Pink Milkshake in Friends 3rd Gen 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Twin Ports of Superior, WI and Duluth, MN
Hi all,

I am much more involved with the 80 Series tech chat here but I have a friend that needs a hand with his truck. He discovered the pink milkshake in his truck and he doesn't think he has had it for very long. I have never dealt with this problem, but I did poke around on some of the other forums and I am getting mixed ideas.

He wants to try to do a manual type fluid exchange in the trans and install a new radiator, both of which I have done before on my LC. I am just not sure if it's worth it to even try or that if we do, that he should have much hope for the tranny longer term.

Has anyone ever dealt with this issue before and if so, what was your experience? We can get a used tranny from a junkyard for $400 but then we have to get it in and I have never done that. I am assuming the motor and trans have to come out together and then the trans has to be bolted back up, but I am not sure how long that will take or if there are other things that we would need to replace along the way. He doesn't have a lot of money and the truck is his daily driver and he can't afford a new car at the moment. I don't mind helping him(although I am less excited about doing the trans replacement due to the time it would take and the fact that I have a bunch of projects I wanted to get to on my 80).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Red

hey Red ,

i have dealt with this unique 3rd gen. JDM 4runner Fanomanom several times

U need to do a Transmission Power Flush with a dealership type SST type mechanical machine , install a New Radiator

& use a Full synthetic ATF like Mobile 1 for example

all said this is a 50/50 Scenerio , i have had them be fine and continue on , then i have had them start slipping right after u do all of the prescribed above

Forget about a Used Tranny from a junk yard , they might have had the same problem and u would never know .............

only install a rebuilt one with a warranty from a Reputable company like Jasper Engines for example

The Strawberry Milkshake Radiator Core Failure sucks , its a costly repair that often exceeds the value of the truck itself for sure

I am a Gambler man , I personally would do the Flush , But How many miles has been driven on the failure , that is the big question ?

Thanks Matt!

The only real choice here is for him to try the flush and hope for the best. We are going to do the exchange method that I have used before and then do it again after 1000 miles if the truck makes it that far. He really can't afford the used transmission, let alone a rebuilt one.

Fingers crossed!

Whats “ the pump “. ?

Also , I forgot to mention earlier

Antifreeze coolant is Acidic & will make short work of the Babbot on all the bearings crank , if any cam ones and other journals

So important not to drive 4runner and also do the flush asap

I use 1-800 Radatior for all my OEM stuff , there parts quality and service can’t be beet

Also power flush with hot water the cooling system as well

Please feel free to give me a call any time at the shop

I have the OEM print media FSM for that truck

Here is what I did on mine. Pull cooler hose and put into bucket. Have lots of tranny fluid ready-around 30 quarts. Start engine and let the fluid dump into bucket until it runs out. Yes it will be running dry for short periods but u gotta get the milkshake out or it'll kill the Trans. Shut off engine and add 4 quarts. Start again until it runs out, shut off and add another 4 quarts. Repeat until fluid is cherry red and NO hint of milkshake comes out. Install your new radiator or hook all back up or hook up to your new clean external cooler and top off atf . I have 40k on my pink milkshake tranny with supercharger.

Here is what I did on mine. Pull cooler hose and put into bucket. Have lots of tranny fluid ready-around 30 quarts. Start engine and let the fluid dump into bucket until it runs out. Yes it will be running dry for short periods but u gotta get the milkshake out or it'll kill the Trans. Shut off engine and add 4 quarts. Start again until it runs out, shut off and add another 4 quarts. Repeat until fluid is cherry red and NO hint of milkshake comes out. Install your new radiator or hook all back up or hook up to your new clean external cooler and top off atf . I have 40k on my pink milkshake tranny with supercharger.
This is exactly what I had planned on doing, minus the external cooler. I will probably swap out the radiator first so we don't overheat the motor and then we are going to run at least 5 gallons of ATF through it now and may do more than that after reading what you did and just get 10 gallons now. I plan on doing it again for him after 1000 miles if the truck makes it that far.

Thanks guys!

Let me just add this to your dilemma and play devil's advocate for a second, this is a true gamble the reason I said this I have seen this happened
so many times and even if you do get all of the water (which is impossible) there will be damaged done and you are on borrowed time for who knows how long. Not knowing how long have the the transmission running on contaminated fluid will be the main issue if a total flush will save
your trans. Used transmission are plentiful out there even with 200k miles as long it never had any water in it, my 99 T4R is pushing 320k on the original trans and the last time it was service was over 100k miles ago that being said this trans. are almost bullet proof unless it ran out of fluid or water contamination. I'm hoping that you get this thing back on the road and run another 100k miles.

Well, I spent nine hours in the heat dealing with this on Friday. I ran almost 9 gallons of ATF through it and it was coming out nearly clear red by the last flushes. The truck ran fine and shifted fine on the way back to deliver it to the owner. I haven't had any panicked texts this weekend, so I am assuming it's still fine.

That said, yes, this is a gamble and he knows it. We are going to run another 5 gallons of ATF through it again if it makes it a month. The reality is that the guy doesn't have the money for even a used transmission and although it's irritating to someone like me with Mud OCD, I can completely understand why the guy is kind of neglecting the truck. His timing belt is also due and he knows that, but honestly, I had to pay for the ATF, coolant and other supplies because he was flat broke until he got paid on Friday and he did pay me back in cash right away when I dropped the truck off. If this can get him through the winter, he is going to try to save up for some more extensive work in the spring, but he just started working a regular job again recently after trying to make a go as an artist which left him pretty much tapped out.

I have alerted my other friend with a 2002 4Runner that I also help with repairs(he has plenty of money, so that won't be the same situation) occasionally that he he should really add a new radiator to his list of things for his upcoming 90,000 mile service(yes, that is right, he bought the truck last summer with only 75,000 miles on it) even though I did flush his cooling system this spring and everything looked fine. Avoiding this issue would be at the top of my list if I ever had one of these trucks.

Thanks for all of the feedback and advice! Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
@Red Merle That is very nice of you to do that, I will also advice to both of them to get new lower balljoints you could loose an entire
vehicle when these suckers decide to separate.

Update: So, the truck is still running just fine after another 15K or miles. I think we saved an otherwise nice truck. Worth at least trying for those that run into this issue.

An external cooler as cheap insurance was the only experience I had with this problem on my 3rd gen, fortunately. In my mind the chances of a new radiator failing in the near future is slim to none. If funds are tight I'd run that until an external can be procured and installed.

An external cooler also solves this potential problem. The radiator "cooler" is a joke and all around bad idea.
I second this completely! An external cooler is quite cheap, more effective and safer. I also put on a genuine magnefine trans fluid filter in-line with the trans cooler on mine.

Totally true. Last year my 01 transmission lines were rotting so we replaced all of the lines and hoses and added an oil cooler. There is absolutely no way there can be a mix. My radiator was about two years old at that time and it’s super simple to swap.

I have a friend who got the milkshake and the whole process including a new transmission was about 4K.

After my initial addition of a cooler, i found myself having to change rubber hoses every 1.5 years or 2 years due to them crystalising etc. It was probably low quality hoses, but I eventually went to 3/8 stainless steel braided hose and that definitely is holding up much better and i worry less about abrasion etc.

10 feet was PLENTY for the job and i even ran the extra for the transmission in-line filter. I have some spares in the back in case I ever need it on the road

NB 6AN is roughly equivalent to 3/8 inch

What cooler are you guys running?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom