Pop-Up Camper Repair Help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
I found a sweet old Rockwood 1460 pop-up camper from the early '80's, (I think it is a 1982 or 1983).

There is something wrong with the mechanism to raise and lower the top. When I try to raise the top, the rear and the front are not synchronized. They raise at different heights - the front raises higher than the rear. When I lower the top, the rear goes down all the way, but the front will not lower all the way. :frown: It stays up a few inches from being able to be latched in place.

I found a manual online (for a 1984) and it had some instructions on what to do if the mechanism has been "over-cranked". I followed these instructions, but they did not solve the problem. :frown: The instructions go on to say that if this does not work, contact the dealer :eek:

Does anyone have any experience with these? Know how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

No experience, but can you describe the mechanism, or post photos. If you can get underneath and post photos where the operating parts come together they may help for a more detailed plan for fixing. All of them are quite simple in operation.

My guess is you have cables that slipped in their end holders or fell off their pulleys, or compression springs with failed support tubes. From your description I'd expect cables that fell off pulleys.

Edit: Could be pulleys that disintegrated too. That would also cause a uniform shortening in length of the cable paths.

Last edited:
Here is a composite view of the lift mechanism, I think I might try to break this down into smaller images (bigger view):
Capture.JPG

A new lift mechanism I hadn't encountered before. Now to dissect it.

OK, it is a spring tube lift system, but uses a roller chain drive system to move the springs. The previous spring tube lift designs that I've looked at used a screw shaft to move the spring tubes.

Possibly one of the roller chain drives has slipped. Lack of maintenance on roller chains can make them stiff, and a stiff unyielding section going around a drive cog could easily jump and slip and then be a few off.

I see in the rod that connects the front and back lift mechanisms there looks to be a sheer pin between two parts of the rod. (See post#6, third drawing, you can see the hex head on the rod where it changes size. Likely a rod and pipe.) That sheer pin could be removed, the front and rear lifts re-aligned, the sheer pin reinstalled. In order to get the sheer pin out you may have to lift the end of the top that isn't going down fully to take the load off the sheer pin.

Okay, that makes some sense!
I will have to get the top all/most of the way up as that joint connecting the two sections is in the middle of the camper, which will require me to set the stove/sink section before I can get to it.

Question: best resource for buying replacement parts?

A sheer pin is usually a standard bolt. Only thing is it may be grade 5 or grade 8, but I don't see anything in this design that would require that strong of one.

The main issue is raising the top, and supporting it. When that sheer pin is out, one end will likely be totally unsupported.

I think BOGO is right on track.

Mine was a cable/winch lift system. The cables were out of sync and quite worn and a couple rollers were damaged. I called the factory, Starcraft in my case, and they still had parts for my 1969 trailer. I ordered them, bought new cables and a huge swager and rebuilt the system. Once the cables were adjusted so the timing was right all was good.

Is the manufacture still in business? Try them first then start an internet search.

:cheers:

It's a tool used to crimp cable ends like the eyes. Look up "swaging tool".

From the diagrams it looks like your pop-up camper uses roller chains and springs to lift the top. Some systems use cables and pulleys.

Hey. Check out popupexplorer.com. Lots of good info there on questions like this.

I see in the rod that connects the front and back lift mechanisms there looks to be a sheer pin between two parts of the rod. (See post#6, third drawing, you can see the hex head on the rod where it changes size. Likely a rod and pipe.) That sheer pin could be removed, the front and rear lifts re-aligned, the sheer pin reinstalled. In order to get the sheer pin out you may have to lift the end of the top that isn't going down fully to take the load off the sheer pin.

Looking these components over again, I see that there are 3 "Sprocket Roll Pins" in use in both the front and rear chain drive mechanism.

My guess is that these are the shear pins desinged to protect the system from an overload. The "fuse" of the system.

It looks like if they were to shear, then you could very easiy seperate the front lift from the rear lift mechanism. My guess is that if my issue is with the front not going down all the way, that the shear would have occured with one of the roll pins (17) inthe front mechanism.

Now I can't wait to get out to where the camper is and check this out.

I guess I could see if I can buy replacement pins first...
Pop-Up Front Chain Drive.jpg

i dont have knowledge of this system either, but looking at the pics it looks like you've got a handle on it. in any event i bet once you get a look at it it'll be pretty easy to figure out and fix.

rusty_tlc said:
^^^This
Once you tear something like this apart it is usually self explanatory.

Agreed, I was just looking for a little pre-tear down hand-holding in case anyone had already "been there done that, here are the pics".

I have the camper stored away from home, so I want to try and get the pieces to fix it up front, so I can show up, fix it, and be done. I know, wishful thinking, eh?

you may not need any parts, in the pics it looks like a spring acts as a tensioner for the chain, maybe all that happened was the spring came off and the chain slipped a tooth or two.

maybe get a roll pin assortment to take with you, but my money is on the spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom