Poll: which Land Cruiser should I sell? (1 Viewer)

Which Land Cruiser(s) should I sell?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mcgaskins

SILVER Star
Threads
I am facing a bit of a conundrum. I somehow ended up with too many vehicles during covid - my wife thinks 6 cars for someone who doesn't commute or drive anywhere except to go wheeling or road trips is too many. I've already sold the Sprinter and another vehicle, so now I have to figure out which Land Cruiser to sell 🥹 My wife already said her EV isn't going anywhere which is unfortunate because she looks great behind the wheel of a Cruiser! She said something about $80 fill ups every 5 days or something like that, but I was too busy ordering parts during the last 20% off sale 😆

Option 1 is the fully built 2013 documented here. I bought it with 99k miles on it 3.5 years ago and over the last 20k miles have added a full build including an ARB rear locker and tons of maintenance to ensure it’s reliable. I used it extensively as a scouting and support vehicle when I worked in special projects at Rivian and led many trips with this 200 and prototype R1Ts. Of course it’s also been a staple at Cruise Moab and LCDC, so I have a lot of fond memories with it. It’s also dialed and has new OEM headlights, grill and radar sensor Toyota hat thing to make it look fresh.

June 2021

AIL4fc96wSxJH4gu6u4m6CSxPSO-w8T1FXBRM5tj3DSIC5fIetSgx7zLb4idKT4Wbw7MOgmMSFxJy8Z4cax2fmvfC5W-joZN6FZVSI14KgbmPEhWdHFsRwf3z3Rf2Mc56aO61q1tnJ9U82Isz4JqtQaGgYeCig=w1535-h1152-s-no

June 2022

AIL4fc8d9mUI-f9JdfDW36zUMwjm0UBfD-JpmleRYE_KkY8p2lZDzDeMAX4haEt6xOkz8g69oKPAkdhSU7aK7M6M9AV7aEowRp0rqYT7krah_hq75MB_jgUzaekhQHidLDP3Es-2NUtCzCQ5n5IP6QipYN2LoQ=w1912-h1075-s-no

AIL4fc8WV96TgxzbBRDwzoFQ_jeSHZbTN1P1X_JohUCL3m07yzztsHeqqAR1OOBOkFoUqkmVxsdb3VUIWdp58YkuVJcmf1q6KCD-bENv2uRo2816jeA4XMVTqBiBor22EhFR4AcyoArA5iR5Z-NVfKLPTLc8Tw=w1535-h1152-s-no

Option 2 is our bone stock 2008 (except for KO2s) I picked up 3 years ago because it was covid, and I was bored and wanted to build another truck :). I spent the first 6 months stockpiling nearly $10k in parts to do a base spec/UN kinda look build, but my wife used it for skiing and begged me not to change it at all because it was the first stock Cruiser we ever had. I sold most of the parts and the only changes I made were stripping the limo tint and running boards to give it that base spec look. I also did fresh headlights, and thanks to a thief it has $6k worth of new catalytic convertors and O2 sensors. I absolutely love the 08 for the clear glass, and I think it looks like a poor man’s Heritage Edition with the smooth doors and no running boards. This one also has a phone book stack of dealer service records and shocks people to learn it has 199k on it.

The day it arrived in 2020 - with tint

AIL4fc_mOOluKYzYvenUnWrTOgn5GC2etgdxTx5q9IfYUbu8XSZz-1PY9V24xnb_TubemQK1wQXRcIAUMgO8Ys0GP41LTb6q9XYR6u4KOwigdpSc7InbZtur9rbiqD1HO5-BkSkB9OOpuQ-kdobTETUeU_jwxA=w1535-h1152-s-no

Tonight's sunset

AIL4fc8czb5BaQnuLPfbrqP_u-EC_v1y_KJJn1xKADrjxZvB3QWjWMEB1qtnIDKXcJO79WNbccLM9pv3A5LLwy-1hVbjCtzWxgFHs_5MYQwlq3ABFx0TxYDoOOL4z64V8hbnU5DeVrBoD5r-nVb6HSW4lVNgqw=w1535-h1152-s-no

I know it sounds crazy, but the clear glass is my fav feature on any modern Land Cruiser

AIL4fc84C2l2DiSuEiW0Y857RCzhzz-oMcJUhLaPnswuMItpowHA43taIrmgyBYCURWbg3sKXBBh9MC4uAVOWx6BkLpskUoCun0CYi3_WNvcTpADxk1GdJP6cIxte4uG-1JHw5GPGu_2gQZGAhNw7COb_2d5bA=w1912-h1075-s-no

Option 3 is our bone stock (except for KO2s) 1997 80 series that is triple locked and super cool with no roof rack and no running boards. I have always wanted an 80 and bought this one a couple months ago because it was well documented and rust free, but there is one glaring issue I’m struggling with - it’s slow. Like really slow, especially after being used to 200s and Rivians. I love the look and enjoy driving it, but it will be more of a novelty and cruise around town kinda vehicle.

Unfortunately I don't have many photos of this one yet - was waiting until I replace the last of the mouldings and trim pieces before the glam shots

AIL4fc9HQVqaZh5zQiUHQ0KDiyXIw_OaEczZ3yy8wWrOGBRhDEDZZJTSQKQBAMw8fx5dRyHX604vEOUkWztP_oM6cyD529KdofFHOihV0HByLZdc3CRkfnt48lYVSNNMODfexeKVj7PDyYgxEY_MYMSeSYXRQg=w2048-h1152-s-no

AIL4fc-rWNOPWFjTq8Oxf3_7dm1XFRYvXG-Rlfp2qdddtD0xafTirxbHddasmY2d9p95ngQSBdgFCO6MazO3UNcuxkA_7xosvQB2T48zXBr12vCI0r430RFulADuw53BMID0jdTvuN3MmkuPKf5RSXuuQxay2w=w1350-h1152-s-no

If you’ve seen my threads in the past, you may have noticed I absolutely love the build portion of the ownership journey. The only “downside” to the 2013 is it’s totally dialed and doesn’t really need anything else. My wife recently picked up a new car she loves so much she has zero desire to ever get in the 2008 again, so if I sold the 2013, I could build the 2008. I have some interesting mods in mind for this one if I ended up going this route that would be a first for a US build. I’ve already replaced the belt trim and some other little odds and ends on the 80, so I’m sure it will always keep me busy keeping it nice and well maintained. It’s also likely the least valuable and would unlock the least capital for my next big project, so it probably makes the most sense to sell one of the 200s.

I’ve rambled long enough - if you were in my shoes, which would you sell?

That is a tough decision my friend. What’s the rust rating on each of your rigs? Also, what’s the mileage?

Selling any Land Cruiser usually comes with deep regret afterwards. So I wouldn’t take it lightly.

Am I crazy to recommend selling the 2013 and 2008 and stepping into a 16+? I am loving the 16+ where I swapped the wood steering wheel with a factory heated (fully wrapped) leather steering wheel. It really is a game changer.

80 should stay since those are really tough to
find mint anniversary edition 80’s

Last edited:
Oh sorry, I see the mileage on your 200’s.

That does not make it any easier haha.

To take a step back, are you wanting to have fun building a new stock rig from scratch? Do you mind having a heavily modified cruiser as your daily?

I voted for the stock 200 to be sold, even though I secretly want a triple locked 80 series.

Last edited:
You are of too many minds. I see you're itching for building something. But what you have for building will not make happy the other minds of yours.
How about you build the 80 as I see plenty of work to do there if you really want to do one-of-a-kind build and it will probably be the one requiring the most maintenance to keep your wrenching itch scratched. I'm not familiar at all with the 80's modifications although it was the first LC I really liked back in 96. Isn't there any way to get more power out of that? Form my quick search in the 80 forum here it looks like there are plenty of options, even going crazy big in power with an engine swap.

So, if the 80 stays, then what goes? Looks like you are bored of the '13 LC cause you just drive it. Maybe sell that as you also get the most money and built the '08 that is virgin. Or don't and keep it stock and put the money from '13 into the monster engine swap in the 80.

The above will keep you busy for the next 1.5 years :)

I personally would sell the 2008 stock 200. But it sounds like you get more joy from a new build than most other people do, to the point that the subtext of your post is almost that of wishing we all vote for you to sell the fully built 2013 so you have an excuse to get back to building from scratch. So yes, you have permission to do that as long as you post about it on the forum 😁

It seems silly to sell the 2013 and then build the 2008. The 2013 is already where you want the 2008 to be. Sell the 2008.

A bone stock 80 is a rare find these days. It would almost be a shame to build it up at this point. And unless you are rock crawling I don’t see what use the 80 will get that your 2013 can’t do better. If you like driving the 80, keep it as is. If you’re hell bent on having a project, sell the 2008 and the 80 and go buy an old 40, 55, or 60 that needs work.

If you keep the 08 you’ll just get itchy again when it’s done. The only solution there is find something else to occupy that part of your brain.

If you really want a build, drop a LS into the 80. Mine was done in my driveway and absolutely bad ass. Yes there is some merit in keeping the 1FZ.. but it’s gonna be slow. If wits end wasn’t nuclear waste to do business with I’d say do a turbo kit but.. you’d never see those parts or your money back.

Every time I have sold an 80, I regret it. I’m sure I’ll be back in one sometime soon, but my 40 has been a great substitute “novelty” vehicle that has its own attributes (that I’m sure I’ll miss when I sell). Best option for me is a modern do it all DD Toyota (now a 200, likely selling my previous DD gx460) combined with a classic (40, 60, 80, etc.), so long as the wife continues to grant permission.

Unless you want to do something drastically different with your 2008 build than you did with the 2013, I'd sell the 2008. The 2013 has a few more creature comforts, and it's already built. If you're bored use your free time and $ to build the 80.

If you just need space, you're welcome to "store" your 80 at my place. I'm sure Gabe would be happy to drive it occasionally to keep it running. :)

You could sell the stock 200 with clear glass to someone who loves it, like me lol
On the Tacoma forum, we have a "povery spec club." I have a very rare 4 door, literally no tach, no sliding rear windows, etc. Factory UN spec in USA.

We should have a "200 clear glass club" then me and you can be members :rofl:

I'd sell the stock 2008 without a doubt. Pretty straightforward decision in my mind. Or tell your wife the Cruisers aren't going anywhere lol

Whatever you decide, GLWS!

List all three for a high price and see what bites you get. Sell the truck that gets you the best return on investment...

Sell the 80. Its too slow for you

I specifically love fish bowl clear glass. Love my 08 200 with the no tint.

Looking forward to your UN spec 08 build. You like building it will keep you happy
i'm with this guy ^^

I don't have an opinion on which one to sell but I do have an opinion on which 1 to keep, that would be the 2008. I have a soft spot for the 08 (and some 09s) with the clear glass. Those are rare and probably the most basic of the 200s in the US.

In your shoes, I'd sell the stock 200.

HOWEVER, if you sell the 80, please give me a heads up or post it on Rising Sun--I'm local and considering either buying another 80 or going full bore build on my LX570. Once I get gears and lockers for the LX, the 80 budget will no longer exist :hillbilly:

If you keep the 08 you’ll just get itchy again when it’s done. The only solution there is find something else to occupy that part of your brain.

If you really want a build, drop a LS into the 80. Mine was done in my driveway and absolutely bad ass. Yes there is some merit in keeping the 1FZ.. but it’s gonna be slow. If wits end wasn’t nuclear waste to do business with I’d say do a turbo kit but.. you’d never see those parts or your money back.

You can always DIY turbo the 80 if you're looking for a project. If a dolt like me can do it, anyone can. Much cheaper than the Wits' End kit too.

Last edited:
200s under 100k miles will be more and more difficult to find. Keep the built 2013. Sell the 08- the 80 will be perfect for you to tinker/billed, as it will be a little more needy than the 08.

But I am also here to watch you build the 2008

Hard to say which to sell but maybe via process of elimination...

The 2013 in my mind is a keeper as it's your current go to and capable rig. Tons of experiences, pictures, and memories with this one. None of the others can fill that roll in stock form and if you sold it now, would put a pause on trips that would require its capability. Also sounds like it's setup just the way you like as it's been informed by previous builds, and you wouldn't necessarily deviate from that recipe if you were to re-build the '08? It's a well balanced build that does everything well.

The 80-series is probably special albeit in a more nostalgic way? While some say it's the pinnacle of LCs, I tend to disagree. It might be pinnacle in a small niche of rock crawling, but that requires some great compromises over its already compromised power and drivability. Everything else, including normal off-roading, overlanding, malling, the 200-series is superior for. By far. The 80-series also has small diffs and IMO, the 200-series can easily be built to rival what an 80-series can do even as a rocklander, except for overall size. (I can't wait for the more extreme builds to come to maybe following in @MTKID footsteps.) Your example might be too nice to turn into an extreme crawler and might be worth more stock, but then again no point saving it for the next guy to break into it.

That leaves the '08. IMO, snore, as you already have something better and would make sense to me at least logically for this is the one to go. Unless you were to turn it into that extreme 200-series LC on 40s :smokin: , while having your 2013 serve for more balanced duties.

Fortunately, I don't think any of these 3 examples are depreciating so time is on your side. That 80-series may even be appreciating at a degree that's better than the 200s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom