Registry Post Pics Of Your Modded 7x Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As far as a BRAND NEW crate with everything you need, $9,000 is nothing. Buy a brand new 1HZ and all the peripherals (plus high alt compensator) and THEN turbo it for a measly 8psi, and you're in way deeper than $9k... then you've got to worry about it blowing as the 1HZ don't like boost.

I'm more than happy to share my experiences of the R2.8.

It's been a game-changer and when paired with the right gearing, pushes this ol' brick just fine. I can go 85mph on the freeway, 5th gear up mountain passes and get 16mpg or take it slow and go 70mph and get 30 mpg. We geared the old girl with 3.7 and I'm running a mild tune. EGTs run around 900-1050 at highway speeds and the hottest it's gotten was 205º water temps driving through the Mojave last week when it was 110º outside.

As for longevity. Who knows. But if I can get 10 years without any major hiccups, it'll be a welcomed change after dealing with 25+ year old Toyota diesels for the past decade.
Good feedback, thanks. Didn't you have a 12ht in your troopy? What other engines?

Specs and more on my instagram @sirluisbarrera

BCA3D862-12DD-4F55-9E1C-CA7E93DC935B.jpeg

3 very modded 70 series out in the Whirinaki Forest.

i-KKVFgvB-XL.jpg

Cheers
Clint

Not seeing much forest! Looks like BC Canada, haha. Good to know we're all doing our best for nature and climate change!!

Sweet picture; love your truck.

Not seeing much forest! Looks like BC Canada, haha. Good to know we're all doing our best for nature and climate change!!

It's clean, green New Zealand, home of the Refir :) Fastest growing radiata pine for export. Beautiful country but don't let the tourism ad campaigns fool you, rape of the land for sure.

But yeah, love the photos, and cruiser pics from the antipodes

It does look a bit desolate there! The area is a mix of exotic plantation forest - we were in a freshly cut over area above that will soon be re-planted - & lots of protected ancient native forest. There is no more clear felling of indigenous forests in NZ these days. Our favorite trails in the area are the old roads built just before the native logging was stopped so they go through some awesome forest, this is just around the corner from the wasteland above. (sorry about the Landrover! ...but it shows the trail & big trees well)

i-89fT4HW-M.jpg

It does look a bit desolate there! The area is a mix of exotic plantation forest - we were in a freshly cut over area above that will soon be re-planted - & lots of protected ancient native forest. There is no more clear felling of indigenous forests in NZ these days. Our favorite trails in the area are the old roads built just before the native logging was stopped so they go through some awesome forest, this is just around the corner from the wasteland above. (sorry about the Landrover! ...but it shows the trail & big trees well)

i-89fT4HW-M.jpg

We have lots of this in BC:
IMG_20201212_112923388_HDR.jpg

And a little bit of this left:

IMG_20210114_131128826_HDR.jpg

Good feedback, thanks. Didn't you have a 12ht in your troopy? What other engines?

Yep. Blew it when I filled up with water-contaminated diesel. The quotes I got to rebuild the 12HT were exorbitant and it wasn't that much more to just drop a new R2.8 in there. I've had two 12HT engines (one in a HJ61 and one in my HJ75) and a 1HDT in an HDJ81. All of the 25+ year old Toyota engines were constant work/upkeep and the 12HT proved to be problematic tracking down parts/components, plus no one here in NM would work on it. The R2.8 is under warranty and any Cummins shop will work on it. My local mechanic specializes in small displacement diesels and he's been really impressed with the R2.8.

86 24v
3b...soon to be 3b-t

IMG_20220306_125440[1].jpg

IMG_20220711_173043[1].jpg

Yep. Blew it when I filled up with water-contaminated diesel. The quotes I got to rebuild the 12HT were exorbitant and it wasn't that much more to just drop a new R2.8 in there. I've had two 12HT engines (one in a HJ61 and one in my HJ75) and a 1HDT in an HDJ81. All of the 25+ year old Toyota engines were constant work/upkeep and the 12HT proved to be problematic tracking down parts/components, plus no one here in NM would work on it. The R2.8 is under warranty and any Cummins shop will work on it. My local mechanic specializes in small displacement diesels and he's been really impressed with the R2.8.
ha ha! this story put the puzzle together, the bike world and land cruiser world collide ( they seem to be pretty close together already anyways)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom