power steering service which fluid to refill with (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read threw all the past posts and I have not seen a consistent answer. There is the obvious dex 3. Is there a preferred fluid over that? I’m installing a new pump and hoses and flushing the old clear stuff out.
All the best.

Clear stuff???

I went with Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Same stuff I use in the transmission.

1603122843988.png

Toyota "power steering fluid" is ATF

Why reinvent the wheel, DEX3 is what Toyota recommends, so that's what I used when i rebuild my pump.

Any generic Dexron III equivilant is acceptable. It is a basic hydraulic system, and as long as it meets the criteria laid out in the FSM, it will do just fine.

Not to muddy up the responses, I used ISO32 hydraulic oil. I had some PS noises prior, thought pump was going bad but once filled with ISO32, it's all butter now. Maybe I'm just masking an issue...

any Dextron compatible ATF
I use STP ATF Multipurpose.

Interesting thread and info here that I recently became aware of. That said, I have been using Maxlife Synth ATF (same as in my A442F) in the power steering of the 80 and BJ74.

Going to investigate and perhaps switch to what's recommended in the above linked thread. I would still maintain a small supply of Maxlife Synth ATF in the trail spares for use in either application.

hth's
gb

KISS and use in the power steering system whatever atf you use in the auto tranny. Keeps the number of different fluids you keep in the garage to a minimum. It’s also what TOYOTA recommends.

I like garage clutter so I use Mobil dte 24 ISO 32.
My power steering system likes it and I liked TOOLS reasoning for using it. I also like having hydraulic fluid around for other stuff.

Mobil DTE 24, no noises.

Is it OK to reuse Mobil DTE 24 after opening? I bought a gallon of it a year or so ago and would like to do another power steering fluid flush.

Thank you ~

Talked to a Mobil lube engineer years ago asking them a similar question, how long would Mobil 1 in the bottle still be usable. He said many many years as long as the bottle has been sealed (no oxygen/humidity).

You could call Mobil's tech line and ask to be transfered to a hydraulic oil tech @ 800 662 4525

Talked to a Mobil lube engineer years ago asking them a similar question, how long would Mobil 1 in the bottle still be usable. He said many many years as long as the bottle has been sealed (no oxygen/humidity).

You could call Mobil's tech line and ask to be transfered to a hydraulic oil tech @ 800 662 4525

you are a gent and scholar, thanks Kernal

Update:

I called and spoke with a Mobil tech rep there... they couldn't give me a firm answer yes or no. Too many variables they said. I told them it sat in a storage locker for about a year. He said it should be safe, but can't be sure.

Update:

I called and spoke with a Mobil tech rep there... they couldn't give me a firm answer yes or no. Too many variables they said. I told them it sat in a storage locker for about a year. He said it should be safe, but can't be sure.
I think it's a much bigger issue with brake fluid since it's a bit hygroscopic. If I recall, brake fluid is glycol based (like coolant) and hydraulic fluids are hydrocarbon based. So much less likely to absorb water.

Last edited:
I think it's a much bigger issue with brake fluid since it's a bit hygroscopic. If I recall, brake fluid is glycol based (like coolant) and hydraulic fluids are hydrocarbon based. So much less like to absorb water.
Good points and I brought that up, but he hemmed and hawed. Maybe the guy I spoke with had no clue.

There are two levels of tech support, first level they just read information off their computer screen, but you can ask for second level tech support and you'll get someone with some actual training/knowledge.

Their standard answer is that an unopened bottle of Mobil 1 is good for five years, but once it's opened it's good for one year. IIRC one of the second level tech's once said it was likely good for much longer than the official answer of five years unopened.

Blackstone Laboratories has reported in their newsletter engine oil analysis results that they've done on new old stock engine oil from sealed cans and bottles, some were 30+ years old IIRC. The results came back as lubricating oil that was usable.

Trivia: I just found, pushed way to the back of a storage closet, an unopened bottle of Mobil 1 10W-30 that is likely at least 10 years old. I plan to use it. FWIW.

Last edited:
There are two levels of tech support, first level they just read information off their computer screen, but you can ask for second level tech support and you'll get someone with some actual training/knowledge.

Their standard answer is that an unopened bottle of Mobil 1 is good for five years, but once it's opened it's good for one year. IIRC one of the second level tech's once said it was likely good for much longer than the official answer of five years unopened.

Blackstone Laboratories has reported in their newsletter engine oil analysis results that they've done on new old stock engine oil from sealed cans and bottles, some were 30+ years old IIRC. The results came back as lubricating oil that was usable.

Trivia: I just found, pushed way to the back of a storage closet, an unopened bottle of Mobil 1 10W-30 that is likely at least 10 years old. I plan to use it. FWIW.
People need to remember, these really aren’t the delicate little snowflakes they seem to think they are...

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom