Post your wheeling damage pics (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm trying my best to arrange a tour of the Century factory. I doubt it will happen but I have some contacts. If it happens I'll double dip and take a tour of the LC factory while I'm over there and compare the two.

Dave: If you are able to pull off the Japan plant tour with Koyari-san, the good thing now is that there are three plants manufacturing LCs:

Toyota Tahara and TAB Yoshiwara for 200/LX
TAB Yoshiwara for 71/76/78 series
TAB Fujimatsu for 79 single and double cabs

The last one is the most recent plant they have expanded due to production demand. It was weird to find out that all LC pick-up manufacture had been moved to another plant.

Anyway, next year is 10 year anniversary of mine and CDan’s visit to Yoshiwara. We are contemplating a return visit for more of a “deep drive” into the Toyota system. ;)

Dave: If you are able to pull off the Japan plant tour with Koyari-san, the good thing now is that there are three plants manufacturing LCs:

Toyota Tahara and TAB Yoshiwara for 200/LX
TAB Yoshiwara for 71/76/78 series
TAB Fujimatsu for 79 single and double cabs

The last one is the most recent plant they have expanded due to production demand. It was weird to find out that all LC pick-up manufacture had been moved to another plant.

Anyway, next year is 10 year anniversary of mine and CDan’s visit to Yoshiwara. We are contemplating a return visit for more of a “deep drive” into the Toyota system. ;)
I'll go wherever Koyari-san wants to take me. I'm not picky.

View attachment 2062159
Need some sliders for the LX

Looks like they slid just fine :p

I'll likely get sliders for my LX at some point in the future. In the mean time, I find in pinch situations, that my 2" wider track (1" spacers), and wider 305 tires, does a decent job of keeping terrain off the side of the body. At least more so than the stock inset wheels and narrower tires.

Driving up a rocky road into the sun. Front tire went around this massive boulder and back tire ran into it. Couldn't drive over it so I backed up and slammed my driver's LCA into the boulder. Later that day, I failed to clear my drivers front tire from another massive boulder and ended up moving it up and out of the earth with my wheel.

Does anyone have any suggestions for painting the LCA to protect from rust? I was thinking a couple coats of flat black rust-oleum.

Cd3qj7DXa17OQUnc5tr0gUq5oV0GshhedntHZTLRpVsJhVbHKyw1tRnMAYYgsc4Rlng_AYalazAky2FLElU2Yo4WlR5yE3eTQc-IATKb-cpYvA_3lB0ierCLbMnOHX8dXJO6_fBm9i9KLL7ssXzOvWJZ16ScMBb2JIhXfKllOGUSOkUlX7x3qaj1jm3jX-PDiJHB8c0_P1f3UxXkugPjhw75BZHd1lvJLlvR19pVzvzusvXLT685aLA-PGuCsw0jpeFg08IhhU0YfCqE90O-XyL6YG4YDs9MYURZPSV4lGrh7K5i5HKR4S7FaDar5WNsq_j1p4OfvxXhdTHPLNY5cNvSB2ATwD-aLMIukHvmVnqkrO7isQOH1HVf5CHIB2elFqWKzO6kfrjxrUEesz4YIUX6GdKhdweZX2DzAuadqYxjFFd8r3_qUOr6ljLxcJ7Lrmi-P5ukQWsfzd5_O9Xy7-IBmA0Bzc2f8Xwd2N7vMj45bsqJj5Yoh3_D4hKlxvFRRovsEEw1kXUDj9Y_Z_CcCdP84ns8cr1ovVhJhmgz4G7X8Z0OzjcB3J9f8xqXwYUiAaMYtHUNKzu5jpVUP1KrjbZyRkqEJbYD6YDaBSFqluKe4PT8SRpROpkj7QNTTYFKjCsaAiY1L-0fJ0tJZn9-pMUqdii2Ma6l=w461-h947-no
O-rNIaqNB1g6djrxaISNIdB_6UlTZ9PhuJKW-WKALFOmmNBcTh-eIStXe-iikrGxV--vI-5uQfS7Ofihui2hkGAmLeZMNZ41P2KRY5iatheedlx9P8dzvYs2b_mem8sh0OBIAbOZDex4mjkWggEIRfhVyAwfVQGixxh4HxDSWeJQ61cpOC0Z1Sj5wilRbvkV51cCmotnlU2Ks66VsAws4BMgketCv0aZr6nNowNyygPB0BUIC42dNVBpb8gMFeLojCc1ayIcImxSQNx2l3iUoYTKJKi2S0jUwZ2UbHA9nNt6vkkZJ53gz2qZJudaA8dmxNIJQdFReXD3Vlb-BxGK3fAH33NsiQ1mBRA2ECSrO1RoClaenSjoRNqqYYMH-mfyN_5l52dLo-T6xFF2j4mDjfhD9MTB6Aiv77BDuSjOh_9nTxvOlzAhRnI0VV6H6u1IvKXVzYSJGFanEktHgMUlS-2eou-MqnFjXoNFphoFJRFK7fdF7ZyadMQPAYsrD3X5qldaY9IrPkXDrnZPs1gTiToHZC3ul5RBx1fHAUsB3m3Te-gemb_rH_X6MWCSyuq2WEutZOZheGr7BhHCEL6VqKzF_79i84NWrU5XMNsabwOWZFJox78H35mTSs0uJod7nBsbFqH1CyiZhOFSBpuXSp2F_gftZyGQ=w461-h947-no

I'll probably swap my spare wheel for this one, or just powdercoat it again.
iMjbY967WJeMK7mCj8ksQIzmi4Cq20odTz0qgsrasnS-nDMEnLJ5IVPuLkq9d0E53WZs33rGY6boaOBZldDTFVkKNp_eEwkgjf7yxJh8M2lPDCjZoG2CBtRuLkaAItJ_cdiEr9mrbRFXGeO-GTEUVpkuYYC-b9k-JF8fbuAiGk9nPrwm_UQ8yNQ6MwK3vqqz4CANhlEsMYsruJ6IDkNg62KCoGaLs_3LvxbexUsO8seBb36DIC1jOFZzs0BKCZtpnNUau22SyJVQ1WVQBzRQGt1FaBR5Qb89g05xYWnzBB5a_25BC3UbVMT-Fvu63xudtE5DEZ1vAa9iwVRUDEmZEUaSYIryt7aFiQ-UpmuSzeD0UA-BhPYv5j5Ui8qyIuqY9mmM5fTWh-nj7csx5mkn83-d2FY3phQhnbIzWI4DVcLHlShO3YIlzqyrbfBCyfJgehtuHZfFw9VTlcXwYF-gQuHiKnpi0x_6in1ESncJV8-LXZYO2W8SQWS6WrEL8mMDzVKb2YP5j7rDkBzl1QH6rsh-PWFa0TGD1XU8PVgzCfVHikDH0_E9Q0KkHmNDb6civnhs6TXgHKh8ni_7zn2oEqKxOFae5a3mF9kLj_dUtyTwywCuE6owhJUlYmMs7G2n_BA1kpmCXag9gM0txHlGgQ22d7CN27VX=w1920-h934-no

Rustoleum is fine for the LCA. Ive painted mine a few times.

Yep, Rustoleum is the answer, I would coat it with a couple layers of clear coat (matte) also. For whatever reason, clear coat really seems to make spray paint hold up way better in the long run... I am sure there is a scientific reason but that has been my experience.

Driving up a rocky road into the sun. Front tire went around this massive boulder and back tire ran into it. Couldn't drive over it so I backed up and slammed my driver's LCA into the boulder. Later that day, I failed to clear my drivers front tire from another massive boulder and ended up moving it up and out of the earth with my wheel.

Does anyone have any suggestions for painting the LCA to protect from rust? I was thinking a couple coats of flat black rust-oleum.

Cd3qj7DXa17OQUnc5tr0gUq5oV0GshhedntHZTLRpVsJhVbHKyw1tRnMAYYgsc4Rlng_AYalazAky2FLElU2Yo4WlR5yE3eTQc-IATKb-cpYvA_3lB0ierCLbMnOHX8dXJO6_fBm9i9KLL7ssXzOvWJZ16ScMBb2JIhXfKllOGUSOkUlX7x3qaj1jm3jX-PDiJHB8c0_P1f3UxXkugPjhw75BZHd1lvJLlvR19pVzvzusvXLT685aLA-PGuCsw0jpeFg08IhhU0YfCqE90O-XyL6YG4YDs9MYURZPSV4lGrh7K5i5HKR4S7FaDar5WNsq_j1p4OfvxXhdTHPLNY5cNvSB2ATwD-aLMIukHvmVnqkrO7isQOH1HVf5CHIB2elFqWKzO6kfrjxrUEesz4YIUX6GdKhdweZX2DzAuadqYxjFFd8r3_qUOr6ljLxcJ7Lrmi-P5ukQWsfzd5_O9Xy7-IBmA0Bzc2f8Xwd2N7vMj45bsqJj5Yoh3_D4hKlxvFRRovsEEw1kXUDj9Y_Z_CcCdP84ns8cr1ovVhJhmgz4G7X8Z0OzjcB3J9f8xqXwYUiAaMYtHUNKzu5jpVUP1KrjbZyRkqEJbYD6YDaBSFqluKe4PT8SRpROpkj7QNTTYFKjCsaAiY1L-0fJ0tJZn9-pMUqdii2Ma6l=w461-h947-no
O-rNIaqNB1g6djrxaISNIdB_6UlTZ9PhuJKW-WKALFOmmNBcTh-eIStXe-iikrGxV--vI-5uQfS7Ofihui2hkGAmLeZMNZ41P2KRY5iatheedlx9P8dzvYs2b_mem8sh0OBIAbOZDex4mjkWggEIRfhVyAwfVQGixxh4HxDSWeJQ61cpOC0Z1Sj5wilRbvkV51cCmotnlU2Ks66VsAws4BMgketCv0aZr6nNowNyygPB0BUIC42dNVBpb8gMFeLojCc1ayIcImxSQNx2l3iUoYTKJKi2S0jUwZ2UbHA9nNt6vkkZJ53gz2qZJudaA8dmxNIJQdFReXD3Vlb-BxGK3fAH33NsiQ1mBRA2ECSrO1RoClaenSjoRNqqYYMH-mfyN_5l52dLo-T6xFF2j4mDjfhD9MTB6Aiv77BDuSjOh_9nTxvOlzAhRnI0VV6H6u1IvKXVzYSJGFanEktHgMUlS-2eou-MqnFjXoNFphoFJRFK7fdF7ZyadMQPAYsrD3X5qldaY9IrPkXDrnZPs1gTiToHZC3ul5RBx1fHAUsB3m3Te-gemb_rH_X6MWCSyuq2WEutZOZheGr7BhHCEL6VqKzF_79i84NWrU5XMNsabwOWZFJox78H35mTSs0uJod7nBsbFqH1CyiZhOFSBpuXSp2F_gftZyGQ=w461-h947-no

I'll probably swap my spare wheel for this one, or just powdercoat it again.
iMjbY967WJeMK7mCj8ksQIzmi4Cq20odTz0qgsrasnS-nDMEnLJ5IVPuLkq9d0E53WZs33rGY6boaOBZldDTFVkKNp_eEwkgjf7yxJh8M2lPDCjZoG2CBtRuLkaAItJ_cdiEr9mrbRFXGeO-GTEUVpkuYYC-b9k-JF8fbuAiGk9nPrwm_UQ8yNQ6MwK3vqqz4CANhlEsMYsruJ6IDkNg62KCoGaLs_3LvxbexUsO8seBb36DIC1jOFZzs0BKCZtpnNUau22SyJVQ1WVQBzRQGt1FaBR5Qb89g05xYWnzBB5a_25BC3UbVMT-Fvu63xudtE5DEZ1vAa9iwVRUDEmZEUaSYIryt7aFiQ-UpmuSzeD0UA-BhPYv5j5Ui8qyIuqY9mmM5fTWh-nj7csx5mkn83-d2FY3phQhnbIzWI4DVcLHlShO3YIlzqyrbfBCyfJgehtuHZfFw9VTlcXwYF-gQuHiKnpi0x_6in1ESncJV8-LXZYO2W8SQWS6WrEL8mMDzVKb2YP5j7rDkBzl1QH6rsh-PWFa0TGD1XU8PVgzCfVHikDH0_E9Q0KkHmNDb6civnhs6TXgHKh8ni_7zn2oEqKxOFae5a3mF9kLj_dUtyTwywCuE6owhJUlYmMs7G2n_BA1kpmCXag9gM0txHlGgQ22d7CN27VX=w1920-h934-no

There is so much rustoleum under my truck that I’ve lost track of where.... Quick, easy & works without having to add much.

Last edited:
Wow!
Sooo ripped up.
That’s a mess! So ripped... High speed? Or...?

Hopefully no other damage to you or your truck...?

No other damage at all. We were driving the trail roads of Ouachita National Forest when the flat happened. This happened about 8-9 miles from the camp ground....

@Markuson you've said it before, but I paid the price because I didn't listen. I had the locks on but didn't have the key for the set. I had the dang rock warrior key and not the current set. This prevented me from pulling the shredded tire off. So.... I had to drive those 9 miles on the trashed tire. We had to tow the truck to Hot Spring and have the dealership take the lock off and replace the tire.

Good times were not had.. haha

No other damage at all. We were driving the trail roads of Ouachita National Forest when the flat happened. This happened about 8-9 miles from the camp ground....

@Markuson you've said it before, but I paid the price because I didn't listen. I had the locks on but didn't have the key for the set. I had the dang rock warrior key and not the current set. This prevented me from pulling the shredded tire off. So.... I had to drive those 9 miles on the trashed tire. We had to tow the truck to Hot Spring and have the dealership take the lock off and replace the tire.

Good times were not had.. haha

I swapped out all my locks after my last incident with my spacer. I'd rather take my chances with it being on blocks than 9 miles+ from cell service etc.

I swapped out all my locks after my last incident with my spacer. I'd rather take my chances with it being on blocks than 9 miles+ from cell service etc.

Ya, wheel locks are a menace.
First thing I did with RWs was order extra lug nuts to dump locks, plus an extra spline adapter.

Nice thing about security & Rock Warriors is that few wheel thieves drive around with the correct spline adapter handy. Many tire shops don’t even have them on hand...so it’s pretty effective as a quasi wheel-lock already.

Last edited:
Nice thing about security & Rock Warriors is that few wheel thieves drive around with the correct alpine adapter handy. Many tire shops don’t even have them on hand...so it’s pretty effective as a quasi wheel-lock already.

Good point, I didn't really even consider that.

"Wheeling" down a 4 lane divided highway at maybe 40mph. Impact and sound like a gunshot. Something must have been "shot" by another vehicle right into my passenger rear door. A couple of nice dents, right down to bare metal. Ugh.

IMG_1393.jpeg
IMG_1394.jpeg
IMG_1394.jpeg

A friend and I ran the WA BDR last week from North to South. Didn't take a ton of pics, but when we got out of the fog for a minute and snapped a pic on Chumstick Mountain I realized I've been driving a mail truck!
chumstick.jpeg

Didn't you notice its little .... ? Let's zoom in:
dangler.jpeg

That's actually the sway bar link [4 below]. No idea if the bushing disintegrated or just deteriorated enough that the top nut worked loose. Anyway, not a fun thing to lose mid trip. We scavenged a nut from the front bumper to hold it up out of the way, but the sway bar wasn't going to do much without being tightened with the bushing. Happily I did have a set of hex sockets with my trail tools to loosen the KDSS valves and actually move the arm back into place.

parts_diagram.jpeg

Matt at Town Toyota in Wenatchee was helpful in finding a bushing roughly the right size - something from a Tundra front end and not a ton of $$ - as the nearest correct part was in CA. After rolling by right at closing time to pick it up, we headed to camp to put it on. Of course the new bushing was way too short. Just to get things back together in a slightly better state, we used a hammer to re-purpose some extra tent stakes to take up the slack😂
repair_sm.JPEG

It actually held pretty well but we did stop in town for some washers in the morning. I've got the right part ordered, but I'm happy the makeshift job got us through the rest of the trip.

Fun times!

Also, the wet fall weather seems to be back in force, reminding us how powerful the water can be. This was way up in the Gifford-Pinchot NF looking for a good dirtbag camp spot. We probably could have made it by fine if we took out a tree or two for vertical clearance, but it would've been sketchy, and I didn't trust any of the small trees in shallow, wet, sandy soil to hold a good safety line so we turned around. Good choice, because the bridge over a small river at the end of that road was washed out too (and completely impassable)!
washout.JPEG

Nice thing about security & Rock Warriors is that few wheel thieves drive around with the correct spline adapter handy. Many tire shops don’t even have them on hand...so it’s pretty effective as a quasi wheel-lock already.

I was once in a similar situation (no key for the wheel log-nut lock) at a shop. They pulled out some little universal adapter thingy, bolted it into an impact, and ripped my log-nut off in about 2 seconds flat. It wasn't a spline adapter to a specific wheel, but rather something completely universal.

They also told me that tool works for every lug-nut lock out there, is common place, and is present in the toolbox of every single wheel thief.

I haven't bothered with lug-nut locks since (still have a set on the LX only because it came with them and I haven't gotten around to replacing them with normal lug nuts).

@edwardg Nice to see you made it up there. It's a shame about the sway bar and the impassable road. Still highly jealous of your trip!

@edwardg Nice to see you made it up there. It's a shame about the sway bar and the impassable road. Still highly jealous of your trip!
It's definitely recommended - sections 2 and 6 were the highlights for me. Even saw a moose on the road up north! Hope Nebraska is treating you well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom