Builds Pippy's 97 CE Build Thread (Now with TURBO) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quick update. Started pricing rebuild parts and realized pretty quickly that that was a no-go. I found a guy on mud with a running engine from a 97. It should ship on Monday. I am cleaning up and painting all of the parts, and starting to replace all the hoses. I'm thinking of replacing the HG on the new motor, just for peace of mind, but I'm worried about going too far down that rabbit hole. A reputable machine shop familiar with Toyota says they'll do a full head job (valve seats, valve grind, lash adjustment, shims, deck head, valve guides) for $850. That's a big number. I would be happy doing just the valve seals and flattening the head. What do y'all think?

Dirty parts:
zmk8t6w.jpg
zmk8t6w.jpg

Also, should I remove all the sensors from the throttle body if I'm going to soak it in degreaser? I know on my 3fe there is a screw you dont want to touch. Is there anything to look out for on the 1fz TB?

I just paid $600 to have all the work you described done on the head. They did a pressure test and used that to determine if doing the valves was going to be worth it. It turned out a couple were out of spec so I went ahead and had it done.

I just paid $600 to have all the work you described doe on the head. They did a pressure test and used that to determine if doing the valves was going to be worth it. It turned out a couple were out of spec so I went ahead and had it done.
Where'd you go if you don't mind my asking? The place here in town comes highly recommended by acc garage. Think the valve guides and seals are worth refreshing?

Where'd you go if you don't mind my asking? The place here in town comes highly recommended by acc garage. Think the valve guides and seals are worth refreshing?

If you are taking it in, then yes, the guides and seals are worth doing. They come with the grind kit anyway, which you would want if you are pulling the head.

I went to the place that my local Toyota dealer sends their stuff to. I went over there and talked to them. They hadn't done this motor, but they were not one bit concerned about being able to do it. I gave them a printout of the FSM section for the job and he did say that they used it to double check against the computer program they have says, which it did. It was just a two guy shop, one old guy that did all of the complicated stuff and a younger guy that handles the customers and does some of the lighter stuff. They did a great job and the motor runs perfectly from what I can tell so far. At first they didn't think doing the valves would be necessary, but after testing it, they called me to let me know what they found. It was only another $250 to just have it done and now I won't worry about if I should have or not.

That said, if your new motor doesn't show any signs of needing a HG, then you could just wait on it until the time comes, if it ever does.

Last edited:
That said, if your new motor doesn't show any signs of needing a HG, then you could just wait on it until the time comes, if it ever does.

That's kinda the direction I'm leaning as well. The new engine has 155k on in though, so it would be nice to have it done.

That's kinda the direction I'm leaning as well. The new engine has 155k on in though, so it would be nice to have it done.
True, but would be another $1000, minimum, that you would spend right now, vs getting it running and then seeing where you end up. Mine had 253,000 on it when I did it and when I got down there, the gasket was still OK.

Update time.

Been spending a lot of time cleaning up and painting parts.
7JlPeQE.jpg

PId8oU3.jpg

9Y2Uvza.jpg

Also got the new used engine from a guy in dallas and got it up on the stand and broken down. took the head to the machine shop and had them give it a full overhaul.
A6Wc1In.jpg

OesTZdY.jpg

While waiting for the head, I spent a stupid amount of time trying to get the dang crank bolt off. Victim number one:
2FBfwGE.jpg

Victim number 2:
Nglh118.jpg

Finally got it off with a 6ft pipe and a 3/4" breaker bar with the engine stand strapped down to heavy things to keep it from tipping over.

Now with the block cleaned up, I found this:
HJHNWQX.jpg

Pitting at cyl 6 right at the edge of the cylinder. A little annoyed about this one. The guy who sold it swore up and down that the engine was perfect. Looks like the hg blew between the cyl and the coolant jacket. Win some lose some I guess. Debating whether to take it to the machine shop. I would value the peace of mind, but not sure if it's worth opening that can o worms.

I've seen lots of blocks like that when doing head gasket, I would use plastic scraper brake clean razor blade, and red scotch brite on the block get it fairly clean, then when putting back together use some hylomar which will fill in the pitting, then place gasket, as far as the cylinder stain on top pretty common too, some scotch brite lightly scrub around that while keeping it wet with brake clean, then lightly oil the cylinder and run the piston up and down while wiping out all the crud that comes up till it is clean, good to go

I've seen lots of blocks like that when doing head gasket, I would use plastic scraper brake clean razor blade, and red scotch brite on the block get it fairly clean, then when putting back together use some hylomar which will fill in the pitting, then place gasket, as far as the cylinder stain on top pretty common too, some scotch brite lightly scrub around that while keeping it wet with brake clean, then lightly oil the cylinder and run the piston up and down while wiping out all the crud that comes up till it is clean, good to go

Thanks for the tip. I was just reading a bit about the hylomar stuff. What do you think of the JB Weld trick to fill it in a bit?

My block looked like that. I didn't do the block plane. I don't know if what I did will last forever, but once you do a HG, you can do one in a weekend.

Looks fantastic, BTW. I like that paint.

This is my on going project. At least the motor works! I used anti seize as a bare metal treatment. My exhaust manifolds are dry and silver now. I live in the super rust belt, everything needs to be coated somehow.

Dropbox - 20161110_193832.mp4

Last edited:
Bravo red! Glad to see you got it all back together and running nicely. I'm going to fill the pits with jb weld, and sand it flat (yes, the thing I said I would never do lol), then use hylomar on the gasket. Overkill? Yea probably.

Bravo red! Glad to see you got it all back together and running nicely. I'm going to fill the pits with jb weld, and sand it flat (yes, the thing I said I would never do lol), then use hylomar on the gasket. Overkill? Yea probably.
You know, the sandpaper does work. I am not sure if I have more piston wear now that I did it, but it did cut down on my prep time and I thought it got things cleaner than I was getting with the scrubbies(I didn't have the red ones, I tried some regular green ones). I did do my best to vacuum, wipe and blow any leftover bits out before I put it back together. No regrets so far.

I think you did the right thing here to take it apart, even if it looked good before. That area by number six looked suspicious and I bet you would have been doing this anyway before too long.

Thanks for the kind words about my rebuild effort. That was by far the biggest job I have done on a car and I have much more confidence in my abilities now. Now if I could just figure out the electrical issue that keeps blowing my 10 amp fuse I could be driving in the snow we are getting right now.

Keep up the good work and be sure to keep us updated!

Well boys and girls, It's been a while but I am happy to report that Pippy's CE build thread is back from the dead!

Lots has happened since my last post. We got pregnant, remodeled our whole house, had a baby, continue to pay for said baby, and continue to try to keep up with the hunnydo-list, but nevertheless, pippy presses on. Here's a quick summary of the last 24 months:

Kitchen before:
ytS49Y7.jpg

During:
ASaSz0Z.jpg

Aaannd still working
TCxBK16.jpg

Kitchen After
ZSBW7IC.jpg

New bathroom too
olWb1xm.jpg

Oh yea, and I built a little deck.
Rjt5LuY.jpg

And we got a big ol silly baby
W4NsOnc.jpg

I sold the red cruiser and bought a 2018 tacoma. She's a beauty.
129FvhT.jpg

This week I bit the bullet and got a 15 yard dumpster and got to work clearing out the garage of all the leftover remodeling junk (and attic junk and yard junk) to set up a proper work space. I was totally unprepared for a project car when I got the black cruiser, and I figured if I am going to do this I should do it right. I came very close to selling it but I just couldn't do it. The Tacoma is great, but it just doesn't have the same weight and heavy duty feel that the 80 does. I'm glad I decided to keep it.

So stay tuned friends, hopefully progress will be made shortly!

Just read your whole thread, I have way too many projects like this, buy them when I'm totally unprepared then they sit for ages before I make decent progress on them. I've got a 105 here in Australia with the 1fz so I'm keen to watch your project

I spent some time getting ready to jump back in. I consider this akin to meeting to discuss topics of discussion for the next meeting. Not that interesting but necessary nonetheless.

My garage was not ready when I bought this truck I had it set up as a wood shop, and when I bought the truck, I sped home to clear some room before the towtruck arrived. As a result, I was working in cramped, cluttered conditions and I want this next push to be more enjoyable.

Also, during the renovation the garage became a default dump spot for things that needed to move out of the way, and it was packed to the gills with junk, furniture, construction materials, etc. I rented a 15yd dumpster and spent a week aggressively purging anything I haven't needed in more than 6 months. I wish I had a before picture, it was a huge task. I think this should be an annual ritual. I also bought some heavy duty shelving and got everything organized and easy to get to.

mpPsOIP.jpg

lpBt2qw.jpg

Next comes the task of getting the cruiser, sans engine, back up my sloped driveway into the garage. Sounds like a pretty good excuse to buya winch! I installed this nifty thing to use as an anchor point. Will be pulling the truck in this week after a good pressure wash.

twNPzfI.jpg

ZQuyDb1.jpg

lyAsQ3q.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom