Post up what you pedal (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

R.I.P. my SOK.....
It got springy right after a dowhill furthest from the TH....:meh:

1623601763634.png
1623601803413.png

My 1977 Schwinn Competition Scrambler. No wonder I am addicted to Land Cruisers. Dragged it out of a secured bunker during Covid and started a slow and tedious restoration. Not sure about the red pads so probably look for a black set. Finally found a guy who reproduced the decals for me (including the dealer decal) as this version of the Scrambler was quite rare. One of the last US built hand made Chrome moly frames. I treated it like a rare jewell as a kid so it is in very nice condition. Storage took its toll on the painted bits and water decals. Easy fixes. Not sure what to doo with it as my wife hated the idea of hanging it from the ceiling in the house.

RKTINC

0DDBF679-7A4B-4F2C-846D-053CA39CD6ED.jpeg

DCF004E1-E839-456F-9C1A-752C6329C01F.jpeg

Just picked this up off of Craigslist for really cheap. Was just going to use for parts but the bike is in good shape so might just turn it into a 650b basher.
I just did that with a 2nd-gen Scalpel. If there's enough room in the rear, definitely do it. The Scalpel is an absolute rocket with the 27.5, lefty, and 1x setup, and just sold it to a buddy (I may regret that...).

I'll post up some picks of my harem in a bit.

From right to left:

my son’s Talon
my old Sorento-turned-semi-beach cruiser for my wife
2012 Trance that was gifted to me about a month ago

DF2B986D-F00E-4129-A32A-B978C511B8C4.jpeg

Brakes were the last part on my Kona process 134 rebuild. Gave up on the Code RSCs I ordered last winter and found some new XT 8120’s. Road with the kids today.

Build since last fall: pike ultimate fork, Caine creek DB shock, rebuilt my DT 240 hubs onto Lightbike carbon rims, wolf tooth 1x chainring conversion, shimano XT 12 speed shift leaver and rear derailleur, converted my rear hub from Shimano 11sp to Sram XD (since I couldn’t get a micro-spline for non boost 240), SRAM X01 eagle chain and cassette, XT rotors, XT pedals, and DHF 4c 2.5 front tire and ardent 2.4 rear tire.

should be good for another 6-7 years.

DD92DDDC-0293-4DDD-A284-A38622CD9191.jpeg

E812220C-FD08-4464-A42C-8582E9A9183F.jpeg

How do you like the XT's versus the Codes? I can't stand my Guide R's. I'm a Shimano guy and am thinking of getting the 4 piston XT's.

I had
How do you like the XT's versus the Codes? I can't stand my Guide R's. I'm a Shimano guy and am thinking of getting the 4 piston XT's.
I’ve mostly ridden Shimano hydraulic brakes over the last 15 years (except Hayes on my DH bikes). I greatly prefer the Shimano to SRAM. The feel is different between the two but if you get used to one neither is necessarily bad. My wife and both kids were running Shimano I was the only one with SRAM. Only reason I was on SRAM and getting another set is I have access to a large discount on SRAM parts.

the 2 main reasons I prefer Shimano:
fist, with the sram brakes I feel like I need to bleed/flush them all the time. Every 4 to 6 weeks I feel would change and get spongy and I would need to bleed/flush op them. With my kids who race ultra and Enduro and ride almost every day I only have to bleed their Shimano brakes maybe twice a season. Second, given the need for frequent bleed/flush and Shimano mineral oil is much easier to deal with then Sram DOT it’s a no brainer.

so far they definitely feel like the best Shimano Brakes I’ve ever had, we did 2k’ up and down over 12 miles, tons of power, plenty of control, no fade. Just a heads up there is almost no difference between SLX, XT, and XTR brakes. If it wasn’t for the major scarcity bike parts right now I would have done SLX and bought an extra set of metallic pads and still saved $50-$75 over what these cost.

Last edited:
Just got this lightly used but new to me Transition Spur
Nice! I'm thinking the Spur is the next on my list. Just finished this years bike so maybe next year.

Here is this year's bike.

5iLls1Nl.jpg

@jlm43 that’s gorgeous, what is it? Salsa?

Also @hudd07 I ride a Sentinel and a Spur would be the perfect compliment for the local trails I ride (Annadel). Yours looks clean!

It was “used” but I can’t imagine guy really ever rode it. Gotten 4 rides on it now and love the Spur. Haven’t ridden Annadel but I’m from Rohnert Park originally so I’m familiar with trails just didn’t ride when I lived there. Tons of trails out here in South Bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom