Potts Mountain Jeep Trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

afgman786

SILVER Star
Threads
Just watched this video by MSO. Looks like it could be a fun trail to check out on one of our trail rides!

It looks difficult unless you have big tires and a decent lift based on that video. I asked a friend who went to VT thats been on it a few times and he said there were multiple casualties the few times he went out. Someone got a hole in their diff, another person came down on a rock with their running board and dented the body so the door wouldn't open, a broken dana 60, and lots of body damage.

It looks difficult unless you have big tires and a decent lift based on that video. I asked a friend who went to VT thats been on it a few times and he said there were multiple casualties the few times he went out. Someone got a hole in their diff, another person came down on a rock with their running board and dented the body so the door wouldn't open, a broken dana 60, and lots of body damage.

Yea from the video it doesn't look like it'd be a ride for stockers to be going on.

I ran it probably 5 years ago in the 4Runner. It is pretty gnarly at points but I didn't have any difficulty going through just on 33s and rear locker. Could be worse now. It's not a super long trail (7 miles IIRC?) and there's nothing else around it really. We just did a day trip, end to end, ate lunch, and back.

I've run Potts with @BlueCruiser84 and another buddy of mine, all 3 in 80s with mild lift and 33s. Nothing too difficult that I recall. It is a nice trail to do with an overnight. About 3 miles in the trail comes to a huge clearing at the top of a ridge where you can set camp. We ran it the weekend before Thanksgiving (a few years ago) and there was a group of hunters who apparently setup camp every year up there with one of those old school 20 person canvas cabin tents with a wood stove/chimney cut out. They said they setup camp at the start of the season and it's occupied by some number of the group throughout the whole season. If I recall one of their vehicles was a stock TJ but they might have started from the way we were finishing which was pretty easy on the way out.

I wonder if they close that trail for winter. Could be a cool snow wheeling trail if not.

It closes from January 1-April/March.

I’ve run it persoanlly in an 80on 33s/lockers. I got a couple dents in my rockers. Then I was on 35s. More dents. Then 37s. More dents. All dents after the first one on 33s were optional. Th rocker dents on 33s were due to negligence and lack of caring.

I’ve run it with another guy in an open/open Toyota pickup on 33s. I’ve run it with a guy in a Cherokee on 32s and a rear locker. Neither of these guys damaged anything. Last trip there was a guy in a stock height sidekick open/open on 32s. He ran everything, no problem, but this was a beater.

it’s been about a year since I was there, but there is only one part you have to do that is tricky and potentially Impassable in a stock truck.

For the faint of heart I would suggest 33s and sliders at minimum and go with a buddy.

Looks like I should acquire some traction boards and maybe a little armor before spring.
Meh, I have yet to personally witness anyone use maxtraxx on a trail. Not to say they aren't useful.
Armor is a necessity.

Is in my area and I still haven't gone.

I watched it again. Those guys definitely punched the tickets on everything ARB . The hydraulic jack is cool but not $750 cool.

It's gotta be nice getting sponsorships..

Interested in either or trails runs. I was up on big levels last year (on a dirt bike) and there was a swimming pool at the end.

Sub'd

I did big levels once. Don’t ever need to do it again in a 4wd. It was 10 miles of bouncing over softballl sized rocks and uphill switchbacks. At the end (or beginning depending on your direction) are some giant stagnant pools of varying depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom