Power steering pump seal kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone used the power steering seal kit from Cruiser Corps? Wondering if it’s worth trying.

I’ve never heard a success story from anyone trying to rebuild the 2F Toyota PS pump regardless of what seal kit they used.
Toyota conveniently never offered the cruicial bushing needed for a proper rebuild, Without a new bushing, the unit invariably leaks again even with new seals after a short while.

Do you have an FJ60 or an FJ62? The FJ62 pump can be rebuilt - it uses a bearing instead of a bushing.

^^^

Buy a new one or convert to a Saginaw pump. Search for the thread.

Total waste of time, effort & $$ to rebuild the stock pump w/o the needed bushing. I’ve rebuilt 3…w/o the bushing, they will always start leaking again.

Do the Saginaw conversion. I JUST went through this a few weeks ago and it’s a real PITA. I broke the last bolt putting it back together. Bought a new pump and it’s leaking again.

Has anyone used the power steering seal kit from Cruiser Corps? Wondering if it’s worth trying.
You can trust cruiser corps, cruiser outfitters, Witts End for the seal kit. Other than Toyota brand of course. I think at least one of these retailers sell the Toyota version seal kit.
You can source the bearing by reading the part number stamped into the edge of the bearing. Look for Koyo, Timken, NTN bearings. All good.
If your pump is making noise, it could be because the screen/diffuser inside the reservoir is clogged. There is a microfine screen inside the reservoir That needs to be cleaned.

Once your open the pump, you can decide if a new or rebuilt pump is needed.

sludge.JPG

20211201_122324.jpg

20211201_122334.jpg

20211201_122308.jpg

20211201_122151.jpg

20211201_122219.jpg

Last edited:
I JUST went through this a few weeks ago and it’s a real PITA. I broke the last bolt putting it back together. Bought a new pump and it’s leaking again.

new OEM pump? or a generic parts store pump?

new OEM pump? or a generic parts store pump?
Parts store pump. It’s Chinese. It’s an exact copy of the original. It’s not a remanufactured unit but rather a new built unit. Or so they claim.

Hi, I have hit and miss results rebuilding these Old pumps. Don’t do it fast or when you are tired and keep the work bench very clean. Oh…and pray. Mike

I recently replaced OEM power steering pump with a City Racer which I believe are made in China. I heard these were not as good as OEM but took the chance. Seems to be slowly leaking at the cap as fluid accumulates on rim of top. Worth trying to mend or time to go the Saginaw route?
IMG_6659.jpeg

I recently replaced OEM power steering pump with a City Racer which I believe are made in China. I heard these were not as good as OEM but took the chance. Seems to be slowly leaking at the cap as fluid accumulates on rim of top. Worth trying to mend or time to go the Saginaw route?
View attachment 2904972

If that's a used cap I'd first try using a new OEM cap.

I worked as a fluid pump repair person in the past - mainly for pressure washers and airless paint pumps. Rebuilding my 60 PS pump with the Cruiser Corps kit was fairly straightforward - to me anyway - but it worked for about 48 hours after I installed it and never worked again. No leaks, just didn't work. That's no dig at Cruiser Corps, see below....

My thoughts on it are the same as most above - go a different direction. I think the unobtainable front press-fit bearing can cause leaking and woggle in the shaft when it's old and scarred up (I've been inside three 60 pumps and all of them had bad bushings), the slippers can wear (there's an FSM spec test for those as I recall, but I've never heard of replacements existing), the springs can weaken (I cut some new springs to size, the stiffness felt similar with a finger test, but who knows how accurate that is). Lastly - and this is an educated guess that I have no proof for - the check balls might be wallowing out the seals, allowing fluid to slip past and pressure loss.

I've been talking with a machinist lately you wants a crack at fabricating the unobtainable front bearing. I keep telling him I don't think that's the magic bullet, but he really wants to try it, so we might do that. I'd rebuild another pump I have here and give it a go. I have low expectations and will probably go Saginaw before the summer.

I worked as a fluid pump repair person in the past - mainly for pressure washers and airless paint pumps. Rebuilding my 60 PS pump with the Cruiser Corps kit was fairly straightforward - to me anyway - but it worked for about 48 hours after I installed it and never worked again. No leaks, just didn't work. That's no dig at Cruiser Corps, see below....

My thoughts on it are the same as most above - go a different direction. I think the unobtainable front press-fit bearing can cause leaking and woggle in the shaft when it's old and scarred up (I've been inside three 60 pumps and all of them had bad bushings), the slippers can wear (there's an FSM spec test for those as I recall, but I've never heard of replacements existing), the springs can weaken (I cut some new springs to size, the stiffness felt similar with a finger test, but who knows how accurate that is). Lastly - and this is an educated guess that I have no proof for - the check balls might be wallowing out the seals, allowing fluid to slip past and pressure loss.

I've been talking with a machinist lately you wants a crack at fabricating the unobtainable front bearing. I keep telling him I don't think that's the magic bullet, but he really wants to try it, so we might do that. I'd rebuild another pump I have here and give it a go. I have low expectations and will probably go Saginaw before the summer.
I've successfully rebuilt my FJ62 pump, but they have a bearing, not a bushing. It's on its fifth year now. The bearing is actually a Suzuki motorcycle bearing, found out about that here on MUD quite a while ago, thanks to @cruiserbrett:

I've successfully rebuilt my FJ62 pump, but they have a bearing, not a bushing. It's on its fifth year now. The bearing is actually a Suzuki motorcycle bearing, found out about that here on MUD quite a while ago, thanks to @cruiserbrett:

That's the 60 bushing? Or the 62 bearing?

(thanks for correctinf my verbiage)

I'll add in just buying a new OEM pump. Replaced my original with new OEM and no problems whatsoever. No leaks or games. Just a solid pump. Costs a bit more than the Chinese copy's, but I hate doing work twice and it was worth it to me to just get something that works to move on to the next project. HTH.

I rebuilt mine and snapped a bolt reassembling it. I’m using the Chinese copy and it leaks just a little bit.

You’re correct on the press sleeve wearing out. The belt pulls the shaft in one direction and it eventually wears the sleeves. New seals get messed up quickly when the belt pulls the shaft. If you could replace the sleeves and springs I think it would be 100% rebuildable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom