroys cats fast. Eat a head gasket and watch the fun. At 200k mine were fine until then. Totally plugged. I bypassed them until the new ones came in. Didn't like the smell.

Yeah I don't know if the burning oil is a good reason either.
Mine burns oil, like a lot lol. Probably for the past 50,000 miles and it still passes smog perfectly which means the cats are doing there job I'd assume

The PO of my 1997 80 had an exhaust shop replace the original cat with a generic / universal cat. They cut out the old and welded the universal cat in its place. Cost was around $250. GTG. Instead of removing, just have an exhaust shop weld you in a new generic one - very common.

My 96 FZJ80 has 365,000 miles with the original exhaust system and cats.

It's had high oil usage for the last 60,000 miles and throws a Cat Inefficiency code, but they still apparently work to some degree as the engine has normal power and the exhaust doesn't stink. Point is they can continue to work for a long time. I would not remove your cats, run them until they die or as mentioned above, replace with generic (and get the oil problem fixed, note to self).

I have the Magnaflow Y-pipe with the single cat instead of the two side-by-side cats on the 93/94. Only did it because I wanted to run the Magnaflow Y-pipe. Sold the cats to a recycling place. I'm as much of a redneck as anyone - I would like to have a taxidermy Bald Eagle - but I can't see getting rid of the converters completely.

I have the Magnaflow Y-pipe with the single cat instead of the two side-by-side cats on the 93/94. Only did it because I wanted to run the Magnaflow Y-pipe. Sold the cats to a recycling place. I'm as much of a redneck as anyone - I would like to have a taxidermy Bald Eagle - but I can't see getting rid of the converters completely.
Did you keep the pipe running up over the frame, and where did you put the second oxygen sensor ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom