Dark Canyon Wilderness Dispersed Camping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Organizing/initially planning a trip for me and the family for the end of March in the 100 series cruiser. See route below. Struggling to lock in a campsite along the blue route, which runs predominantly through Dark Canyon Wilderness and some of La Sal Manti National Forest .. any recommendations from anyone on here of where to stay? Dispersed is preferred.

It looks like there might be a good campsite right at the edge of the canyon at an airstrip -- but unsure the safety/use of that location.

1708104001829.png

Zoomed in on blue area in question:

1708104052254.png

I'm not as familiar with that area south of Dark Canyon, but there is good dispersed camping north of there, particularly if you are entering via Beef Basin.

The Abajos might well be snowed in, so I'd plan accordingly. Didn't melt off until May last year. Was a winch fest getting through there for us.

I'm not as familiar with that area south of Dark Canyon, but there is good dispersed camping north of there, particularly if you are entering via Beef Basin.

The Abajos might well be snowed in, so I'd plan accordingly. Didn't melt off until May last year. Was a winch fest getting through there for us.

Thanks for the tip. We will certainly be cutting it close on a few trails.

I live in Monticello. There are literally hundreds of beautiful dispersed camping spots throughout the elk ridge area. But as mentioned end of March most of that route on your map will still be snowed in. The road you have listed is closed until June or july.

You will not be able to do the route in blue at the end of March. 100% gaurantee the gates will be closed. I work with the guy who opens them every year.

I live in Monticello. There are literally hundreds of beautiful dispersed camping spots throughout the elk ridge area. But as mentioned end of March most of that route on your map will still be snowed in. The road you have listed is closed until June or july.

You will not be able to do the route in blue at the end of March. 100% gaurantee the gates will be closed. I work with the guy who opens them every year.
Wow thank you so so much. The YouTube channel I follow did this route at the end of march at some point .. and clearly isn’t completely accurate.

Wow thank you so so much. The YouTube channel I follow did this route at the end of march at some point .. and clearly isn’t completely accurate.
Some years it probably could be done end of March. But this year we have enough snow it won't happen.

You could probably access some of the elk ridge end of March but don't expect to make it up and over horse mtn or the abajos.

Where your route shows Kigalia and peavine is the area you might have luck. Try heading up from blanding on the cottonwood rd. Or heading up through the bears ears by bridges national monument.

Some years it probably could be done end of March. But this year we have enough snow it won't happen.

You could probably access some of the elk ridge end of March but don't expect to make it up and over horse mtn or the abajos.

Where your route shows Kigalia and peavine is the area you might have luck. Try heading up from blanding on the cottonwood rd. Or heading up through the bears ears by bridges national monument.

Is Elk Ridge Scene Backway okay this time of the year?

Truly appreciate this, thanks a ton. Any other areas that I should avoid this early in the season? What elevation do you suspect I should stay under?

Attaching updated blue route and updated overall route.

1708446974196.png

1708446951545.png

Is Elk Ridge Scene Backway okay this time of the year?

Truly appreciate this, thanks a ton. Any other areas that I should avoid this early in the season? What elevation do you suspect I should stay under?

Attaching updated blue route and updated overall route.

View attachment 3562372

View attachment 3562371

I do not think the elk ridge scenic byway could be completed this time of year. I guess you could probably go north on the byway from the actual bears ears and see quite a bit of the elk ridge. But than you will get to a section that you couldn't pay me to drive if it was muddy snowy, or otherwise slick.

I think your updated routes look good. I'm in monticello at 7,000 ft and the snow is pretty much melted off. Start getting higher than 7,000 and it can change rapidly depending on wind drifts and slope directions. So you will be good up to 7,000 for sure and probably can get up to 8,500 maybe 9,000. Just depends on where.

Elk ridge is actually pretty flat on top which helps with the snow. If you go up from bears ears than I imagine you could explore all of the top flat roads. It's where the elk ridge meets the abajo mtns that it gets sketchy quick.

Personally I would recommend exploring some of the lower elevation country. Like cedar mesa and comb wash. Comb wash is the nicest weather and camping around here in March and April. Also down around moab the weather will be better.

I do not think the elk ridge scenic byway could be completed this time of year. I guess you could probably go north on the byway from the actual bears ears and see quite a bit of the elk ridge. But than you will get to a section that you couldn't pay me to drive if it was muddy snowy, or otherwise slick.

I think your updated routes look good. I'm in monticello at 7,000 ft and the snow is pretty much melted off. Start getting higher than 7,000 and it can change rapidly depending on wind drifts and slope directions. So you will be good up to 7,000 for sure and probably can get up to 8,500 maybe 9,000. Just depends on where.

Elk ridge is actually pretty flat on top which helps with the snow. If you go up from bears ears than I imagine you could explore all of the top flat roads. It's where the elk ridge meets the abajo mtns that it gets sketchy quick.

Personally I would recommend exploring some of the lower elevation country. Like cedar mesa and comb wash. Comb wash is the nicest weather and camping around here in March and April. Also down around moab the weather will be better.

Thank you very much for your recommendations. We are starting our trip with a day through onion creek and ending our trip (after staying at Ulum) doing shafer trail.

I will probably continue to check-in with you here closer to the trip -- but also, to anyone else that wants to comment/call me crazy/assist - please feel free to chime in.

Thank you very much for your recommendations. We are starting our trip with a day through onion creek and ending our trip (after staying at Ulum) doing shafer trail.

I will probably continue to check-in with you here closer to the trip -- but also, to anyone else that wants to comment/call me crazy/assist - please feel free to chime in.
Always feel free to reach out with a pm if you get stuck or need help. I only work 3 days a week so I could probably help out 🤣

Always feel free to reach out with a pm if you get stuck or need help. I only work 3 days a week so I could probably help out 🤣

Revised the trip: a couple ambitious days here .. that are mostly made up of highway miles, but I think from a weather standpoint and end of March timeframe - this probably works better.

Day 1: Onion Creek Road, Behind the Rock Road (Picture Frame/Balcony Arch) Camp
1708968354741.png

Day 2: Behind the Rock Road to Muley Point
1708968411020.png

Day 3: Muley Point to Alstrom Point through Valley of the Gods
1708968448245.png

Day 4: Alstrom Point through Burning Hills to Torrey, UT
1708968486004.png

Day 5: Torrey, UT back to Moab through Wild Horse Road
1708968544585.png

Total Trip:

1708968586111.png

Looks like an awesome trip. I am still new to this part of the state so I haven't driven all of these routes yet.

But I think you got a great route for end of March. It will be a good time.

If you still want to consider the south rim of lower Dark Canyon, I'd highly recommend camping at/near the top of the Sundance Trail. Can be easily reached from UT 95 between the White Canyon Bridge and Hite. Or you can work it in with a loop from UT 95 near Fry Canyon (access to the east rim of Cheessbox Canyon), over the saddle to the Dark Canyon drainage, then west to the Sundance Trail area, then out to UT 95 east of Hite.

I looked up some road numbers. 227A heads northeast from UT 95 west of Fry Canyon, then gradually north between Cheesebox Canyon (to the east) and Gravel Canyon (to the west). It crosses the ridge to join 256 (Wooden Shoe Road). Head west on 256 to 2821 (Sundance Road). 2821 parallels the rim of Dark Canyon before reaching the Sundance Trailhead. Nice camping there with tremendous views into the canyon. Back to 256, then continue west to 2081, which takes you south back to UT 95.

I looked up some road numbers. 227A heads northeast from UT 95 west of Fry Canyon, then gradually north between Cheesebox Canyon (to the east) and Gravel Canyon (to the west). It crosses the ridge to join 256 (Wooden Shoe Road). Head west on 256 to 2821 (Sundance Road). 2821 parallels the rim of Dark Canyon before reaching the Sundance Trailhead. Nice camping there with tremendous views into the canyon. Back to 256, then continue west to 2081, which takes you south back to UT 95.

I think we are fine heading south and staying low .. Muley Point and Alstrom Point are great back to back campsites. Have a 4 year old, 2 year old and 20 week old … so comfort will be key.

That looks like a great route.

Final route - changed it to counter-clockwise.

This created a long first overnight drive from Denver to Goblin Valley (instead of only to Moab). Realized two things:

1: With young kids, covering as much distance as possible was key, so go furthest West I can while they sleep.
2: We were in Moab twice with the clockwise route, redundant much?!

1709557516655.png

Two nights at Ulum will be loved by the wife, and we will have a full day to explore Shafer Rim Trail / Onion Creek Road.

Looks like a great route! I really like the Notom-Bullfrog Road to Burr Trail section, I first did that almost 30 years ago. Too bad they had to pave a good bit of the Burr Trail. There is a nice kid friendly side hike in the Waterpocket Fold before starting up the Burr Trail - Lower Muley Twist Canyon. Also, four nice side canyons that penetrate the eastern side of the Waterpocket Fold shortly after leaving the highway between Hanksville and Capitol Reef NP. Check this website, under the heading Slot Canyons, for three of these:

I see that you're planning on taking the road through Left Hand Collet Canyon and down to US 89 west of Page. You'll really like that relatively unused route. We didn't take the spur road to Alstrom Point, but I'm sure there are great views.

Have a great trip!

Looks like a great route! I really like the Notom-Bullfrog Road to Burr Trail section, I first did that almost 30 years ago. Too bad they had to pave a good bit of the Burr Trail. There is a nice kid friendly side hike in the Waterpocket Fold before starting up the Burr Trail - Lower Muley Twist Canyon. Also, four nice side canyons that penetrate the eastern side of the Waterpocket Fold shortly after leaving the highway between Hanksville and Capitol Reef NP. Check this website, under the heading Slot Canyons, for three of these:

I see that you're planning on taking the road through Left Hand Collet Canyon and down to US 89 west of Page. You'll really like that relatively unused route. We didn't take the spur road to Alstrom Point, but I'm sure there are great views.

Have a great trip!

Thank you so much for the recommendations - we will be sure to check out the kid friendly hike. Our 20 week old will need awake time and we are aiming to pull over during awake time for hikes and such.

This is why I love this forum - incredible local knowledge. Thank you so much for being open to sharing with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom