Catalytic converter theft protection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, pretty much a complete novice here but I've been looking for some form of catalytic converter theft protection for my 97 landcruiser. I've seen some previous threads on here about protection but no real solutions for the 80 series. I saw somewhere that the Slee belly skid plate covered the cats is this true and is it adequate enough deterrent for theft?

Sliders typically guard the cats to some degree. My Hannas completely surround the cats on my '93.

I had some Hannas on mine. Couldn't make them work with the skids I bought afterword's and sold them. Those were beastly pieces of iron! Excellent cat protection if you can find them.

Rebar and a welder (person and machine) will be the fastest and cheapest route.

Hi, pretty much a complete novice here but I've been looking for some form of catalytic converter theft protection for my 97 landcruiser. I've seen some previous threads on here about protection but no real solutions for the 80 series. I saw somewhere that the Slee belly skid plate covered the cats is this true and is it adequate enough deterrent for theft?
Looks like Slee has some converter guards for a newer model of Cruiser-200 series? I don't see how their 80 belly plate could cover cover the cats.

Two of these followed by two of the real deal if it persists.

Another suggestion would be to move to the country in a red state, where you're neighbors look out for one another, and as an added plus, most of the time they are very well armed too

Another suggestion would be to move to the country in a red state, where you're neighbors look out for one another, and as an added plus, most of the time they are very well armed too
There have probably been more rightful owners shot by cat thieves than vice versa. In the unlikely event you're presented with an opportunity to balance this equation, consider that you could go to jail yourself for shooting such a criminal. I read about such an incident occurring in Texas. That's right, good ole Red state Texas, where catalytic converter thefts have skyrocketed just like elsewhere in the country. People look out for each other everywhere, yet this thievery continues regardless of your personal, local, or state political slant. Obviously!

There have probably been more rightful owners shot by cat thieves than vice versa. In the unlikely event you're presented with an opportunity to balance this equation, consider that you could go to jail yourself for shooting such a criminal. I read about such an incident occurring in Texas. That's right, good ole Red state Texas, where catalytic converter thefts have skyrocketed just like elsewhere in the country. People look out for each other everywhere, yet this thievery continues regardless of your personal, local, or state political slant. Obviously!
Organized crime gangs are sweeping the USA, gangs all the way from Chile. Mexican drug cartels members stealing cats as a side hustle now, they do the thefts on spare time to get extra cash and are usually armed with guns (its no longer your local tweeker). Due to these individuals citizenship status and recently implemented federal laws, they cannot be held on bail and are immediately released with no fines or jail time.

Back to the OPs question
Are we talking 80 series? If yes than slee does not offer cat guards, that's why I went with White Knuckle Offroad sliders. Even WKO sliders don't offer enough protection from scum bag thieves, you will need additional modifications and more preferably a change in both local and federal laws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom