Planning April solo trip to Kings Canyon-Death Valley-Mojave--Recommendations please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.humboldt.edu
Howdy,

Planning a spring trip south from NorCal in early April. Hoping to catch some wildflowers and who knows what else. The relevant part of the trip would be leaving from the SF Bay east toward Yosemite then south. I've been to Yos. a few times and am not planning on going in. I am thinking of going through Fresno and Kings Canyon/Sequoia, stopping in Death Valley to camp for a night, then on to Mojave for a night or two. I've noticed some 4x4 roads in the websites for each, but would like some recommendations from folks who know these areas, or areas outside the parks. I'm looking for some solitude, not hairy rockcrawling--I'm a relatively novice wheeler with a mostly stock rig (BJ42, no lockers or winch, H55F with granny 1st, 33x9.5 ATs, hopefully with finally have my parabolics on by then FWIW, little or no recovery gear (probably invest in at least a tow strap and hi-lift before I go)). Would like to get out where your average Joe can't, but then I'm probably an average Joe...

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,
:beer: B

Brendan-Do yourself a favor and get Roger Mitchell's books that cover the area you plan to visit. He's been poking around in all the odd corners of California since before I was born. Death Valley in particular doesn't have much hardcore territory but has miles and miles of ancient dirt roads that lead to adventure. SOme things to go see in no particular order:

The Racetrack
Hidden Valley
Goler Wash
South Park Canyon/South Park/Middle Park
Hungry Bill's (hike required)
Panamint City (long hike required with overnight stay)
Saline Valley
Titus Canyon if it ever reopens

It sounds like you want to explore the remote places in the desert. That's great fun, and very interesting. You don't need a hard core truck for most of that. What you need is a relaible truck with everything in top-notch shape, so you arn't left stranded. Tell someone where you are and when they should hear from you.

There is months of 4 wheel exploring to do in the Eastern Sierras.

One other thing-You probably will not be able to cross Tioga Pass through Yosemite in April. The passes you can cross will be via Lake Tahoe and through Bakersfield. Tioga Pass will not open until the snow melts, sometimes as late as July.

Mitchell's books are old school with no GPS but excellent route finding info, and more fauna, history and geology than you will want to read. His books read like a labor of love from the old days. Start with "Death Valley SUV Trails" and go from there. Have fun.

Well FWIW here are some pics of my trip. I ended up doing less wheeling than I had planned, and ended up doing the E. Cali swing in early May rather than April. Started the trip with a swing down the 1 and a camping stop south of Big Sur (first pic). I got a little paranoid being solo and not having spare parts etc., but I also found I really needed a GPS to locate trailheads etc. on Tom Harrison maps. Still I had a fun time. The BJ is amazing. I got a solid 25 mpg on the long freeway runs (@ 55-60 mph) and never got below the low 20s mpg even when wheeling and doing 3rd gear climbs over 8000+ ft. passes. ;p :flipoff2:
misc 065.jpg
Mojave-Death Valley-Mono Lake 032.jpg
Mojave-Death Valley-Mono Lake 037.jpg

Cool pictures B, I am jealous, I hope to be able to take a long trip like that someday. Thats really good gas milage, you suck!:flipoff2: :) Have a safe drive dude.:beer:

looks like a great trip. more pics!

looks like Limekiln where you stayed near Big Sur? beautiful place to spend a couple days.

Wow 25 miles on a gallon. Very nice. How is the power compared to a 2F?

loeky said:
looks like a great trip. more pics!

looks like Limekiln where you stayed near Big Sur? beautiful place to spend a couple days.

Thanx, yep, Limekiln. Knew nothing about it, was just tired of driving for the day. Hiked all around the trails etc. Now I've got an awesome spot for life...

cpg said:
Wow 25 miles on a gallon. Very nice. How is the power compared to a 2F?

Power kinda sucks compared to the 2F, but then again doesn't the 2F suck? The 3B is only about 90 hp and 100 something ft lbs of torque. However, it actually is all the power you need if you don't mind climbing really steep freeway grades at 35 mph... Off road you've got all the torque you need (4.11 axle gears).

'Course, the 3B is easily turbo'd. Check out posts in the Diesel/24v FAQ...

:cheers:
B

More pics by request...
misc 068 reduced.jpg
Mojave-Death Valley-Mono Lake 019.jpg
Mojave-Death Valley-Mono Lake 089.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom