Catalytic converter problems (Maybe) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for people who have had problems with the catalytic converters on their FZJ. I have a 97 with 240k on the clock that I’ve owned for over 13 years. A while back it started running very weak which came on fairly quick and for lack of better terms feels like it has asthma or COPD( I’m a resp therapist so I can say that;)) I had a 4Runner that lost a converter and it felt similar. One of the things I found was the vacuum hose that runs from the EGR modulator to the EGR valve was off and when I put it back on it pops off again fairly soon when I drive it. Due to the age I did change out the VSV, EGR valve,modulator and related vacuum hoses. I also cleaned out the intake manifold ports and changed spark plugs which all looked great. After all of this it doesn’t run any better. Compression is ok at 132 to 145 across the cylinders. Also no CEL lights or codes popping up. So I guess what I’m asking is, Has anyone else had this type of experience/symptoms with failing converters. I really don’t want to throw converters on unless it‘s needed.

Could measure exhaust back pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom