Poll: which Land Cruiser should I sell? (2 Viewers)

Which Land Cruiser(s) should I sell?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The only reason to keep an 80-series is for its legendary off-road capability. If you're not pinstriping and denting it every weekend, I would get rid of it, especially considering the high demand and thus prices they fetch.

The two 200 series will serve you (no: everyone) better long-term.

A lot of people seem to be missing that if he builds the 08, it'll be different than the 13.. the goal being UN/base build. @mcgaskins can speak up but this seems to exclude 40s and other craziness/compromise some people are bringing up. Also brings up why he's willing to let go of the 13 and start over.. but I again say, will you be satisfied when that's "done"?

You can always DIY turbo the 80 if you're looking for a project. If a dolt like me can do it, anyone can. Much cheaper than the Wits' End kit too.

Great point. Anything needed on the transmission side of things?

After the v8 I never would have sold my 80 if I lived closer to the places I'd wheel it. The 200 is an amazing platform, but between some of the fundamental things about an 80 like the lower weight, factory lockers, SFA, full float rear, dimensions, appearance, fender well clearance.. if actual trails are the objective it is a better option. If the modern direction of "overlanding" is the goal.. which usually includes a couple thousand pounds of accessories which preclude the harder trails, IMO the 200 is better.

To me this is all a gut decision.

A lot of people seem to be missing that if he builds the 08, it'll be different than the 13.. the goal being UN/base build. @mcgaskins can speak up but this seems to exclude 40s and other craziness/compromise some people are bringing up.
Exactly! He mentioned things that haven't been done in the US. Thus it would be amazing to learn from, see, and a fresh new build.

The 80 is never going to satisfy you if it's "too slow" for you and the only real remedy for that (any forced induction isn't going to make it "fast", just less of a dog when towing or going up highway hills) is to v8 swap it. If you aren't willing to do that to a clean 80, then sell it. Keep the wife happy and keep the rig that pleases you most in its current state. Plus, parts availability is spiraling down for 1fz-fe and the 80 in general. Sell it at its most valuable.

Sell the 08, buy a low mile 2016+ cause it's the last of the v8s. Then you'd have one refreshed 200 and your 2013. You can enjoy the '13 on adventures while you build out your '16+ to your liking. Keep the 80, it's an investment and fun to tool around in. I love my 80, but I agree with @TeCKis300 the 200 is a superior adventuremobile, IMO - but that probably depends on the user.

The fact that your wife has allowed you to acquire all these rigs tells me she's pretty cool - seems likely she'll support you in this endeavor.

If you keep the 08 you’ll just get itchy again when it’s done. The only solution there is find something else to occupy that part of your brain.

If you really want a build, drop a LS into the 80. Mine was done in my driveway and absolutely bad ass. Yes there is some merit in keeping the 1FZ.. but it’s gonna be slow. If wits end wasn’t nuclear waste to do business with I’d say do a turbo kit but.. you’d never see those parts or your money back.

I would absolutely love a V8 swapped 80 and actually got close to pulling the trigger on a 2UZ converted pristine example, but the main issue here is emissions. Colorado has become extremely strict and engine swapped vehicles are especially a pain. In fact, the main reason I sold the Sprinter was that it would no longer pass. The worst part about it was that it actually passed for the sniff test but failed due to a faulty ABS module that was totally inconsequential but caused a CEL, and the time and money to invest was too great for it make sense. I detailed the drama in my for sale post and sold to a person who lives in a county without emissions testing.

buy a low mile 2016+ cause it's the last of the v8s. Then you'd have one refreshed 200 and your 2013. build out your '16+ to your liking.
He's had a 16 already ;)

If you DO sell the 08 200, please post some info on your thoughts on the UN spec build - I am very interested in it.

The intent was to be somewhat subtle and decontent it - remove the roof rack and spoiler and have a body shape fill the holes and paint them, add some Middle East style graphics, swap in cloth interior, and do some skinny tall tires with the super goofy looking OEM snorkel. The kinda thing that most people think is ugly if I'm being honest 🤣

Folks all here telling @mcgaskins to get a 16+ 200 as if he hasn’t already had one and built it! 🤣 🤣

Although he hasn’t had a 16+ LX yet. Matt, that’s the only US variety 200 left to try!

Very true - I think a Nori green LX might be my fav 200. Anyone want to trade their Nori for any of my trucks? 😄

Thank you everyone for helping think through the best next move. Logically, I agree with the consensus of selling the 2008, so I'm testing the waters with a craigslist ad to see how it goes. I realize the ask is a bit on the high side for the typical Mud buyer, but I just flipped through the paper copies of receipts from the last 7 years and added up over $15k in dealer invoices 😳 It also has $6,900 worth of new OEM cats and O2 sensors from the recent unfortunate theft, so I feel it will last someone a long time and not have emissions worries from old cats any time soon. If you thought my Mud posts were long, just wait until you see how long my craigslist ads are!

The intent was to be somewhat subtle and decontent it - remove the roof rack and spoiler and have a body shape fill the holes and paint them, add some Middle East style graphics, swap in cloth interior, and do some skinny tall tires with the super goofy looking OEM snorkel. The kinda thing that most people think is ugly if I'm being honest 🤣
My list has:
  • remove roof rack
  • get my door handles and mirrors black
  • grille black
  • skinny tall tires (can't decide wheels - tundra steelies vs the fat 5 spoke) - black or silver
I am in Africa and GCC a lot - so I love those things

My problem is I have a very bad color one (gray)

Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 1.33.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 1.32.45 PM.png

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for helping think through the best next move. Logically, I agree with the consensus of selling the 2008, so I'm testing the waters with a craigslist ad to see how it goes. I realize the ask is a bit on the high side for the typical Mud buyer, but I just flipped through the paper copies of receipts from the last 7 years and added up over $15k in dealer invoices 😳 It also has $6,900 worth of new OEM cats and O2 sensors from the recent unfortunate theft, so I feel it will last someone a long time and not have emissions worries from old cats any time soon. If you thought my Mud posts were long, just wait until you see how long my craigslist ads are!

GLWS I feel this is a great price and not that much of a premium over some 200s for sale with zero maintenance history.

Dang...I love it but not a fan of black interiors...

Oh man. If I could guarantee I'd get what I paid for the LX, I'd run over and buy that this afternoon. Really fair price, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom