Please help - I am an idiot - Hood latch installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I really screwed up.

I was putting on a hood latch on my 83 fj60 and forgot to connect the cable to it !

I bolted the three bolts securing the latch to the body and thought I aligned things - then I shut the hood and realized I forgot to put the cable back on the latch !

Any ideas on how I can activate the latch and open the hood again without completely destroying the body and hood of the truck ?

Many thanks in advance for any ideas .

can you use a long screwdriver to actuate it through the grill?

My hood latch cable broke (long time ago) and I kinda remember I had to remove the grill and reach up with some pliers ? There may be an easier way, though ...

I can get to the little handle that you use once you pop the hood with the cable. The problem is, at least from what I understood as the operation, is that the whole locking is a two-part process. The metal loop of the hood gets caught in a part that needs to be released by the cable. Once that is freed, then you can squeeze the little handle to free the hood the rest of the way. Its that first part that needs to be freed.

My hood latch cable broke (long time ago) and I kinda remember I had to remove the grill and reach up with some pliers ? There may be an easier way, though ...

I am inside now warming up - can you refresh me if it is possible to remove the grille without the hood popped ?

I honestly don't remember - I *thought* it was just a few screws and plastic clips... You might have to access those from underneath ? I don't have the stock bumper.

Google dig up this old mud thread with someone else in your same predicament and how they solved it:

Ha you ARE an idiot. Who would do that? Oh wait, I did it once on my 4runner...

I had to take the front grille off then I could access some latch bolts. But that is a 4runner, may be different on the 60.

I honestly don't remember - I *thought* it was just a few screws and plastic clips... You might have to access those from underneath ? I don't have the stock bumper.
It is just a few. But mine has 2 screws, one on each side of the upper portion of the grill, that connect it to each one of the headlight bezels. Those can only be removed with the hood open.

I'll throw in my opinion. You are indeed an idiot ;)

Welcome to the idiot’s club. When I did that, I went full frontal & broke a tab off a headlight surround.

Last edited:
Well it ended up being alot easier than I thought. There is enough clearance to get a 1/4 wobble and 10mm socket to undo the three screws holding the latch on and so I just did that. It took a couple minutes and the problem was solved. Just had to go out and get a new 1/4” wobble as I broke my last one (Craftsman).

Thanks for all the replies.

F5167BB0-033C-4B82-A8B9-60A1DE955B30.jpeg

We’ve all had those moments... glad you got er’ figured out 😁

Just an FYI - This is the best (most useful and high-quality) 1/4" ratchet I've ever owned.

LINK

1573935359816.png

Is this small enough to work on the carb bolts too?

No. There's no ratchet that will work in that tight space. For carb bolts I use a 12mm stubby and a 12mm generic Distributor wrench that I've bent up in a vise to clear the stuff around the carb. I found one cheap at a swap meet, but I think Harbor Freight has them too.

came across this too late. I'm glad the OP got it opened. Here a another tread on a similar topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom