power steering service which fluid to refill with (1 Viewer)

I have read threw all the past posts and I have not seen a consistent answer. There is the obvious dex 3. Is there a preferred fluid over that? I’m installing a new pump and hoses and flushing the old clear stuff out.
All the best.

Why reinvent the wheel, DEX3 is what Toyota recommends, so that's what I used when i rebuild my pump.

Any generic Dexron III equivilant is acceptable. It is a basic hydraulic system, and as long as it meets the criteria laid out in the FSM, it will do just fine.

Not to muddy up the responses, I used ISO32 hydraulic oil. I had some PS noises prior, thought pump was going bad but once filled with ISO32, it's all butter now. Maybe I'm just masking an issue...

Interesting thread and info here that I recently became aware of. That said, I have been using Maxlife Synth ATF (same as in my A442F) in the power steering of the 80 and BJ74.

Going to investigate and perhaps switch to what's recommended in the above linked thread. I would still maintain a small supply of Maxlife Synth ATF in the trail spares for use in either application.

hth's
gb

ERG80

SILVER Star

KISS and use in the power steering system whatever atf you use in the auto tranny. Keeps the number of different fluids you keep in the garage to a minimum. It’s also what TOYOTA recommends.

I like garage clutter so I use Mobil dte 24 ISO 32.
My power steering system likes it and I liked TOOLS reasoning for using it. I also like having hydraulic fluid around for other stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom