• Orion - 4:1 is plenty you greedy bastard

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • Toy-box - another shifter...and Superfly crawl ratio

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • save up for two toy-boxes...or something else crackhead

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJBen

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok, planning ahead here...in the not tooooo distant future...hopefully... :rolleyes: unless something else destroys more dreams...

I need gearing...badly...I still need highway gearing! But I'm sick of speed crawling off road...here's my thoughts...

Orion: 58 :1 low range

Pros: cast iron case, 4:1 low range, replaces factory t-case keeping drivelines stock, no extras, cheapest

Cons: only 4:1 available, would need adapters for other transmissions, still fairly new product

Toy Box: 153:1; 68:1; 28.3

Pros: 4.7:1 low range, doubler....adapter for MANY tranny/transf combos, many choices for low ranges, great product history, added driveline length for front short shaft on 55's,

Cons: $$$ initial cost higher, driveline mods needed, x-brace needed,

Last edited by a moderator:
H41 and Orion, and be done with it...

Good luck!

-Steve

I agree wiyh Poser, go Orion and be done. Twin stick is cool. If you remove the stop from the t/c shifter you get 2wd lo also, and i have'nt needed just front wheel drive yet.

I plan on the toybox when I switch fromt he sm420 to the 465. I like the idea of the cast case but they are proud of it.

This is a tough call indeed!

I think multiple low ranges is cool, and you have all that driveline length just waiting for you...

But the Toybox looks spendy.

Steve has a point about getting a H41 tranny, that would be cool!

"Speed costs money, how slow can you afford to go?"

:D

465/Toybox(2.28)/Orion(4.0) in a 5.29 diffed 40 series running 38.5"s SX's is pretty sweet...( Orange truck)

The option of having a 'normal' low, and a Ridiculow are pretty awsome....I look forward to seeing it in operation in the Hills this weekend...It has worked awsome on the trail rides it has gone on so far...

If you have the cash, go crazy!

Good luck!

-Steve

Ben, You should have let the wife drive and ridden in treeroots 40 with the orion. Just do an orion with the h42 and be done for now :) Nice option about the toybox for you have pleanty of room in the drive line. :)

Poser said:
H41 and Orion, and be done with it...

Good luck!

-Steve

True story
:cheers:

Toxbox because it leaves you the more usable gears but only if you're talking about that pictured 55. If a 40 it's gotta' be Orion with either H42 or better yet H41.

So far...it's all tied up 5 and 5 lol...

It is the 55 in my avatar. The best positive of the toybox will be added driveline length for my front d-shaft. Also just the "plethora" of gears...

hmmm still all up in the air.

420 now: 67.5 : 1 Cheep shouldn't even need Drive shafts

Orion when you cat afford it 115.9 : 1

or 420 toybox split case = sick!

I might go orion sometime, more likly atlas

Don't listen to Nutley, he likes J**ps. :D

I didn't even think about it on the Slaughterhouse run but you are welcome to drive my 40 anytime. I would have let you drive on Holy Cross but you didn't show up :flipoff2:

I almost ran Kelly Flats yesterday....

How about the Ghost Town run next weekend? Are you and the family going to make it?

i'm really leanin towards the toybox...esp when you figure that you can switch in just about any tranny or xfercase and find an adapter for it

here's my dream setup (currently, ha ha):

h41 (4.925:1) to toybox (4.7:1) to stock 3spd case (2.313:1) with 3.73s (for a bit more streetability) = 199.7:1

or the same with 4.11s = 220:1
or with 4.88s = 261.3:1

unless i can find an h41 for cheap, then it looks like h42/toybox/3spd/4.11s = 158.6:1

plus with the toybox, you've got another shifter (gets you cool points with your club) and more ratio flexibility

malphrus

On what grounds do you base these accusations ROOT :confused: :flipoff2:

I still run birfields and an F, both suit me just dandy :D

T case choices

I have one of those rare Marlin gear sets in my TC, something like 3.64:1, behind an SM420. So I have the 105:1 low range gearing, handles most everything slow I want to do.

I wish I had some intermediate low-range gearing, in the 2.2 to 2.7: range, for sand running. I have another 4x4 with a 4:1 low-range xfer ratio and it, too, is now geared too low for the sand.

Having a couple low-range ratio's seems like wothwhile improvement. Of course, every time I make a change, it seems like a worthwhiole improvement ;p

treerootCO said:
Don't listen to Nutley, he likes J**ps. :D

I didn't even think about it on the Slaughterhouse run but you are welcome to drive my 40 anytime. I would have let you drive on Holy Cross but you didn't show up :flipoff2:

I almost ran Kelly Flats yesterday....

How about the Ghost Town run next weekend? Are you and the family going to make it?

lol...yeah...really wanted to go on holy cross! :( Pablo Cruise and I are talkin' bout a run up Kelly Flats soon, you should come along! Can't go on the Ghost town...going to Lake McConaughy with the fam. I still need to get down to get that PS setup if you still have it...and a spare...and a bumper carrier...and...

sheesh...maybe I should just go for the Orion now to save some cash... :cool: I'm sure 58:1 is good...then if I ever swap for H41 or H55...

i am going to have to say orion or atlas but, probably orion.

I vote toybox but i"m biased.. Got 2 of em..
in the FJ40, stock 2f, h41, 4.7 toybox, splitcase geared about 216:1
I live the ability to go into the 4.7 box and leave the tcase in high unless i wanna do something stupid then I go into stupid low.. Most people will tell you it aint' gonna fit in an FJ40.. It will, I modified my Confer skidplate to fit as a crossmember under the toybox cause I ran out of time and it was easy.. A cv in the back and done.. I"m still sprung under and run 38.5"s also..
I find I use 4.7 most of the time and shift the tranny to keep up with everyone.. And the adapability of the toybox is awesome.. It'll bolt to just about anything.. Tranny wise or tcase wise.

One tip.. If your wanting to go gonzo here.. Why would you use a 3spd case? Brittle, etc.. Go split or go home.. Frydaddy has broken at least one 3spd case behind his toybox, I think he's looking into going split or mintruck here shortly. If you ever want to go to a centered rear axle then the toybox can easily be adapted to a mini case and your done..

My other toybox is behind a 700r4 and has a splitcase behind it.. THey are awesome adapters!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom