Power Seat Eats Replacement Gears (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't think there's any question these aren't perfect, and the same could maybe be said for the original design- keep in mind these trucks are 20 years old, and this is probably the only power seat in the world you can attempt to fix yourself for $20 and an hour. A few guys do struggle with this, but the numbers of successes definitely support the fact that if installed well, these can and do work. It's impossible to qualify every install though, as everyone, everyone's truck, and everyone's seats at this point have been subject to a variety of things you may or may no know about.. it could be that one system in your truck that's been abused more than any other.

Do keep in mind the install is a bit of a finesse- you need to line the press up straight, and use heat so that your steel shaft cuts new teeth into the gear as you press it on. If you force it, do it crooked, or do it too cold, that gear will crack. But take your time and be gentle, and it should last a long time.

The other recurring issue I see is people cranking everything down too tight- remember this stuff needs to still move, in particular that white cap is really just a holder for the other shaft, shouldn't be screwed in tight at all. And it's pretty critical that both sides of the seat be in alignment with each other. Do all that, take your time, and you should have a successful install.

As of course if you still struggle a bit you can email, PM, or post up.. can't guarantee I see every post though but I do respond to all the others.

Funny, I noticed the same thing. My second attempt was successful so the seat is working now, with the WoWowoWowoWow sound but I am totally fine with that.
I really appreciate having this option to fix our seats so props to you nakman :cheers:for making it available to us. I understand well the monetary and time investment it took for you to bring this part to market and provide an invaluable service to your Cruiser brethren, so thank you for that. Especially for a low priced product that you don't have a huge margin on.
Like I said, my only reason for bumping this thread up and adding my operator induced mishap is to have all available information in one place for future searches. Not at all to bash nakman or his product.

Last edited:
I tried fixing my 2 front seats with the gamiviti kit and ended up right where I started (maybe a bit worse off now), where can i find these newer ones?

If it helps any, the first gear I put in was eaten as well. Made very very sure on the second one that the seat and rails were perfectly aligned and I've been fine for more years than I can remember now.

Just received my brass gears for the power seats. Bought the plastic ones and they stripped in short order. I'll let you know how they work

Just received my brass gears for the power seats. Bought the plastic ones and they stripped in short order. I'll let you know how they work
One of the things that Ryan does not mention on the seat gear replacement video is to clean out all the old grease inside each gearbox.

I have done 4 seats so far, and each gearbox was filled with old grease that turned into glue after 22+ years. It is time consuming, but that is the primary reason for plastic gear failure. Also clean out the driveshaft tube. Use white lithium grease for everything.
Take the time to clean the long spiral shafts. They get filled with hair and carpet and crap.
Also lube the seat rails. They should move freely.

^^^ This!

Even after new gears my seats would not adjust if the ambient temps were below 40 degrees until the cabin heated up. Now, after thoroughly cleaning away all the old gummy grease (out of all the places @jonheld mentions) and using white lithium grease in its place, the seats will adjust normally in subfreezing temperatures.

I installed my brass replacement gears this weekend. They are quiet and work great. Very smooth.

It was much easier than doing the plastic gears. No pressing the gears off the shafts. Just drop them in, grease the case well. The alignment is key. I found mine for $20 each BTW.

I installed my brass replacement gears this weekend. They are quiet and work great. Very smooth.

It was much easier than doing the plastic gears. No pressing the gears off the shafts. Just drop them in, grease the case well. The alignment is key. I found mine for $20 each BTW.
Where did you get your brass gears from? I need to order up a set for both front seats.

Good to know the brass gears work well for you. Something to file away for future reference if my plastic gears go out again. (Even though I'm one of the guys who has stated the plastic gears are a form of mechanical fuse.)

Did you replace both gears for the seat? There are two. One for each rail.

I replaced the gears once on both front seats, they lasted 1.5 years.
I have now fixed my seats permanently buy replacing them with manual rail Corbeau Sport seats.
The oem seats are going in the dumpster where they belong.

I just replaced a seat with a new gear. Put it back together and it still only goes forward. Any ideas?

I also replaced my gears and white button, and it still doesn't work correctly.
I'm going to clean everything out, grease and re-install the gears, and hope they are not damaged.
Check out this thread. Seat gear sludge

After replacing all 4 gears and still not having the seat movement work properly, I took the entire seat motors assembly apart and clean each and every part with Purple power and Simple green. Thoroughly cleaned, dried and used White Lithium grease on all moving parts and reassembled.
That was definitely the key.

Lesson: If you are going to change out the seat gears, take the extra time to thoroughly de-grease, clean and re-grease all the moving parts again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom