Please help me decide wheel change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I really need some solid advice before I pull the trigger swapping out my wheels this week. I’m concerned my offset will effect my wheel bearings over time, gears, etc. My current setup just doesn’t work well. I’m hitting the KDSS and lower sway link bar at full turn and the gearing doesn’t like pushing around 101lbs per wheel/tire. I plan on making this my last LC for many years. I am looking for a happy medium of aesthetics,function and dependability. I understand offset and rotating weight can play a big part. Is the weight savings and offset difference going to make a big enough impact overall with my options below.

Current setup: (37lbs)18x9 Method +18offset on 35x12.50/r18 (KO2 64lbs)

OPTION 1: Keep wheels and replace tires with a 295/70/18 Cooper AT3 XLT weights 54lbs or 285/70/r18 Nitto RG weighs 60lbs-this size might look small(squared)on my method wheels with the bead locks ring pushing outward a little.

Option 2: 17x8.5 (27lbs) satin black ICON rebound +25 offset with either a 285/75/17 KO2 or 285/75/18 Nitto RG weighs 64.5lbs or 295/70/17 Cooper XLT weighs 58lbs(might be a bit to wide) and hit lower sway link bar and KDSS. They also make a 285/75/17. Similar weight

Current setup 35x12.50/r18 KO2
B9E03998-5891-40B2-A2B2-E5A5902C3FF6.jpeg

Last edited:
I personally would just start with going with a narrower and shorter(33")Tire with those current wheels and see how that works out... I don't really think that offset is going to be problematic overtime.. many of the tundra guys run 0 offset Wheels and don't seem to have issues .. remember our front unit bearings are beefy about equivalent to an F-350.. just my 2cents..

Terra Grappler G2 come in a 295/70/18 that weighs 50.64 lbs and they have a 305/60/18 that weighs 54 lbs but it is much shorter at 32.41" and might look too small. None of these are LT tires so it would ride better.

I really need some solid advice before I pull the trigger swapping out my wheels this week. I’m concerned my offset will effect my wheel bearings over time, gears, etc. My current setup just doesn’t work well. I’m hitting the KDSS and lower sway link bar at full turn and the gearing doesn’t like pushing around 101lbs per wheel/tire. I plan on making this my last LC for many years. I am looking for a happy medium of aesthetics,function and dependability. I understand offset and rotating weight can play a big part. Is the weight savings and offset difference going to make a big enough impact overall with my options below.

Current setup: (37lbs)18x9 Method +18offset on 35x12.50/r18 (KO2 64lbs)

OPTION 1: Keep wheels and replace tires with a 295/70/18 Cooper AT3 XLT weights 54lbs or 285/70/r18 Nitto RG weighs 60lbs-this size might look small(squared)on my method wheels with the bead locks ring pushing outward a little.

Option 2: 17x8.5 (27lbs) satin black ICON rebound +25 offset with either a 285/75/17 KO2 or 285/75/18 Nitto RG weighs 64.5lbs or 295/70/17 Cooper XLT weighs 58lbs(might be a bit to wide) and hit lower sway link bar and KDSS. They also make a 285/75/17. Similar weight

Current setup 35x12.50/r18 KO2
View attachment 2198258

Sounds to me like you are stuck in the typical "Looks vs. Preformance" quandry. You like the look of those 35's you have, but don't like the performance.

My suggestion will probably not be popular, but if you really want to enjoy your rig for the long haul, and want the best OVERALL performance, then I would strongly suggest a third option:

Option 3: Either the 17" Icon's (+25 Offset) or 17" TRD Rock Warrior (+50 Offset and my personal choice) wheels with LT285/70R17 KO2's.

You may not be crazy about the look, but believe me, the LT285/70R17 KO2's are plenty big enough for our rigs.

HTH

I would rather skip the RW wheels. It may seem silly but I see a ton of RW wheels on most the 200’s around here or they are stock wheels. I like to have my LC a little more unique.
Sounds to me like you are stuck in the typical "Looks vs. Preformance" quandry. You like the look of those 35's you have, but don't like the performance.

My suggestion will probably not be popular, but if you really want to enjoy your rig for the long haul, and want the best OVERALL performance, then I would strongly suggest a third option:

Option 3: Either the 17" Icon's (+25 Offset) or 17" TRD Rock Warrior (+50 Offset and my personal choice) wheels with LT285/70R17 KO2's.

You may not be crazy about the look, but believe me, the LT285/70R17 KO2's are plenty big enough for our rigs.

HTH
Thanks for the good feedback. I would rather skip the RW wheels. It may seem silly but I see a ton of RW wheels on most the 200’s around here or they are stock wheels. I like to have my LC a little more unique. The 285/70 would be the wiser choice but it would just bug me to see a lot of rear wheel liner as to why a 285/75 would be a compromise from stepping down from my current setup. It’s not necessarily performance I’m looking for as i don’t drive fast and take corners fast.

I would rather skip the RW wheels. It may seem silly but I see a ton of RW wheels on most the 200’s around here or they are stock wheels. I like to have my LC a little more unique.

Thanks for the good feedback. I would rather skip the RW wheels. It may seem silly but I see a ton of RW wheels on most the 200’s around here or they are stock wheels. I like to have my LC a little more unique. The 285/70 would be the wiser choice but it would just bug me to see a lot of rear wheel liner as to why a 285/75 would be a compromise from stepping down from my current setup. It’s not necessarily performance I’m looking for as i don’t drive fast and take corners fast.

I am a big tire guy in principle:

FatBoyBudLouWeb_08FEB15_zpsnzui5wk9.jpg

And I appreciate your preference, but I don't see excessive rear wheel liner myself (pic is before I installed drawers and totally unloaded) even less when loaded:

LC200SnowWeb_07DEC13_zpsc96b89d6.jpg

But obviously, it's your choice.

Good luck with whatever you decide :cheers:

Edit to add:

After drawer install and a light load:

LC200WhiteSands_24FEB17_zpsawcsl86k.jpg

Last edited:
It’s not necessarily performance I’m looking for as i don’t drive fast and take corners fast.

When I said, "best OVERALL performance," I meant things like good onroad and offroad, no rubbing, less effect on mileage, acceleration and braking, in line with Toyota design criteria, and overall not a constant conciousness of big tires at all 4 corners.

HTH

I am a big tire guy in principle:

FatBoyBudLouWeb_08FEB15_zpsnzui5wk9.jpg

And I appreciate your preference, but I don't see excessive rear wheel liner myself (pic is before I installed drawers and totally unloaded) even less when loaded:

LC200SnowWeb_07DEC13_zpsc96b89d6.jpg

But obviously, it's your choice.

Good luck with whatever you decide :cheers:

Edit to add:

After drawer install and a light load:

LC200WhiteSands_24FEB17_zpsawcsl86k.jpg
Is yours lifted? If not, that’s why you don’t see daylight in the wheel wells. If lifted, then I need to rethink my size.

You're paying a heavy penalty on those wheels. 38lbs is a load. That is more than 18" steelies.
LT tires in the 33+ sizes are 65 to 80 lbs each. That's the range. It is what it is, and without gears it probably isn't any fun.

Did you look at the 33" P rated 18s? 275/70r18 for example

I'd recommend craigslisting some Tundra 18" alloys (weight is 28 to 31, ignore the wide shiny five spoke, it's heavy); then tire up with an 18 LT or P that you like for your use case. You can also try to sell the wheels/tires you have as a package if they are in good shape. Probably this is close to a zero true cost.

Cost no barrier I'd be in 17" international steelies with 35x10.5R17 on them, and I'm pretty sure that's not what you're after :)

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 10.14.15 AM.png

Rock warriors can be powder coated to make them look quite different, as well as leaving off the rings if you don’t need the rock protection.

I’ve seen a bunch of color schemes that take the “same as everyone else” away completely. While I really like the gray color of the main wheel, personally I think the polished rings look stupid, but I don’t care enough to justify the expense of changing them on my truck.

At the end of the day they are basically impossible to beat for most builds if function is much higher on your list than form. That is why they are so popular.

You're paying a heavy penalty on those wheels. 38lbs is a load. That is more than 18" steelies.
LT tires in the 33+ sizes are 65 to 80 lbs each. That's the range. It is what it is, and without gears it probably isn't any fun.

Did you look at the 33" P rated 18s? 275/70r18 for example

I'd recommend craigslisting some Tundra 18" alloys (weight is 28 to 31, ignore the wide shiny five spoke, it's heavy); then tire up with an 18 LT or P that you like for your use case. You can also try to sell the wheels/tires you have as a package if they are in good shape. Probably this is close to a zero true cost.

Cost no barrier I'd be in 17" international steelies with 35x10.5R17 on them, and I'm pretty sure that's not what you're after :)

View attachment 2198449
I had not ideal they were so heavy. They are practically new, not a single mark on them. I think I’ll just put them on here and craigslist for sale as set. The tires have tons of tread left.

If you change your mind on RWs, I’ve got a set of 5 locally I’ve been on the fence about selling.

If you change your mind on RWs, I’ve got a set of 5 locally I’ve been on the fence about selling.
I appreciate that, thank you. But, I’ve already ordered the ICONs and was debating whether to continue with having them installed or not. But at this point, I am .

I missed the weight earlier on your wheel..that is surprising the difference between the weights of the 17 and 18 inch wheels !

Since you're looking for something rare/unique...why not get Heritage Edition rims from Eric? Yes, they are expensive, but light weight and you don't see many around.

Since you're looking for something rare/unique...why not get Heritage Edition rims from Eric? Yes, they are expensive, but light weight and you don't see many around.
I’m not a fan of the wheel design, another reason I didn’t purchase a Heritage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom