Pitman Arm nut removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I m in the process of replacing the Pitman Arm & the Drag Link of my BJ 40.

I am unable to remove the 32 mm Nut that holds the Arm. Is it in the normal clockwise thread OR Counter clockwise thread ?
It is so tight & what is the best way to remove it. Not possible to heat due to possible damages to Seals of Power Steering

Kindly advice . Thank you in advance

I m in the process of replacing the Pitman Arm & the Drag Link of my BJ 40.

I am unable to remove the 32 mm Nut that holds the Arm. Is it in the normal clockwise thread OR Counter clockwise thread ?
It is so tight & what is the best way to remove it. Not possible to heat due to possible damages to Seals of Power Steering

Kindly advice . Thank you in advance
Not sure on a 40 but a 80 box is normal clockwise thread.
Removing this nut on my 80 I left the box mounted to the frame, I then used a piece of steel to to jam the pitman arm to the frame ( I used a short piece of square tube clamped to the frame with a big C-clamp ) this way you can't damage the internals of the steering box.
I have and used a 1" socket and 32" breaker bar, if your using 3/4" stuff you may need a cheater bar.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Do you have access to any good penetrating oil products. Kroil, PB Blaster type of stuff. Apply like twice a day for a week to let it soak in and work. I understand that heating to a dull red heat with a rosebud is way too much, but a small flame from a propane will help the oil soak in and also provide some thermal action to help break the chemical bond.

Breaker bar with a cheater will apply more torque than any ratchet can handle. Big truck rated stuff like 1" rattle gun might do the trick - rent/borrow one. Drive your rig to the shop and have them break it loose for you, then go home and finish your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom