planning club runs, how many miles should I plan for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm working on some fun runs for my buddies around the Columbia SC area.
There are hundreds if not thousands of miles of sand and red clay roads around here. Nothing too sporting, but I've had to winch out a clay pit a couple times. There are a few creek crossings too if you know where to look.

How many miles is too many? At an average of 20 to 25 MPH a couple of hours isn't many miles.
So maybe miles isn't the right answer, it could be hours in the seat.
How many is not enough, like you feel you want MORE?

I can't help but think stopping for picnic or lunch at a diner some time in the middle is a good idea. That's what the :princess: and I do. Gives peeps a chance to strech thier legs.
Some Saturday's we'll be gone all day exploring. 6-8 hours in the seat and only be hour from home on paved roads. Perhaps that's a little hard core for others. I really don't know and it's why I'm asking.

Any tips from those that have orgaized back road trips for groups?

Don't forget to factor in how long it will take people to get to the launch area and back home. I've headed a few groups where it was 2.5hrs for me to even get to the launch and I was the closest one. Nobody complained since they all knew what they were getting into, but a lot of us felt like it just wasn't enough dirt time by the time we departed and that feeling was stronger by the time we all returned home.

I'd say that I'm good for 6-8 hours if 4-6 of them aren't paved.

A good factor to consider is the age distribution of the attendies. Me/myself/I can only comfortably handle 4-6 hours in the seat (including highway) knowing I'm north of 60ys. any longer I start to question my judgement :doh:

On multi day adventures that I am involve in the planning, I alway advocate for 2 nights in any one spot. that way there is time to enjoy the surroundings (think white rim trail/alpine loop/etc.). Personally, I like to throw in a hotel night after the off-road portion. you can call me cush, just don't call me......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom