pitman arm/ NY inspection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello...I failed my NY inspection on my '78 fj40
for some stupid issues, my wife thinks the mechanic was jealous of my cruiser and the fine job I did in fixing it :)
2 of the reasons that I have a problem with are
a cracked rear left spring
for the life of me I can't find a crack on the spring in the spot he says maybe he has x ray vision

a bad pitman arm
again I don't see anything wrong with it
here's my questoin
how do I test a pitman arm for any defect?
there is a little play but there is no play in the steering at all .. very very thight in fact I was surprised after I drove it around for about 12 days that it is very very solid, stiff as it should be but it rides better than my exploder (less vibrations, an issue with older xploders)

I think a second opinion is required, on top of that the moron listed a lack of catalytic converter and no air pump... upstate NY emission is not tested, only safety I believe that '78 cruisers didn't come with one so unless the catalytic converter is a safety issue the guy must be on crack
anyone from NYS can confirm this.

thanks
BTW
there is also a leaking carburator but I knew that , I wasn't thinking it would be an issue other than for my wallet, the rebuild kit arrived today from summit so I should fix this in no time

poldo said:
Hello...I failed my NY inspection on my '78 fj40 ...cracked rear left spring....bad pitman arm...on top of that the moron listed a lack of catalytic converter and no air pump... upstate NY emission is not tested, only safety I believe that '78 cruisers didn't come with one so unless the catalytic converter is a safety issue the guy must be on crack...

Why didn't you ask him to show you exactly what was the issue with both the spring and pitman arm? Not for lack of helpful people here, but I think you would get specific info about these issues from the guy who ispected and failed your vehicle. That is of course unless you are just pissed and looking for some support. We can give you that too.

Regarding the catalytic convertor I was always told they started on the FJ40 in 1976 model year. This being the case, yours had one. Not sure when the air pumps started but I know my 08/75 FJ40 had one so yours did originally as well.

EDIT: OK, OK. My 40's have always been 75 or earlier. Sorry about the mis-info on the catalyst stuff. I'm 30 year exempt anyway. Long live leaded fuel!

Last edited:
i had some a$$hole give me the same lame excuse abou my steering, needless to say he had a jeep. took it somewhere else and had no prob.

ask some hot rodders or other people who wheel in your area, they usually know a guy who knows a guy who would inspect it, all be it -fix it, if its a safety hazard but for the time being just find a guy who will do it

Land Cruisers outside of Kalifornia were non-catalyst until 1979, then all Land Cruisers had Catalytic converters. Kalifornia had their own rules about catalyst vehicles, and still do.

Get another opinion, and then if they fail you again, get specific information as to what needs to be addressed, and have them show you the pieces in question

Good luck!

-Steve

Yeah, if you are really concerned about the safety of those parts I'd have him show you exactly what the problems are.

He's prob just some prick with an attitude.

But if you are sure there's no problem, then I wouldn't even waste my time going back to that station. I usually find the most hole in the wall inspection station to get mine done. Move on to the next one.

Glad we do not have to deal with that crap here......yet.

dgangle said:
Why didn't you ask him to show you exactly what was the issue with both the spring and pitman arm? Not for lack of helpful people here, but I think you would get specific info about these issues from the guy who ispected and failed your vehicle. That is of course unless you are just pissed and looking for some support. We can give you that too.

Regarding the catalytic convertor I was always told they started on the FJ40 in 1976 model year. This being the case, yours had one. Not sure when the air pumps started but I know my 08/75 FJ40 had one so yours did originally as well.

The reason I didn't get the exact spot is because the guy wasn't there at the moment and yes I am pissed so I am not going back there
The guy knows me well in several years he has never worked on any of my cars I have had some diagnostic done on my explorer but I never let him fix it
this might be the problem.
I know about the smog stuff including the air pump but the catalytic I have serious doubt was available in 1978

bandy rooster said:
ask some hot rodders or other people who wheel in your area, they usually know a guy who knows a guy who would inspect it, all be it -fix it, if its a safety hazard but for the time being just find a guy who will do it

I will find one .. :)

HawkDriver said:
Yeah, if you are really concerned about the safety of those parts I'd have him show you exactly what the problems are.

He's prob just some prick with an attitude.

But if you are sure there's no problem, then I wouldn't even waste my time going back to that station. I usually find the most hole in the wall inspection station to get mine done. Move on to the next one.

That's my point ..I can't find any problems either with the springs or pitman arm he wasn't there but the other guy that was there wasn't able to show me a crack in the springs he didn't know exactly where it was so I guess it is not visible by human eye :)

Both my '76 FJ40s and a couple '77 FJ40's had stickers on the underhood vacuum diagram and around the VIN tag on the door that stated it was a non-catalyst vehicle. Not sure on '78's if they got the stickers too but you might look for it before your next trip to the inspection station.

Good luck...man, I hate inspection BS. Glad IN did away with it 30 years ago.

Nick

zebrabeefj40 said:
Both my '76 FJ40s and a couple '77 FJ40's had stickers on the underhood vacuum diagram and around the VIN tag on the door that stated it was a non-catalyst vehicle. Not sure on '78's if they got the stickers too but you might look for it before your next trip to the inspection station.

Good luck...man, I hate inspection BS. Glad IN did away with it 30 years ago.

Nick

Guess what .. you are right , mine has the sticker in the same spot as you mention I totally forgot about that , I'll make sure I show it to the next guy
in the meantime I had 3 people looking at the supposed spring crack and noone was able to spot it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom