Wit's End Turbo Owners - Thread #2..... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I am starting this thread intending it for discussion among those who did receive a turbo kit from Wit's End for the 1FZ-FE. It is intended for discussions related to the installation, maintenance, and upgrades of/to the kit. It is not intended for any comments or content related to Wit's End itself or to the owner of Wit's End. Please respect that intent, as the other Wit's End Turbo Owners thread was locked as it had morphed into discussions about the ongoing issues with Wit's End and the owner.

There is a thread that was started in the Bad Sellers section to discuss and track Wit's End problems:

The original Wit's End Turbo Owners thread is linked below:

And the original Bolt On Turbo Kit design/build thread:

Thanks,

Mike

First picture for this new thread of my oil catch can design, installed.

IMG_6930.JPG

I’m pretty hesitant to put this back together in its original configuration. Maybe I’m wrong here - but it ran great the first unboosted 30k miles 🤷‍♂️ could also be my driving in a lot of mountains.

I’d still have done it the same way. Was a lot of fun til it wasn’t. Am I insane and should just rebuild an oem head and go back to town?
I don’t want to mess with the ecu and know that limits my mod ability to internals a bit.

Yeah I am not sure what happened, I am arm chair quarter backing at this point since I did not see the head prior to install and only after, but there are dozens if not 100's of boosted 1FZ's whether it is SC or Turbo'd that haven't had problems so it makes me think there was something else going on. One of the major jobs of valve seats is to carry heat away from the valves, if your valves were not setup properly I could see you having an issue. Your after pictures it is very clear that the exhaust was sunk way too deep and intake was too shallow. I hate to see that you are back into your engine again after having just done it but I feel like as you put it back together make sure you are double and triple checking things.

Yeah I am not sure what happened, I am arm chair quarter backing at this point since I did not see the head prior to install and only after, but there are dozens if not 100's of boosted 1FZ's whether it is SC or Turbo'd that haven't had problems so it makes me think there was something else going on. One of the major jobs of valve seats is to carry heat away from the valves, if your valves were not setup properly I could see you having an issue. Your after pictures it is very clear that the exhaust was sunk way too deep and intake was too shallow. I hate to see that you are back into your engine again after having just done it but I feel like as you put it back together make sure you are double and triple checking things.
As always, appreciate the input @scottryana . To be honest, I'm strongly debating a rebuild vs a 1HD-FTE swap. That diesel goodness would be a lot of fun. Especially with the amount of distance I drive this thing.
To keep it turbo related, I have a question for the group.
If you were in my position and you could make any modifications to the WE kit without needing an ECU/Tune setup, what would you do? Anything in the head? Intercooler, etc?
Trying to convince myself which way to go and currently at 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

As always, appreciate the input @scottryana . To be honest, I'm strongly debating a rebuild vs a 1HD-FTE swap. That diesel goodness would be a lot of fun. Especially with the amount of distance I drive this thing.
If you were in my position and you could make any modifications to the WE kit without needing an ECU/Tune setup, what would you do? Anything in the head? Intercooler, etc?
Trying to convince myself which way to go and currently at 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.
1HD-FTE is a sweet engine one I would have if I was a diesel guy 10:1 vs a 6BT.

@OutlawMike Thanks for opening a new thread, I know I have questions from time to time. For example, a bit like @Wompom, I currently have my head off and dropped it at the machine shop yesterday. Nothing wrong with the head gasket, but I wanted to replace the valve stem seals and figured I'd just go all the way and pull the head and do the gasket for piece of mind.

My question for the group, and I think this topic came up in one of the other turbo threads - looking at my spark plugs, how do they look to you? Should I replace? Replace with the same ones, or do something different? This is after about 10,000 miles boosted, a total of 190,000 on the motor. They are the plugs that come with the WE kit.

IMG_0423.JPEG
IMG_0424.JPEG
IMG_0425.JPEG

They look great except #2 which obviously has an oil seal leaking.
Yeah, that one definitely had some oil on it. Think I can run them some more?

Prior to my turbo install at 200k miles, I had a local shop rebuild the head and use aftermarket valves while ceramic coating the pistons. It lasted about 3k miles before poor compression. I then had a LC specialty shop re-do the head gasket...maybe got another 2k miles out of it before compression issues showed back up.

Now I've got a basically new 1FZ-FE after buying a new short block, head and internals. All stock. Taking it easy for the first 1k miles.

My opinion...keep it as stock as possible and be very picky with who does your work.

I’m pretty hesitant to put this back together in its original configuration. Maybe I’m wrong here - but it ran great the first unboosted 30k miles 🤷‍♂️ could also be my driving in a lot of mountains.

I’d still have done it the same way. Was a lot of fun til it wasn’t. Am I insane and should just rebuild an oem head and go back to town?
I don’t want to mess with the ecu and know that limits my mod ability to internals a bit.

Going diesel is not going to be much better.

Just saying.

Prior to my turbo install at 200k miles, I had a local shop rebuild the head and use aftermarket valves while ceramic coating the pistons. It lasted about 3k miles before poor compression. I then had a LC specialty shop re-do the head gasket...maybe got another 2k miles out of it before compression issues showed back up.

Now I've got a basically new 1FZ-FE after buying a new short block, head and internals. All stock. Taking it easy for the first 1k miles.

My opinion...keep it as stock as possible and be very picky with who does your work.

I‘d love to hear more about what happened.

Sounds like a literal super tanker of money that you spent in a lot of different ways that did not work out very well.

How are you chalking all of that up?

Yeah I am with Beno, what happened? I would be curious to know. When you say bad compression what was it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom