Post your wheeling damage pics (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@dmc did you see this article?

Yep. 1992. I picked it up last year. It was may daily driver until winter hit. I then swapped my Tundra for the 200 in February. The excitement of being back in a 200 hasn't worn off yet so now the Century gets used about once a week or on Sunday drives. View attachment 2056994

@dmc did you see this article?

yeah. I bought a couple of copies of it. So funny they went and tested an old car. I joke that I think my Century is 0-60 in 12.2. It's faster because I have leather instead of wool. The used Century world is incredibly small so I was quickly able to connect with the guys in that article after I bought mine. Coincidentally, Johnny Lieberman that wrote that article is a huge fan of the 200. He loves it.

Last edited:
Yep. 1992. I picked it up last year. It was may daily driver until winter hit. I then swapped my Tundra for the 200 in February. The excitement of being back in a 200 hasn't worn off yet so now the Century gets used about once a week or on Sunday drives. View attachment 2056994
Absolutely beautiful!

Reactions: dmc
Japanese Rolls Royce... super rare, and super collectible.

I don't want the wheeling damage thread to get to hijacked and it looks like a lot of people know about the Century already however if you want more info, this recent article, timed around the launch of the 3rd Gen Century will give you all you need to know.

I agree that car is super rare. Especially outside of Japan. Maybe only 20 of them in the US. However I don't know if I'd call it super collectible. There have been a few sell recently for under $10k. I didn't pay much more than that for mine. 1992 with only 42k miles on it. The 1st gen (only version currently legal in the US) lasted from 67-97. The late 80s/early 90s had the highest production numbers because of a stong Japanese economy. 1st gen was never sold outside of Japan. This video does a very good job of showing all the funky 90s innovation.

I don't want the wheeling damage thread to get to hijacked and it looks like a lot of people know about the Century already however if you want more info, this recent article, timed around the launch of the 3rd Gen Century will give you all you need to know.

I agree that car is super rare. Especially outside of Japan. Maybe only 20 of them in the US. However I don't know if I'd call it super collectible. There have been a few sell recently for under $10k. I didn't pay much more than that for mine. 1992 with only 42k miles on it. The 1st gen (only version currently legal in the US) lasted from 67-97. The late 80s/early 90s had the highest production numbers because of a stong Japanese economy. 1st gen was never sold outside of Japan. This video does a very good job of showing all the funky 90s innovation.

I find it interesting and a bit odd that it would be more "desirable" for humans to build a car than precision robots in today's day and age. The value proposition it seems in these incredibly expensive bespoke cars lies within the amount of skilled and precise manual labor that goes into them, but I can't imagine a human building a car from the ground up is much better than robots doing 80-90% of the work with a human fine tuning and dialing in the rest which of course would drastically reduce the cost to build. It is also amusing to see how understated and dated the Century looks in today's world, but it is helpful in understanding why Toyota is cool with letting ancient designs and outdated technology keep rolling through their product lines year after year (yes, I'm talking about the 200, the 4runner, Tundra, Tacoma, etc.). Perhaps most baffling, it seems the longer the product lines exist, the better they sell which shows I know a lot less about this stuff than Toyota :D

Nothing major, and for anyone that has every wheeled a 200, it's almost expected. But I got my first damage and now I guess I have an excuse to start shopping for rear bumpers. View attachment 2056976View attachment 2056977
Pour boiling water on it and it'll push right out from the inside. I just did the same on my GX last night. 👌
IMG_20190812_140407.jpg
IMG_20190812_222730.jpg

Gotta lover simple fixes!

I find it interesting and a bit odd that it would be more "desirable" for humans to build a car than precision robots in today's day and age. The value proposition it seems in these incredibly expensive bespoke cars lies within the amount of skilled and precise manual labor that goes into them, but I can't imagine a human building a car from the ground up is much better than robots doing 80-90% of the work with a human fine tuning and dialing in the rest which of course would drastically reduce the cost to build. It is also amusing to see how understated and dated the Century looks in today's world, but it is helpful in understanding why Toyota is cool with letting ancient designs and outdated technology keep rolling through their product lines year after year (yes, I'm talking about the 200, the 4runner, Tundra, Tacoma, etc.). Perhaps most baffling, it seems the longer the product lines exist, the better they sell which shows I know a lot less about this stuff than Toyota :D

My experience with Japanese culture is limited to a 2 week vacation last year and some light reading but I keep going back to the appeal of the Century is something us gaijin can't quite understand. I think technology is viewed as essential and beneficial for the masses, but the elite value tradition and hard earned skills. IE you can get sushi on conveyor belts in any city 24 hours a day but they prize specifically raised beef and the ability to present it in a delicate and precise fashion. I'm totally guessing here but having spent much of the last year trying to understand the buyers of the Century I keep going back to tradition and technique has more value than the car itself.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love my Century. I bought it in Virginia and drove it home to Utah and every single mile was a pleasure. It's quiet, it's smooth, it's comfortable (as long as you're short like me) and I understand why they are an aspirational vehicle. But it's not 3x better than a 92 Lexus GS400 despite being priced as such when new. Although the paint is something that is definitely a step up from mass produced cars of the same era. I'm trying my best to arrange a tour of the Century factory. I doubt it will happen but I have some contacts. If it happens I'll double dip and take a tour of the LC factory while I'm over there and compare the two. I'd love to get the book made during the production of my Century. I'd pay a lot of money for it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom