Potts Mountain Jeep Trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did big levels once. Don’t ever need to do it again in a 4wd. It was 10 miles of bouncing over softballl sized rocks and uphill switchbacks. At the end (or beginning depending on your direction) are some giant stagnant pools of varying depth.
Sounds frustrating... Too bumpy to go fast, but not bumpy enough to go real slow.

I did big levels once. Don’t ever need to do it again in a 4wd. It was 10 miles of bouncing over softballl sized rocks and uphill switchbacks. At the end (or beginning depending on your direction) are some giant stagnant pools of varying depth.

X2

That's a pretty good description. I had the benefit of only needing a 10inch wide line to make it up without being too jarring.
I saw a stock f150 up there and the guy driving it did not have a smile on his face.

Found my old thread on here when we went in 2015. Has some pics on page 4 and 5.

I just went yesterday with another 80 and an LS powered CJ. It was great. Saw the Shenandoah valley guys out there. Almost rolled an 80 (not mine), bent some control arms, and pretzeled a drag link (not mine).

It is definitely the best public trail VA has to offer. Hands down.

Here’s a couple pictures of the most exciting part of the day. These are not representative of the trail. This was a an optional obstacle.

AA666B88-BDFD-46FA-A25E-4C4E073DD976.jpeg
42619653-9A78-43CC-AB5D-591F3F67CADF.jpeg
C8B1E592-DE50-4AC9-A60F-6E96DE3BF5AD.jpeg

Friendly PSA: many of you know this, but a hilift handle is a perfect fit over a bent 80 series drag link.
A478DEF4-F0FC-4CBB-9806-965EF25ACB75.jpeg

Here’s a couple pictures of the most exciting part of the day. These are not representative of the trail. This was a an optional obstacle.

View attachment 2163795View attachment 2163797View attachment 2163798

Friendly PSA: many of you know this, but a hilift handle is a perfect fit over a bent 80 series drag link.
View attachment 2163799

How long did it take yal? What would you say minimum set up should be for a rig? Watched the 2nd video from MSO but I feel like they made it harder than need be

Well there was a 4door first gen Tacoma there on 285s with a rear locker and armor that walked through everything including some of the optional lines. Dude was a great driver. Then there was an LS powered YJ on 42s that was struggling in some spots. So really driver skill has a lot to do with it.

I’d say 33s and sliders and another vehicle would be absolute bare minimum. A rear locker would be nice. And if you are in some newer Toyota a fuel tank skid plate. Most importantly a strong sense of adventure - spots on the trail look very intimidating, but turn out to be quite tame when you pick the correct line.

Having run the trail 6 or 7 times now I’m excited to take my stock height first gen 4Runner on 33s. I think it will be a blast. The 80 on 37s takes a lot of the fun out of it.

I just watched that video. If those guys had spent less time f***ing with their Maxtraxs and more time driving they would have been fine. But they were doing the trail - no optional lines. That’s what it’s like.

Don’t base your opinion of the trail on those guys. It’s clear by the patches on the ceiling and the expensive overland gear that they have more money than experience. The right lines and a couple carefully placed rocks would have put them through that section around the 20 mintute mark in about 3 minutes.

I just watched that video. If those guys had spent less time f***ing with their Maxtraxs and more time driving they would have been fine. But they were doing the trail - no optional lines. That’s what it’s like.

Don’t base your opinion of the trail on those guys. It’s clear by the patches on the ceiling and the expensive overland gear that they have more money than experience. The right lines and a couple carefully placed rocks would have put them through that section around the 20 mintute mark in about 3 minutes.

That was exactly what I was thinking from watching the 2nd video. Instead of spending all that time using the products of their sponsors they could've picked smarter lines and been done no problem. But since video sometimes flattens things out, wasn't sure if lifted was actually required. Also the info you provided will help if we do a trail ride for the people that want to join to know what to expect/where their rigs need to be. :cheers:

I thought i had lots of tools in my LC. I guess i need to add a pickle fork. ;)

Also, I want to see this 4runner!

Its not too exciting at the moment, but its fun to drive. I think it’s going to be my “small tire wheeler”. I’ll be able to have fun on public, mild, VA trails again.

743B3DE8-4CEE-4580-AAD1-72E6D909604D.jpeg

2X on that.
I’ve alway had good luck with just a hammer wack for TREs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom