Power steering pump options (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got a leaky, messy power steering pump on my FJ60. I watched a few videos and convinced myself it’s doable to DIY the replacement. Curious what you think of these options:

Cheap: Remanufactured pump from Napa or similar. Reuse the existing reservoir.

Medium: Pump and reservoir replacement from Toyota Parts Deal.

Spendy: OEM pump/reservoir assembly from SOR.

I’m leaning toward medium, mostly because I’d rather not monkey around with the old reservoir. Any other insight from your experience replacing one of these would be appreciated too!
0D9A5304-D527-4BDA-9FE3-84EACE8C55BF.jpeg

Your own “medium“ option is actually the best. As OSS pointed out - new OEM, with reservoir, is still available from Toyota and will last you another good long while. I got mine from Camelback Toyota online years back - I think they’re more reliable and just as competitive as Parts Deal.

There are some good threads on here about replacement, with various strategies about accessing the bracket bolts. Like a lot of people on here, I found it easier to take the whole bracket and pump assembly off together, then I put the bracket back on before installing the new pump.

Whatever you do, take a good look at your smog pump while you’re in there. If the PS pump has been leaking on it for a while, it’ll be the next thing to go.

It’s also a great time to replace that engine mount right in there, if it needs it.

Your own “medium“ option is actually the best. As OSS pointed out - new OEM, with reservoir, is still available from Toyota and will last you another good long while. I got mine from Camelback Toyota online years back - I think they’re more reliable and just as competitive as Parts Deal.

There are some good threads on here about replacement, with various strategies about accessing the bracket bolts. Like a lot of people on here, I found it easier to take the whole bracket and pump assembly off together, then I put the bracket back on before installing the new pump.

Whatever you do, take a good look at your smog pump while you’re in there. If the PS pump has been leaking on it for a while, it’ll be the next thing to go.

It’s also a great time to replace that engine mount right in there, if it needs it.
Thanks for the gut check. Sounds smart, and yea I probably wasn’t clear that the medium option was the new OEM.

PO desmogged it, so I think I’m good on that count.

I actually had a hard time finding threads on power steering pump replacements, so if you have them at your fingertips, that would be appreciated. If not, I’ll look further.

Sitting here thinking, man that pump leaks far less than ones I have put in rigs to rebirth them.

cough cough it’s not that bad of a leak but get after it broham cough cough

Sitting here thinking, man that pump leaks far less than ones I have put in rigs to rebirth them.

cough cough it’s not that bad of a leak but get after it broham cough cough
Hmmm interesting. Partly I was thinking of replacing it because the power steering doesn’t seem super, uh, powerful. Also there’s a funny rumbling noise from under the hood in that area, so my logic was, since I know it’s leaking, why not replace it and then see if that happens to also resolve that mystery noise.

I got the pump from city racer and it works well, looks stock, and installs easily. Otherwise try @ToyotaMatt and see if he has a line in an oem.

I’ve got a leaky, messy power steering pump on my FJ60. I watched a few videos and convinced myself it’s doable to DIY the replacement. Curious what you think of these options:

Cheap: Remanufactured pump from Napa or similar. Reuse the existing reservoir.

Medium: Pump and reservoir replacement from Toyota Parts Deal.

Spendy: OEM pump/reservoir assembly from SOR.

I’m leaning toward medium, mostly because I’d rather not monkey around with the old reservoir. Any other insight from your experience replacing one of these would be appreciated too!
View attachment 2719089

You would be VERY unwise to install and intermingle GETTO Detroit technology

such as a Saginaw pump on your nice stock 2F

I also concur with @Seth S

@Racer65 city racer parts store is your bEsT oem type pump replacement option going on Period …

I can help with the high pressure line and a return line fitting if need be ..

f70e2761e28cc9805f5306ccfe3cf2d7 - Copy - Copy - Copy.png

Just make a filler cap for a Getto Detroit pump that say

TOYODA

problem solved! 😉

Like my gold cad one I keep in my top desk drawer NOS one here ?

F1A757C9-4C7A-46F4-B1D2-993B1502993D.jpeg
1B5EB27D-9A4D-48FA-9648-35632433E756.jpeg
FC2174CF-49FE-4F75-A583-942E56A97986.jpeg
If​

Thanks guys. Who knew power steering pumps could be controversial!

This is a bit off track, but since @DFXR mentioned a smog pump I got to wondering. Sure enough, it’s still there. But unless I’m wrong, it’s not connected to anything other than that belt! Wondering if now is the time to put in one of those dummy idler pulleys that SOR has for smog delete.
8AD3DFC7-6BDF-482E-810D-923E8425E320.jpeg

Drill a hole in the the smog pump and install grease fitting, pump a little grease in and forget about it. Unless it’s in your way

Whatever you do with the PS pump, I'd still ditch the smog pump for a pulley.

Jim C (tlcperformance.com) sells a good one. If the smog pump is not in your way now it will be before you know it. Don't throw it away though - somebody out there will need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom