Catalytic converter or something else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone confirm if this is a Catalytic Converter or a resonator???

I have a 1992 Fj80 3fe my exhaust has definitely been changed as it differs from Oem

It goes from exhaust manifold to down pipe (2 seperate pipes) to o2 sensors one on each pipe to a Y pipe right after sensors and go into One what looks like a resonator but not sure… see picture

Reason why Im asking is engine is desmog and egr deleted and think Im having symptoms of a clogged cat or something like that..

Im having issues of water temp getting hot 210deg after driving for say 30 minutes or so. And not sure what it could be.
Entire cooling system has been replaced New waterpump New radiator, new thermostat, new Green hub fan clutch, all replaced in the last few months or so.. system been flushed and filled with toyota red, new temp sensors also.

Everthing was all fine and dandy coolant temp never went above 180deg after replacing parts well left the cruiser at airport for about a week when gone for work was driving home and noticed the gauge was creeping up got home and it was around 210deg or so.
Have not been able to figure it out why it randomly started doing it. Also timing has been checked and compression check was good. Oil looks normal.

Any ideas???

IMG_1381.jpeg

Could be a cat or muffler behind the Y pipe. Check coolant level and belt tension? Check for rats nest in front of radiator?

Could be a cat or muffler behind the Y pipe. Check coolant level and belt tension? Check for rats nest in front of radiator?
Radiator is brand new just installed it last month. Coolant level is full. One thing I did notice is when taking radiator cap off there is always pressure even when cold and been sitting for a couple days. Like the cap isnt venting, tried a couple different caps and made sure the vent line to the reservoir was not clogged. Thought that was kinda weird… But fogired it was normal since its not a lot of pressure and pretty sure its below 13psi which I believe the cap is set at…

Everthing was all fine and dandy coolant temp never went above 180deg after replacing parts well left the cruiser at airport for about a week when gone for work was driving home and noticed the gauge was creeping up got home and it was around 210deg or so.
Have not been able to figure it out why it randomly started doing it. Also timing has been checked and compression check was good. Oil looks normal.
Since you left it unattended at an airport for a week, it's possible that rodents could've built a nest in that time, especially when you consider where it was parked in long term parking and the condition of some airports. Might as well have parked in a field. I'd check not only in front but also in between to make sure you have free flow of air.
Check for rats nest in front of radiator?
That was one of my 1st thoughts.

Since you left it unattended at an airport for a week, it's possible that rodents could've built a nest in that time, especially when you consider where it was parked in long term parking and the condition of some airports. Might as well have parked in a field. I'd check not only in front but also in between to make sure you have free flow of air.

That was one of my 1st thoughts.
There isnt anything blocking the air flow only reason I know for sure is because all of this happened before I replaced the radiator and all the other stuff been chasing this issue down for quite some time now

A clogged cat would reduce power of the 80 or most vehicles. When you did the cooling system did you properly bleed the system? Park it so the front end sits higher then the rear allowing air bubbles to find their way out. In the past I have seen it in the past on cars that weren't bleed properly they would get hot pockets thanks to the air in the system.

Can anyone confirm if this is a Catalytic Converter or a resonator???

I have a 1992 Fj80 3fe my exhaust has definitely been changed as it differs from Oem

It goes from exhaust manifold to down pipe (2 seperate pipes) to o2 sensors one on each pipe to a Y pipe right after sensors and go into One what looks like a resonator but not sure… see picture

Reason why Im asking is engine is desmog and egr deleted and think Im having symptoms of a clogged cat or something like that..

Im having issues of water temp getting hot 210deg after driving for say 30 minutes or so. And not sure what it could be.
Entire cooling system has been replaced New waterpump New radiator, new thermostat, new Green hub fan clutch, all replaced in the last few months or so.. system been flushed and filled with toyota red, new temp sensors also.

Any ideas???

View attachment 3450422
Strange looking. If this is a converter it's unlike any I've ever seen. What does the exhaust look like beyond this?

Strange looking. If this is a converter it's unlike any I've ever seen. What does the exhaust look like beyond this?
Thats what I was thinking behind that it has normal bend to what looks like a resonator similar to the pictured one but much smaller then to the exhaust muffler and to the tail pipe..

I tested backpressure by pulling 02 sensors and was normal so leads me to think whatever it is is not clogged.. But still not sure

A clogged cat would reduce power of the 80 or most vehicles. When you did the cooling system did you properly bleed the system? Park it so the front end sits higher then the rear allowing air bubbles to find their way out. In the past I have seen it in the past on cars that weren't bleed properly they would get hot pockets thanks to the air in the system.
Pretty sure its primed properly only due to it did it before I did anything with the cooling system.

That is one of the things I notice is slight power loss and the higher temps as well.

At first thought it was the EFI Relay getting hot but then I didnt think that would cause the engine to get hot. But now that Im thinking about it I suppose it could if there isnt proper fuel delivery or proper combustion it would cause it to do that.. At least in my head that sounds logical.

Maybe someone else could confirm that theory?

Pretty sure its primed properly only due to it did it before I did anything with the cooling system.

That is one of the things I notice is slight power loss and the higher temps as well.

At first thought it was the EFI Relay getting hot but then I didnt think that would cause the engine to get hot. But now that Im thinking about it I suppose it could if there isnt proper fuel delivery or proper combustion it would cause it to do that.. At least in my head that sounds logical.

Maybe someone else could confirm that theory?
The relay would not get hot per say, if the O2 sensors are not reading right and causing the a lean condition/rich condition you could experience a loss of power. But for the engine to get hot would lead me to think it is lean as the fuel tends to help cool things.

Have you checked your knock sensors, are both coolant temp sensor replaced?

The relay would not get hot per say, if the O2 sensors are not reading right and causing the a lean condition/rich condition you could experience a loss of power. But for the engine to get hot would lead me to think it is lean as the fuel tends to help cool things.

Have you checked your knock sensors, are both coolant temp sensor replaced?
Both coolant temp sensors have been replaced and wiring visually checked.
O2 sensors were replaced about a yr or so ago will have to look in FSM and see how to verify there working correctly havent done that yet.
Knock sensors wasnt aware the 3fe had them. So no I have not guess I need to look into that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom